Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skipper hints at "training ground issues"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The managers job was to manage...........he didn't.

Hardly surprising when you've got the captain giving him "the benefit of the doubt", when it was individual errors, shit form and piss-poor discipline from the likes of Virgo that have landed us where we are.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Hardly surprising when you've got the captain giving him "the benefit of the doubt", when it was individual errors, shit form and piss-poor discipline from the likes of Virgo that have landed us where we are.

I think all the above is down to a lack of respect to the manager.............who clearly.......very clearly.........was a poor manager.

Just because Slade could speak properly, so many think that made him a good manager. His results this season show he was an extremely poor manager. This is backed up by his view that he thought Navarro was a better player than Dicker, along with many other odd team selections.

Russell Slade....very nice man.......crap football manager.

philmasonalbion

May 19, 2009
I like it that Virgo hasn't mentioned or singled out any players in that article- wheres as Dickinson has been a righteous prick giving the old 'I threw my dummy out at half-time'. Have you seen Whats really a shame is that the dickhead dickinson doesn't realise how shit he's been, the back four have been penalised for everything and yet what does the BHA goal score sheet represent on a number of occasions - nothing!! Piss poor lack of goals from a bloke (Dickinson) who hasn't acted like a team player but scores some goals in one match and is amazing, I don't think so, defence defence defence you all say - advice, look at the centre forwards, the finishers - where have they been - nowhere! One match with nice amount of goals from the forwards for once but lets just say the bloke knew he's had to start showing something -I just somehow predict he's gonna be just that one hit wonder!!
As for Virgo, El-Abd, your focusing on the the wrong people, they're the only ones trying to keep the passion going but when you have pricks that don't care about the team ( i.e 'pass the buck dickinson') you have to wonder if the people that represent the club and do press to inform the public arn't being used as the easy targets for you all to voice your frustrations on and that the true culprits letting the team down are elsewhere upfront!!!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think all the above is down to a lack of respect to the manager.............who clearly.......very clearly.........was a poor manager.

Just because Slade could speak properly, so many think that made him a good manager. His results this season show he was an extremely poor manager. This is backed up by his view that he thought Navarro was a better player than Dicker, along with many other odd team selections.

Utter f***ing bollox.:tosser:

Got a shite Grimsby team promoted, got an average yeovil side to Wembley, successfully managed to do the impossible and keep us up last season...:angry:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Dicker needed a kick up the arse after preseason and got exactly that when Navarro started ahead of it. Personally think that is a good bit of management and as for being a shit manager I think the post above explains why that is wrong. Let down by certain players yes, hindered by injuries to key players yes, poor manager no

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Virgo is in a difficult position because as TEAM captain he's expected to say something/do interviews yet is clearly having a poor season which invites criticism (lets stop this CLUB captain bollocks too whilst we're at it, NF should just be CAPTAIN and that's final)

Personally I don't have the axe to grind that some people on this thread have but I do generally agree with the general consensus that Adam's not covering himself in glory here exactly, even if some of his comments could be taken either way; inevitably though, people will chose the most negative interpretation to support discontent with his playing performances so perhaps he'd be better off saying very bland and less open things. Time to train hard Captain - but don't begrudge the block a beard for christ's sake. They're in vogue and he's a young bloke! Blithering on about that makes people sound ridiculous in the scheme of things :bla:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
No way is Slade a bad manager, just like Virgo isn't a shit center back/captain. Some good managers fail (Steve Coppell at Man City) for any number of reasons. Slade possibly would have turned it round, but the Chairman saw it differently and fair play as it is his money bank-rolling the club.

None of the players have been out of line, O'Callaghan was out of order with his comments, Leon Knight was out of line. Nothing I have read here says lack of pasion or dislike of the manager.

Sorry as pointed out, not very NSC so Thay are all shit and deserve to be sacked, we should promote the youth team and bring back Dean Wilkins..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Why can't people have a balanced assessment, everyone is either a god or the spawn of Beezlebub. Most people are somewhere in between, and by the look of his record Slade is in that camp too.

His crap management saved us from relegation last season. As for Navarro over Dicker, he has explained that Dicker had a poor pre season, since his return to the side we have been winning no more regularly than without him

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why can't people have a balanced assessment, everyone is either a god or the spawn of Beezlebub. Most people are somewhere in between, and by the look of his record Slade is in that camp too.

His crap management saved us from relegation last season. As for Navarro over Dicker, he has explained that Dicker had a poor pre season, since his return to the side we have been winning no more regularly than without him

"Dicker had a poor pre-season"......did you actually see many of the pre-season friendlies...?

Slade consistently played Navarro and Crofts together...........and also played Dicker alongside the triallists and general flotsam during these games. At the time, I assumed that Slade already had Dicker marked down as the first midfielder to start the League programme, and was merely trying to gauge who was better, Crofts or Navarro, to partner him. Slade was utterly determined to have Navarro and Croft as his midfield............no matter how shit Navarro was..............and believe me........Navarro was shit.

Poor judgement...........poor management.

What Slade has never had before at Yeovil and Grimsby, is a decent budget to spend on building a new team.This season, he had the budget.........he bought the players..............HE FAILED...........miserably..

I realise you,re upset that Slades dismissal may mean the re-employment of Mr. Coppell, who obviously had a poor time at your main club (Manchester City), but get over it.

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Utter f***ing bollox.:tosser:

Got a shite Grimsby team promoted, got an average yeovil side to Wembley, successfully managed to do the impossible and keep us up last season...:angry:

Spot on..... also i think Virgo should just zip it with the shit he has served up on the pitch this season.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
What context, he is being asked about the coaching and training..

He stated that Booker and White had good records with the Albion, but that Slade wanted to bring in another backroom staffer and felt that should have happened if that was what Slade wanted. Do you disagree?

But also says it is not down to coaching staff alone. Is this context wrong?

'I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one' is probably a bad choice of phrase, but I read that as, Slade had a point in dropping me.

I cannot find anything else in there that is big headed, self serving or any of the other descriptions used on here.

If you are telling me to look at the context, I suggest you re-read without your 'I blame Virgo' hat on.

One of the only common sense posts in this thread. I am often baffled at how people interpret things the way they do.

The "benefit of the doubt" was perhaps strange wording, but without hearing tone I can't really make a decisive comment on it.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I was delighted when Virgo came back to the club as I thought he was tremendous first time around, had a fantastic attitude, wound the players up around him and showed a natural leadership ability and his football was generally deservedly good enough to earn him a £1m move to Celtic. He is a home grown player and I want to see him do well BUT what has happened in the intervening years? Virgo's tone in that interview is not that of a captain accepting responsibility, after all, the players are generally performing way below what they are capable of. Is that entirely down to the coaching and management? Last season he had grounds for complaint. He was played all over the park and not in his best central defensive position. This season, his performances have been mediocre. All that passion and spark first time around appears to have gone.

Slade is not blameless, seems to me that he was liked but not necessarily fully respected. But as captain, Virgo should be fully supportive of the manager instead of challenging their every decision.

What I expect Virgo to be doing is what Nicky Forster is doing - saying the players need to do more and acting like the captain of the team and kicking them up the backside and uniting the players behind the manager.

I hope when the new manager comes in we get the old Virgo back, otherwise he is going to end up in the conference instead of the championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here