Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skipper hints at "training ground issues"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think we need a big clear-out, basically Murray plus the Micky Adams' 4 - Livermore, Hawkins, Virgo and MacLeod.

Whoever we bring in I hope it is a man with experience - I think it would be a tough gig for a rookie manager to ship out the big egos, bring in his own loyal troops and turn things around. This job is SOOO up Coppell's street you wonder why he hasn't been offered the job already.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
"With the Yeovil thing, after I had been sent-off at Bristol Rovers, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for that one."

Dear oh dear, what an incredible quote to have coming from the "captain". Its not for him to question Slades team selections, its down to him to get his head down and do his bloody job.
Quite clearly he had no respect for Slade or his decisions when it involved him being dropped, so you wonder how much influence he had on any dressing room unrest, or whether he was actively undermining Slade to other players.

Atrocious attitude. What with moping Murray sloping around as well, no wonder we've struggled to get it together this season.

totally agree, 'I GAVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT' is a disgrace of a comment from a captain

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I don't think we need a big clear-out, basically Murray plus the Micky Adams' 4 - Livermore, Hawkins, Virgo and MacLeod.

Whoever we bring in I hope it is a man with experience - I think it would be a tough gig for a rookie manager to ship out the big egos, bring in his own loyal troops and turn things around. This job is SOOO up Coppell's street you wonder why he hasn't been offered the job already.

If Coppell does come in, i can see Hawkins & Livermore being in the team and being very good

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
"With the Yeovil thing, after I had been sent-off at Bristol Rovers, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for that one."

Dear oh dear, what an incredible quote to have coming from the "captain". Its not for him to question Slades team selections, its down to him to get his head down and do his bloody job.
Quite clearly he had no respect for Slade or his decisions when it involved him being dropped, so you wonder how much influence he had on any dressing room unrest, or whether he was actively undermining Slade to other players.

Atrocious attitude. What with moping Murray sloping around as well, no wonder we've struggled to get it together this season.

Spot on - I hope the new manager sees this interview and realises this is not captain material. I am shocked at how much Virgo seems to have changed from when he was first here.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
To be fair, from what you read from players/ex-players, speaking to the manager about being left out is a fairly common thing to happen at football clubs. But I agree, he has not covered himself with glory in his performances this season and should look at his own contribution (or lack of) that has led Slade to lose his job.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004

Before the game on Saturday I actually thought that Virgo should have started instead of Elphick, if nothing else to save Elphick from yet another blow to his confidence, but if Virgo's patronising arrogance as shown in this interview is anything to go by, no wonder Slade dropped him instead.

Ironically at half time, and when half the South Stand was aiming vitriol at Elphick, Virgo was the only one of the players or staff to go across to him and have a word. Now I'm not sure that he wasn't congratulating Elphick on ensuring that Slade was sacked.

Good luck to whoever has to take over if Virgo's attitude is indicative of the overall state of the dressing room. It will need a strong character to get control of such over inflated egos.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I don't really see what Virgo said wrong here. He did not spit his dummy out after being left out at Yeovil (unlike Joel Lynch did when he was left out). He said he would have been having a conversation with Slade on Monday if he was here (I would EXPECT that of a Captain left out).
He hasn't been bad all season, one rash red card, and a few mistakes, but usually very reliable, which is what you want from a Central Defender, remember he is not a creative midfielder.

As for accepting the blame, I draw your attention to the last two paragraphs.

“It’s very sad, because we all liked Russell. It’s just unfortunate that as players we couldn’t get it right for him.

“When you look at the bigger picture the league table doesn’t lie and everybody can honestly say it hasn’t been good enough.”

What should he have said? I have been shocking and it is all my fault we have lost, if only Russell had left me out more?

Talk about scape goating culture....

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Your dead right Easy (imo like).

As far as I'm concerned, that pair of under/non-performing CLOWNS sum up the real reason why Russell got the sack & the results have been absolutely woeful this season. I bloody well hope the new regime come in & immediately knock them & the rest of their ilk into shape; or kick 'em out the door. Just who the f*** do these idiots think they are? Benefit of the doubt?? What a f***ing JOKE. :rant:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I don't really see what Virgo said wrong here. He did not spit his dummy out after being left out at Yeovil (unlike Joel Lynch did when he was left out). He said he would have been having a conversation with Slade on Monday if he was here (I would EXPECT that of a Captain left out).
He hasn't been bad all season, one rash red card, and a few mistakes, but usually very reliable, which is what you want from a Central Defender, remember he is not a creative midfielder.

