Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Tony Millard........

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
without dwelling on his past (and the story about him being beaten up in his flat certainly has some credence although not quite as described) there are some other great parts in history:

1) at the york game when he berated those on the pitch with the famous words 'ladies and gentleman; this is no way to save your club'. I think in hindsight he may well have been proven wrong on that.

2) the next day as Liam Brady arrived at Hove Park to announce his wish to take over the club, Millard pushed fans out of the way and said 'this is a press conference intended for us members of the press. you shouldn't even be here!'

I have had some other experiences of him being less than helpful to the fans efforts to get a new stadium/return to Brighton and it was all because he didn't like the new (as it was at the time) board.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yeah, who is KNC?

I may be wrong here, but at the Goldstone one time, the players were giving presents to the disabled in the corner. I'm sure Millard said, 'And a big round of applause for the CRIPPLES in the corner'. This may be an Albion urban myth.

Genuine LOL right there...maybe he meant the players?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Yeah, who is KNC?

I may be wrong here, but at the Goldstone one time, the players were giving presents to the disabled in the corner. I'm sure Millard said, 'And a big round of applause for the CRIPPLES in the corner'. This may be an Albion urban myth.

Its not an Urban myth, having consulted a fanzine back issue, it was on Easter Saturday 1982 when the Albion played Arsenal at the Goldstone and the players were giving out easter eggs in the disabled section.

One GE contributor once wrote a comprehensive homage to old 0898

And of course Tone had his own column in the Eye when he wrote under the name Larry Boyd.

Was it Millard on the mic when one of the London sides decided to have fun on the pitch at the Goldstone and the PA announcer pleaded for the police who were outside the ground to come inside and sort it out?

I think the club got a ticking off from Mr Plod for that.

Now does anybody have any great stories of our Tone and his cricketing exploits?

Chelsea in Sepember 1983. and he was quite right.

Outside theground the plod were busy directing traffic along the Old Shoreham Road.

Inside the ground two sets of supporters were kicking eight bells out of each other

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Chelsea in Sepember 1983. and he was quite right.

Outside theground the plod were busy directing traffic along the Old Shoreham Road.

Inside the ground two sets of supporters were kicking eight bells out of each other

Well almost, I seem to recall Chelsea were well up for it and were kicking the said 8 bells out of a couple of Sussex coppers, any Brighton fan stupid enough to still be in the ground or even on the pitch at the same time had put x for no publicity.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Its not an Urban myth, having consulted a fanzine back issue, it was on Easter Saturday 1982 when the Albion played Arsenal at the Goldstone and the players were giving out easter eggs in the disabled section.

One GE contributor once wrote a comprehensive homage to old 0898

And of course Tone had his own column in the Eye when he wrote under the name Larry Boyd.

Thanks for confirming that Ian. I've told that story a thousand times.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...every time you phoned 8049, the opening line was always..." and its bad news for the Albion"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here