Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sky hd..... cant tell the difference

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
What Phil said.
Anyone flicking between Sky Sportd SD and Sky Sports HD and not noticing a maHOOsive difference either has cataracts or a shit TV.

Don't disagree with that. But I can't say I particularly notice that something is in HD once I've been watching for more than about two minutes.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The signal quality is only maintained from your dish to you digital box,..... the maintenance of the quality of thge information reaching your TV is ENTIRELY dependant on the quality of the cable,...... thats why there are a number of different quality levels of cable,..... do a bit of research dude,....... HDMI into a quality LED ( or plasma is you want to focus on sport)... thats the answer.

I'd advise you to do some research in to digital signal transmission; and stay away from websites that make money by selling snakeoil cables.

HDMI cables are HDMI cables. There is no variance in signal quality because THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

As it happens, the cable between the dish and the STB is very important and this can cause picture breakup and audio dropouts from impulse interference.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I had been told - no idea how true it is - but they don't broadcast in true HD and you have to have at least a 50 inch TV to see the difference anyway.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I had been told - no idea how true it is - but they don't broadcast in true HD and you have to have at least a 50 inch TV to see the difference anyway.

Sky broadcast in 720p, which is less than BluRay at 1080p. Someone else posted a handy chart about viewing distance / screen size / HD resolution.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky broadcast in 720p, which is less than BluRay at 1080p. Someone else posted a handy chart about viewing distance / screen size / HD resolution.

If your TV is full hd 1080p it is best to select 1080i output from the SkyHD box as all the HD channels except the BBC duo transmit at 1980x1080i (BBC1 HD and BBC HD are 1440x1080i). There are 3 output options on the Sky HD box , 720p is fine for older HD ready TV's , auto which switches between HD and SD so the SD channels don't appear in stretchyvision and 1080i for full HD TV's as the signal arrives as 1080i into the box and out into the TV giving 1 to 1 pixel mapping (the 720p setting converts the 1080i signal to 720p and when this is fed to a full HD TV it will convert again to 1080i so some resolution will be lost by double processing)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't disagree with that. But I can't say I particularly notice that something is in HD once I've been watching for more than about two minutes.

I used to think the same, and was in no hurry to get a HD box.
Then I got a PS3 and started watching blu-ray, and all of a sudden anything I watched in SD seemed rather shit, so it was almost rude not to go HD, and I don't regret it for a second. Sure you kind of take it for granted after a while, but BOY do you notice when you go back to watching SD (well I do at least).

Sky Sports have The Masters on this week. I defy ANYONE with HD not to get a raging STONK ON at the pictures we will be receiving from Augusta.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
29th July 2010

Satellite TV group BSkyB has reported a sharp jump in annual profits, driven by new subscriptions, particularly for high definition (HD) services.

Pre-tax profit for the year to the end of June came in at £878m, up more than threefold on the £259m the broadcaster made in the previous 12 months.

HD is good for something.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Anyone know how to get Anytime+ working? Everytime I press Anytime it tells me it can't connect to my broadband but lets me look at stuff it has saved on my Sky box (same as the old Anytime does)

Am I doing something wrong? All my Wi-Fi is set up so my PC and laptop connect ok as does the Xbox, iPhone etc. So why cant the Sky box find it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anytime+ ??

I've never heard of it (genuinely). Its like iPlayer I take it ?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone know how to get Anytime+ working? Everytime I press Anytime it tells me it can't connect to my broadband but lets me look at stuff it has saved on my Sky box (same as the old Anytime does)

Am I doing something wrong? All my Wi-Fi is set up so my PC and laptop connect ok as does the Xbox, iPhone etc. So why cant the Sky box find it?

Are you on Sky Broadband? Not available on other providers yet

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I believe to access anytime+ you have to connect your sky box to your sky router by cable (won't work with non-sky router). If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anytime+ ??

I've never heard of it (genuinely). Its like iPlayer I take it ?

Yeah. Instead of access only a small selection of programmes that are on your box harddrive, it connects via sky internet to give you a wider selection of programmes to choose from.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Yes I have Sky Broadband Unlimited - just found a 'help' section on the Sky website so will give that a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here