As for accepting the blame, I draw your attention to the last two paragraphs.

“It’s very sad, because we all liked Russell. It’s just unfortunate that as players we couldn’t get it right for him.

“When you look at the bigger picture the league table doesn’t lie and everybody can honestly say it hasn’t been good enough.”

What should he have said? I have been shocking and it is all my fault we have lost, if only Russell had left me out more?

Talk about scape goating culture....

Nonsense, look at the context of the whole interview.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Nonsense, look at the context of the whole interview.

What context, he is being asked about the coaching and training..

He stated that Booker and White had good records with the Albion, but that Slade wanted to bring in another backroom staffer and felt that should have happened if that was what Slade wanted. Do you disagree?

But also says it is not down to coaching staff alone. Is this context wrong?

'I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one' is probably a bad choice of phrase, but I read that as, Slade had a point in dropping me.

I cannot find anything else in there that is big headed, self serving or any of the other descriptions used on here.

If you are telling me to look at the context, I suggest you re-read without your 'I blame Virgo' hat on.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world

He stated that Booker and White had good records with the Albion, but that Slade wanted to bring in another backroom staffer and felt that should have happened if that was what Slade wanted. Do you disagree?

'I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one' is probably a bad choice of phrase, but I read that as, Slade had a point in dropping me.

I cannot find anything else in there that is big headed, self serving or any of the other descriptions used on here.

If you are telling me to look at the context, I suggest you re-read without your 'I blame Virgo' hat on.

spot on.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
How often do you guys hang out?

Often enough to get free tickets. :thumbsup:

Nah, in seriousness I don't 'hang out' with him but I have got to know him enough to know he is a top bloke.

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Charlie Oatway = nail on head.

"I’ve been fortunate where we have had managers who have moved on to bigger and better things because they have succeeded.

“But if you a professional footballer and you are part of a manager getting sacked, you have to look at yourself.

“It’s all very well just walking away and thinking ‘it doesn’t matter, we’ll get another manager in’ but we are fifth from bottom of the league.

“That has got to be hurting you. If it isn’t hurting the individual, then obviously that individual is not the right player at this club.”

Oatway = LEGEND we would not be where we are now if all of the current players thought that

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What about the bit about he would have been in to see Slade on Monday about being dropped. Who does he think he is?

Sounds quite sensible to me. I am sure that Slade does not have time to tell everyone why they have been omitted or dropped, if he is picking the side Friday night/Saturday morning.

I would rather they seek him out and find out why and where they can improve than sloping off in a huff.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

NO, NO, NO, You must never look at anything objectively. Thats not the NSC way... .. & your posts must be full of rightousness & indignation that a mere mortal such as Virgo could even suspect that the god Slade is not the omnipotent force we all believe him to be. We all know it's nothing to do with his management that got him sacked, It wos the players wot did it!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps the quote doesn't come across in a good way. But NO player should consider he's in a position to give his manager "the benefit of the doubt" regarding his decisions, and regardless of what he imagines, Virgo (amongst many others) has been a long, long way from being undroppable this season.

Maybe thats the problem. Virgos place in the team had become so iron-clad in the past, that a manager suddenly having the downright CHEEK to drop him came as a bit of a shock for Virgs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can't see the problem with Virgos report.

Slade wasn't a good manager (his record shows that).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't see the problem with Virgos report.

Slade wasn't a good manager (his record shows that).

All very convenient for the captain to lay the blame at the door of the manager, the coaching, the club for not doing enough etc etc. I think I'd like to see a little more INTROSPECTION from him.

When you point the finger at someone, you are pointing three fingers at yourself.
Or something.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
All very convenient for the captain to lay the blame at the door of the manager, the coaching, the club for not doing enough etc etc. I think I'd like to see a little more INTROSPECTION from him.

When you point the finger at someone, you are pointing three fingers at yourself.
Or something.

The managers job was to manage...........he didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here