Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky hd

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
had the box fitted on saturday. called up to add sports and they offered me 3 months half price sports and movies. was pretty chuffed. really enjoying the HD channels + watched a few movies yesterday during my hangover and was extremly happy with the picture! roll on the u-21 final tonight! :D

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
i have hd ready tv have sky plus and normal box in daughters room, pay £17 for sky + and daughter pays £10 for her box, now how much extra roughly would it cost me to have sky hd ..anyone ??

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
i have hd ready tv have sky plus and normal box in daughters room, pay £17 for sky + and daughter pays £10 for her box, now how extra much roughly would it cost me to have sky hd ..anyone ??

It's an extra £10 pm for me, but I don't have multiroom.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
ok thanks for thet..im sure its worth by the feedback on here !:thumbsup:

If you don't have movies or sports I would say it's not worth it though, as you won't have that many HD channels (that you'd want to watch!).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wasn't my TV, it was my mates (and its a decent one, one of those Samsungs).
Don't get me wrong - sport was noticably better, but once you get over the "ooh look I can see the individual blades of grass" and "wow I can see the faces in the crowd", I was left kind of underwhelmed, and after 15 minutes I'd forgotten I was watching HD.

I'll probably upgrade to HD once its free. Certainly not worth paying an extra tenner a month for though, in my opinion. Sky costs enough as it is.

Agree with those sentiments. To me all this HD stuff is a bit "Emporers New Clothes". We've been told to the point of saturation that the HD experience is out of this world, so poeple must believe it to be true.

My televisual experience is not going to be enhanced that much by shelling out loads of £'s for the slightly better picture and sound that I have already on my tellybox.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Most annoying thing is when the Beeb don't show MOTD on their HD channel. I have a Full HD TV and Sky+ box and the quality is not good for the long distance shots. And then on something like West Indies v India cricket on the weekend when the host broadcastor isn't showing it in HD the quality is poor. This is really very annoying, and I would say the picture quality is worse than a normnal TV.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
??? i could on my sky+ box. i assume this is a wind up..

Watching the England v Sweden U21 on Friday, couldn't pause or record, error message came up on screen. I phoned the number on screen, they told me that the games were restricted from recording/pausing as England (the FA or UEFA I guess) would be relaseing a DVD and therefore there was no recording allowed.

Perhaps it was only on Sky Sports HD, I didn't try it on Sky Sports normal, but that was what I was told.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Watching the England v Sweden U21 on Friday, couldn't pause or record, error message came up on screen. I phoned the number on screen, they told me that the games were restriced from recording/pausing as England (the FA or UEFA I guess) would be relaseing a DVD and therefore there was no recording allowed.

Perhaps it was only on Sky Sports HD, I didn't try it on Sky Sports normal, but that was what I was told.

fair enough.

i'll see what happens tonight.

i normally don't bother recording the footie however, as i only need to watch it the once

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
HD is decent enough, but only an idiot would compare it to the leap to colour.

I bet there wasn't ONE person who, on the arrival of colour after years of b&w, said: "I can't see much difference myself" or "After a few minutes, you forget about it". :dunce:

For the record: I have a Tosh full HD and Sky HD - and probably had HD before anyone else on NSC (for the 2006 World Cup). Cheers.

OK, so I exagerate, maybe a tad :laugh:

But For the most part, you don't "just forget about it" after a few minutes, HD is genuinely way, way better than standard definition TV (on the right screen)!

Some movies are jaw-droppingly good looking, and as for 1080p Blu-Ray - well, different planet - can be like looking through a window.

Again, I stress - on the right TV screen.
If you buy yourself a cheap HD TV, you gets yourself a cheap HD picture!!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
fair enough.

i'll see what happens tonight.

i normally don't bother recording the footie however, as i only need to watch it the once

A bit worried for next year in the World Cup if I can't record the games while I am at work to watch later.

Just spoken to Sky at length, and even though they have a record on their screens from my call last week they now deny this is the case and that England games can be recorded. Sorry for alarming anyone, I only repeated what I was told. Sky seem really rubbish at the moment. I will tell you how I get on when the U21 final is on.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
A bit worried for next year in the World Cup if I can't record the games while I am at work to watch later.

Just spoken to Sky at length, and even though they have a record on their screens from my call last week they now deny this is the case and that England games can be recorded. Sorry for alarming anyone, I only repeated what I was told. Sky seem really rubbish at the moment. I will tell you how I get on when the U21 final is on.

no problem.

its not your fault sky are numpties!

i will also try recording this game (in hd) to see if it works.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Saw a demo in Comet which shows a football match on a split screen - half SD, half HD. Very, very effective demo.

Wimbledon looks lush in HD. First thing in HD that the missus has been truly impressed by - tsk!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Watching the England v Sweden U21 on Friday, couldn't pause or record, error message came up on screen. I phoned the number on screen, they told me that the games were restricted from recording/pausing as England (the FA or UEFA I guess) would be relaseing a DVD and therefore there was no recording allowed.

I think you were told a porky pie , there may have been a technical problem instead. Sky can flag programmes , mainly box office and PPV sports events as copy protected which means you cant record them and copy onto a DVD.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
no problem.

its not your fault sky are numpties!

i will also try recording this game (in hd) to see if it works.
You also have to take into account that most of the Sky call centres are in Scotland , so they wouldn't give a toss about an England game anyway. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here