Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skipper hints at "training ground issues"

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Sounds like Virgo is just looking to blame other people. Nothing about the players taking full responsibility. A dreadful choice of captain IMHO. From the Argus:

Albion skipper hints at training ground issues
12:00pm Tuesday 3rd November 2009

By Andy Naylor »

Adam Virgo has hinted at player dissatisfaction with Albion’s training ground preparations this season.

Former boss Russell Slade identified a gap in his backroom structure, with Dean White as his assistant and Bob Booker operating under the title of reserve team manager.

Slade wanted to bring in Tim Breaker as first team coach in the summer but the highly qualified ex-Leicester assistant joined Charlton as No.2 to Phil Parkinson instead.

Skipper Virgo said: “Bob and Dean had been here for a long time and they have done fantastically well for the club.

“They have won championships, promotions and relegation battles but if Russell was looking to bring in another coach and it never happened then maybe the club could have done a bit more to find someone else.

“If Russell wanted to do that then he must have felt the coaching staff needing something else to be brought into the squad.

“Different personnel sometimes, with the coaching techniques and ideas, maybe could have helped the club a little bit more.

“But you cannot just put things down to the coaching staff. Dean and Bob’s records speak for themselves.”

Virgo was dropped twice by Slade, who appointed him captain at the start of the season.

The centre half was left out of the starting line-up at Yeovil following a rash red card in the previous league game at Bristol Rovers.

He also lost out to Tommy Elphick for Slade’s final game in charge against Hartlepool at Withdean on Saturday and, although aggrieved by that decision, is still grateful for being chosen to lead the side.

“I owe a lot to Russell,” Virgo said. “He gave me the opportunity to be captain of this club, which I have always wanted.

“He is paid to make decisions. With the Yeovil thing, after I had been sent-off at Bristol Rovers, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for that one.

“For Saturday’s game that was a professional decision he made, rightly or wrongly, and I respected that.

“If he had still been here on Monday I would have gone in and seen him and we would have been having a conversation.

“I really do wish him all the best for the future. He is a good man and a good manager. It just hasn’t happened for him this season.

“Regardless of results or what people may be thinking or writing, at the end of the day the man has lost his job.

“It’s very sad, because we all liked Russell. It’s just unfortunate that as players we couldn’t get it right for him.

“When you look at the bigger picture the league table doesn’t lie and everybody can honestly say it hasn’t been good enough.”

-----

What about the bit about he would have been in to see Slade on Monday about being dropped. Who does he think he is?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Not impressed with that. Frankly, Virgo can DO ONE if he thinks the poor season is down to nobody but the management.

He, amongst others, has been f***ing dreadful, and should be ASHAMED of himself.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Probably the least talented player, with the lowest amount of leadership skills, to ever lead any club in the english 92.

A total disgrace, ship him out now Coppello.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Someone needs to point out a few home truths to him. Not doing himself any favours. That really is a disgraceful attitude.

D

Deleted User X18H

This is exactly what I said in my blog and on the phone-in re the back room staff.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Lose the captaincy, lose the Beckham beard, lose the gloves when warming up...then lose the under achieving, self-important, blame-shifting twonk altogether. He can hoof the ball aimlessly, and sit out his bans, for someone else far as I'm concerned.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I really like Virgo as a person and he can be a good centre-half at this level. But he has done himself few favours in that interveiw. Needs to get back to doing what he does best on the pitch and stop trying to be something he's not.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is a RIDICULOUS interview from Virgo. He comes across as being an absolute moron, he has been rubbish this season from what I've seen and as for "I would have been having a conversation", he can piss off because team selection has NOTHING to do with him and he's got no right to bend Russell's ear for not picking him. Especially when the vast majority of Brighton fans agreed with the decision to drop him, both times! What a joke, it sounds like Virgo was undermining Slade, to me atleast. Disgrace, Virgo out.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What utter biased rubbish from you lot. Lots of hate Virgo, that's fine. But there really is f*** all in that to criticise him on, he doesn't blame other people in that at any point, you're all reading your own biased views into it

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Charlie Oatway = nail on head.

"I’ve been fortunate where we have had managers who have moved on to bigger and better things because they have succeeded.

“But if you a professional footballer and you are part of a manager getting sacked, you have to look at yourself.

“It’s all very well just walking away and thinking ‘it doesn’t matter, we’ll get another manager in’ but we are fifth from bottom of the league.

“That has got to be hurting you. If it isn’t hurting the individual, then obviously that individual is not the right player at this club.”

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Another reason for me, why he should not be captain.

Who's fault was it he got sent off at Bristol Rovers. Who's fault is it he is so out of form he couldnt get in the team ahead of a woeful Elphick. Who's fault is it he wants to be like David Beckham, growing beards, demanding the 23 shirt and trying to spray 70 yard crossfield passes?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's a strange interview report, piss poor actually.

It's not one man who's lost his job, there's actually THREE and both Booker and White will be lucky to get another job in the League after this.

Arguably the players HAVE got Slade sacked -there's never an excuse for a red card but to get 5 or 6 has undoubtably cost us enough points to have made the difference between lower mid-table and relegation places.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Virgo really isn't coming out of this very well. Not exactly coming out with great captain like comments at the moment

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
What about the bit about he would have been in to see Slade on Monday about being dropped. Who does he think he is?

Seems quite reasonable to me. I'd imagine the conversation would have been "why was I dropped and what do I need to work on / improve to get back into the team".
I'd be more worried if he just accepted his fate, went through the motions in training and didn't care what he'd done wrong on the pitch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"With the Yeovil thing, after I had been sent-off at Bristol Rovers, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for that one."

Dear oh dear, what an incredible quote to have coming from the "captain". Its not for him to question Slades team selections, its down to him to get his head down and do his bloody job.
Quite clearly he had no respect for Slade or his decisions when it involved him being dropped, so you wonder how much influence he had on any dressing room unrest, or whether he was actively undermining Slade to other players.

Atrocious attitude. What with moping Murray sloping around as well, no wonder we've struggled to get it together this season.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting comment about Tim Breaker, so Slade WAS aware that the coaching set-up was second rate. Still it should finally silence those who've said "Do you know what White and Booker DO? Well shut up then." (Although I doubt it).

Sounds like we need another clear-out of the players though - starting with Virgo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here