Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six released, four to be offered deals (Merged)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Every one of the decisions will have been made along the lines of VALUE.

1. Are we getting good value from this player?

2. Could we get better value elsewhere?

In Kuszcak's case we'll find a keeper of simialr ability for less money. Orlandi failed to provide value as he cannot stay fit, as per Hoskins.

Pretty much this, yes.

There are some BIG earners among those released. In releasing them, we will give the new manager the best chance of being able to recruit players he wants as he'll have a decent amount of wage headroom to play with.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pretty much this, yes.

There are some BIG earners among those released. In releasing them, we will give the new manager the best chance of being able to recruit players he wants as he'll have a decent amount of wage headroom to play with.

Without wanting to have a mods love in I agree it's all dictated by money issues.

TK came to us because we offered better terms than Ipswich two years ago, in the season when our wage bill INCREASED by £7 million.

Would love him to stay, but can understand that if PL clubs are interested in him then it's on a wage level outside of our budget.

Never say never though, if he's still without a club by mid July and we're still looking for a keeper......

Bridcutt ( high earner) Barnes and El Abd (not high earners) are also off the wage bill.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Not sure how anybody can justify keeping Hoskins on the basis of him ever getting fit. He has had three seasons to get fit and has never managed a run of games in that time. By that basis we should still have Paul Kitson on the wage bill just in case he gets injury free any time soon

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think the club have got that released/retained list about right.

Kuszczak probably didnt want a new deal as much as we're not offering one.

Hoskins has been a constant sicknote so we cannot afford to keep him any longer.

Casper will purely be backup to a new number one, so no problem with him staying another year or so.

Kaz now has a year to prove he really is worth something to us.

Only surprise for me is that we have kept both right backs. Would have loved to see a younger player come in as first choice but I have no idea which of Bruno or Calde I would release.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Isn't the development squad goalie supposed to be a bit red hot. Is it time for him to get 1st team experience with Anchorman as backup?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I feel completely indifferent to Kuszczak going. First season, he was fantastic, up there with the best in this league. This time, he's not convinced me. Alright, only one glaring error (Forest away), but there's been a few goals where I wonder if he might have done better. And significantly, his distribution this season has been appalling. Far too many wasted clearances hoofed up towards poor Ulloa, or, more often, to nobody in a blue & white shirt, plenty going straight into touch, and even his short passes have frequently put our defenders under pressure.

He's a really good keeper and maybe he could have got back to the standards set previously, but presumably he's a high earner and I'd like to think we'll be able to pick up a good value decent keeper to replace him.

Agree with all of that particularly his distribution which is awful, and probably the reason he was with us in the first place, playing our passing game we need a keeper that can distribute the football. Also its not beyond the realms of possibility that the new manager might try to re sign him like we did with lopez last season. I am sure he was on a good wedge too and i think we can get as good an opyion for less.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Pretty happy with the list.

Although if Andrea Orlandi could regain some sort of long term fitness there is still a good player there.

Lets hope the new manager will motivate and play kemy, i think he has got bags of talent and technically as good as orlandi - will be a big season for him if his attitude is right.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
These style of clearouts will be more commonplace under FFP governance - and hopefully clubs are finally taking a more sensible and pragmatic approach to their wage structure.

In tha past clubs like the Albion would have perhaps offered the likes of Kuszczak and Orlandi an extra year but now there's a greater emphasis on value (which is entirely the purpose of FFP in the first place). Without this financial streamlining an increasing number of clubs will be piling up the debts with wages they can't really afford. We would see more clubs like Portsmouth and Bolton on the ropes.

The likes of Bloom and other chairman are more likely to ring-fence their big earners to a very select few who make an exceptional contribution to the team (think prolific scorer, midfield maestro/general, captain etc). While Orlandi has undoubted talent, he certainly didn't fit this criteria and following a sound but unspectacualr season, perhaps neither did Kuszscak.

I think it's a sensible 'exit list' so far.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
biggest suprise at of allof them for me is courtney richards

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Without wanting to have a mods love in I agree it's all dictated by money issues.

TK came to us because we offered better terms than Ipswich two years ago, in the season when our wage bill INCREASED by £7 million.

Would love him to stay, but can understand that if PL clubs are interested in him then it's on a wage level outside of our budget.

Never say never though, if he's still without a club by mid July and we're still looking for a keeper......

Bridcutt ( high earner) Barnes and El Abd (not high earners) are also off the wage bill.

I,m disappointed with some of those we have not offered new contracts to, but I think many posters are forgetting that FFP requires us to shave another £3milion off our losses this coming season....or have I have misunderstood the rules ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here