Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky hd

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't think that's correct is it?

SkyHD broadcasts at 720p - FULL HD is 1080p which you only get from Blu Ray.

SkyHD+ boxes can output 720p or 1080i , and BluRay is 1080p.
TVs can be HD ready (usually 1360x768 or 1024x720 screen resolution) or True HD (1920x1080 screen resolution). If the set is HD ready then it will upscale or downscale the signal it is fed. With a Full HD TV , BluRay discs will be shown with the correct 1:1 pixel mapping and likewise a 1080i signal from a SkyHD box even though it is interlaced.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I'm going to splash out on a sony bravia full HD and a panasonic blueray system - I am going to mount on the wall and hide the wires in the chimney/skirting/plaster.

At present you can only get HD broadcasts via satellite freesat/sky + - what I am wondering is shall I get a TV with built in freesat - it will cost me £200 more (with installation costs) - I am one for looks - are there lots of wires involved if I have freesat at a later date ? will I ever be able to get HD TV via a digital aerial in the future ?

Is it worth getting now or shall I wait ?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I agree with others that Sky HD is class, especially if you watch sports. Not quite sure it is worth the extra £10 p/m though.

Having said that, there is no way I could watch the cricket any other way!

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
The sport is fantastic so are the widelife programs, my only gripe is that not everything is filmed in hd. Plus you can get itv hd through sky just have to manualy tune it in

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm going to splash out on a sony bravia full HD and a panasonic blueray system - I am going to mount on the wall and hide the wires in the chimney/skirting/plaster.

At present you can only get HD broadcasts via satellite freesat/sky + - what I am wondering is shall I get a TV with built in freesat - it will cost me £200 more (with installation costs) - I am one for looks - are there lots of wires involved if I have freesat at a later date ? will I ever be able to get HD TV via a digital aerial in the future ?

Is it worth getting now or shall I wait ?

There are plans for HD channels (BBC , ITV , C4 and five) to be made available on Freeview in the next year or two. You will then receive HD channels through your TV aerial. The best option is to have the installation done so that in future you dont have to have more wires buried or dangling about.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How do you manually tune it?? Have wondered about this for a while as the red button thingy doesn't work on itv
Only works if the Sky+HD box has the new epg , if it does it can be added in "other channels". Highlight Options , then select add channels , key in the parameters for the frequency etc (11427 H 2/3 27500) and select 10510.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
HD is free over here and I must say it makes watching movies and sports quality - you really notice it when you change back to the SD channels.

Unfortunately the Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) isnt in HD so the Premiership looks like the 1970s over here - without the knee high challenges of course

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
There are plans for HD channels (BBC , ITV , C4 and five) to be made available on Freeview in the next year or two. You will then receive HD channels through your TV aerial. The best option is to have the installation done so that in future you dont have to have more wires buried or dangling about.

I think that has helped me make my mind up - cheers - I will wait for the freeview channels

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I think that has helped me make my mind up - cheers - I will wait for the freeview channels

You may want to check the 'proposed' timetable before completly deciding

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]It's expected that the Freeview HD services will start from late Autumn 2009 in the Granada TV region, with the rest of the UK coming on-stream by 2012 in accordance with the Digital Switchover rollout. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Here's a suggested timetable for HD on Freeview:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial]Granada - Autumn 2009[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial]Wales, Scotland and the West Country - 2010 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial]Central, Yorkshire, Anglia and Meridian - 2011[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial]London, Tyne Tees and Ulster - 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]London: The BBC has applied to Ofcom to be allowed to bring HD to towns such as London for 2010, not 2012, to cover the FA cup.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I love it. I think over time you get used to it and don't get blown away by picture quality, but you notice the difference when forced to watch non-hd stuff on ITV (though with the new epg you can add itv hd as an extra channel, apparently).

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
S'alright.
I've watched football a few times round a mates house who has it, but after about 10 minutes I pretty much forget I'm watching it in HD. Certainly didn't come away thinking "wow I must get HD". And films I couldn't even tell the difference from DVD to be honest.

You either need a new telly, or laser eye surgery :laugh:

On a decent HD screen, SKY HD is awsome, the difference is a (I would imagine) like going from black and white to colour many moons ago.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You either need a new telly, or laser eye surgery :laugh:

On a decent HD screen, SKY HD is awsome, the difference is a (I would imagine) like going from black and white to colour many moons ago.

Wasn't my TV, it was my mates (and its a decent one, one of those Samsungs).
Don't get me wrong - sport was noticably better, but once you get over the "ooh look I can see the individual blades of grass" and "wow I can see the faces in the crowd", I was left kind of underwhelmed, and after 15 minutes I'd forgotten I was watching HD.

I'll probably upgrade to HD once its free. Certainly not worth paying an extra tenner a month for though, in my opinion. Sky costs enough as it is.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
You don't want to let Wozza hear you say that :lolol:

HD is decent enough, but only an idiot would compare it to the leap to colour.

I bet there wasn't ONE person who, on the arrival of colour after years of b&w, said: "I can't see much difference myself" or "After a few minutes, you forget about it". :dunce:

For the record: I have a Tosh full HD and Sky HD - and probably had HD before anyone else on NSC (for the 2006 World Cup). Cheers.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
HD is decent enough, but only an idiot would compare it to the leap to colour.

I bet there wasn't ONE person who, on the arrival of colour after years of b&w, said: "I can't see much difference myself" or "After a few minutes, you forget about it". :dunce:

For the record: I have a Tosh full HD and Sky HD - and probably had HD before anyone else on NSC (for the 2006 World Cup). Cheers.

:bigwave: HD Beta Tester for SKY HD March 2006. :) Kept box for Free when they went live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here