Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sky hd..... cant tell the difference

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
just had sky hd installed and i dont know whats happened but there is hardly any difference at all if any . does it take a while for them to switch it on ? or have i got my settings wrong or something.

if anyone else is up for getting hd there is a good deal at the moment where if existing customers upgrade to hd you get a free box free installation and £100 worth of m & s vouchers . so it only costs you in real terms about £2 a month .

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Do you a: actually have a proper HD TV and b: did the installer actually do it right? I've seen Sky HD boxes hooked up by SCART before.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Make sure you're actually watching something being shown in HD, not everything on an HD channel is. There is a setting to have the programs highlighted in orange on the planner if they are HD.

Flick between standard version and HD version of the football and it's immediately visible. You should alsonotice on SSN that the graphics are much clearer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If nothing else the sound is clearer on HD channels

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm told it is a little bit 'Emperor's New Clothes'. The on screen graphics are usually clearer though.

Been saying exactly the same since it first came out. There is nothing wrong with my current (non hd) tv picture or sound, so why the hell would I want to pay a few hundred quid extra for not a lot of improvement?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If you use proper cables, ie, not the cheep shit which they give you for free, you will notice a difference. Look at the sides of the screen too. With good cables you will get an inch more picture on you tv.

If you picture is still shit with good cables, you are sitting to close.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If you use proper cables, ie, not the cheep shit which they give you for free, you will notice a difference. Look at the sides of the screen too. With good cables you will get an inch more picture on you tv.

Can you explain to me how a 'proper' cable makes any difference to a digital signal?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Good cables are a myth they make no difference

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
sorry , i was away for a bit . i have a toshiba regza 1080p full hd tv . its all connected up through hdmi via an onkyo receiver , i pulled the old scarts and optical cable out so its definitely getting the signal through hdmi . ive compared channels on all of them and there is literally no difference. i would say 5% improvement if anything. i remember comparing standard and hd bbc1 round a mates a while ago and that was immediately noticeable. im lost:lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Bullshit x2.

The cables included with the box perform 100% identically to the most expensive ones you can get.

The signal is digital, error-corrected and checksummed. You either have 100% perfect video and audio or NOTHING AT ALL. Never anything in between.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cancelled sky and then bought an HDMI lead to run from my freeview box to the TV and achieved the same result for a one off payment of £5. The advert for the lead says takes an HD ready TV to HD levels. It is definitely a better clearer picture,but had to adjust the TV to HDMI channell

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cancelled sky and then bought an HDMI lead to run from my freeview box to the TV and achieved the same result for a one off payment of £5. The advert for the lead says takes an HD ready TV to HD levels. It is definitely a better clearer picture,but had to adjust the TV to HDMI channell

That's just upscaling, though.

Jul 5, 2003
its all connected up through hdmi via an onkyo receiver

Why the Onkyo receiver? You may be losing the picture quality through this.

Try connecting directly through the Sky HD box.

I have a Panasonic 1080p 37" Plasma and the difference between, say, Channel 101 BBC and 143 BBC HD is massive. I just have a bog standard HDMI cable running directly from the SKY HD box to the HDMI input on the TV. Channel 405 (Sky Sports News HD) is another good one to try it on as the writing is much clearer in HD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here