Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Even Labour can't blow this, can they?

Smarmer.jpg

abc

Jan 6, 2007

A bit of a silly tweet IMHO. Who reads a party manifesto? Virtually no one. If labour do have policies (that have substance, rather than just meaningless soundbites) then why don't they talk about them? Starmer had the perfect opportunity yesterday.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
We need sensible coalition governance so I'll be voting Reform so they can temper and offset Labour's loony left communistic tendency.
A Labour-Reform coalition government yeah?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

View attachment 172254
If anyone can, the Labour Party can.

Is there any political party with a more distinguished history of f***ing it up royally?

They won't though. This is the open goal even they can't miss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A bit of a silly tweet IMHO. Who reads a party manifesto? Virtually no one. If labour do have policies (that have substance, rather than just meaningless soundbites) then why don't they talk about them? Starmer had the perfect opportunity yesterday.
I get your point that few will obtain and sit down and read the manifesto cover to cover BUT it will be read indirectly via press coverage and various other outlets, interviews etc. Once it is finalised and released there will be plenty of 'talk'.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
What a dismal choice - more Tory cruelty, divisiveness and Culture Wars, or Tory-lite Labour under Starmer and Reeves.

Two cheeks of the same arse.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'm sure the right on Guardian will help balance the books! :laugh:
Guardian readership or sales = 250,000.
Sun/Mail/Express/Telegraph/Times readership or sales = several million.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What a dismal choice - more Tory cruelty, divisiveness and Culture Wars, or Tory-lite Labour under Starmer and Reeves.

Two cheeks of the same arse.
The arse analogy is quite apt but I'd argue that the Tory party we've had for the last thirteen or so years is the rancid, dripping, stinking brown eye in the middle rather than one of the cheeks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

View attachment 172254

Shirley you haven't given up campaigning in the hope of Sunak turning it round ? Because that would mean the Tories are in REAL trouble.

And I'd hate to see you reduced to sniping at Starmer rather than your normal eloquent, detailed justification of current Government policy :lolol:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tbf Labour have to beat both the right wing press *and* FPTP, the odds are almost always in the Conservatives favour until they f*** up so badly.
2005 election Labour had 355 seats with 1% lower vote than Conservatives got in 2010 for 309 seats. dont say FPTP favors one party when the evidence clearly shows otherwise. it certainly favours larger parties, as we see with SNP dominating Scotland seats since 2015. thats what will harm Labour, the Scottish ~50 seats they used to get and need to win back for a decent majority.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
2005 election Labour had 355 seats with 1% lower vote than Conservatives got in 2010 for 309 seats. dont say FPTP favors one party when the evidence clearly shows otherwise. it certainly favours larger parties, as we see with SNP dominating Scotland seats since 2015. thats what will harm Labour, the Scottish ~50 seats they used to get and need to win back for a decent majority.
correct, I'd say FPTP favours both the Tories and Labour....to be honest it favours whoever wins and I imagine Labour will do pretty well out of it at the next election,

RE: Scotland, this is another open goal for Labour as they are not only battling an unpopular Tory government in England & Wales but also an increasingly unpopular SNP government (albeit in a separate parliament, regardless they are still seen as the ruling party in Scotland), both of whom have outstayed their welcome

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I get your point that few will obtain and sit down and read the manifesto cover to cover BUT it will be read indirectly via press coverage and various other outlets, interviews etc. Once it is finalised and released there will be plenty of 'talk'.
I have read sections on their website and it’s heavy on what they will do but very little on (meaningful) how.
Perhaps a better approach would be ‘we are going to do our best try and sort the nhs, economy, equality etc out. We honestly don’t know how but we will do our best. Above all, we will do so honestly, with integrity and with respect to the law and our parliamentary system of government’.
If there was a GE today I would vote labour, but I would go the whole hog and join the party if they said this!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If that's what the masses want.......
Or are told, every day of the week, every year (by billionaire-owned newspapers), that anything else is 'Communist', of course that's what they will want!

If I'd read and believed the Tory press throughout my adult life, I too would 'want' the status quo, be convinced that things could never be different or better, and that Labour were dangerous Commies.

I think you're being very naïve, or disingenuous, if you don't think what many people 'want' or believe is shaped and influenced by what Right-wing newspapers tell them on a daily basis.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A Labour-Reform coalition government yeah?
If Reform or whatever they are calling themselves this week get 1 or 2 seats they will be doing well. Even with Farage they failed 7 times to win a seat

Brexit has been a cruel lesson, hopefully the victims have learnt something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here