Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When it comes to the government, I’ll be more than happy with 5 years of boring after the shit show of the last 8 years.

I’m an inpatient person, I await ‘meat on the bone’.

I actually agree, I was thinking as KS spoke that ‘inspiring characters’ gave us Iraq, soft touch non-reg of The City in the 00’s, PFI, Brexit and vast PPE fraud.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As you well know, I would only do that if he had posted a couple of hours earlier that he had only ever voted for one colour of rosette and couldn't imagine voting for any other. Then I would playfully mock him, but to the best of my knowledge he hasn't done anything anywhere near as foolish as that :wink:
Fortunately for me I’ve never said that either…

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fortunately for me I’ve never said that either…

I know you haven't which is why I wouldn't say you had. But I'm guessing you must have been referring to the person who did earlier in this thread. I could quote them again, but I'm not sure it will help the topic of the thread :wink:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As you well know, I would only do that if he had posted a couple of hours earlier that he had only ever voted for one colour of rosette and couldn't imagine voting for any other, and then claimed to be the very definition of a swing voter in their next post.

Then I would playfully mock him, but to the best of my knowledge he hasn't done anything anywhere near as foolish as that :wink:
To be mocked by you WZ is a badge of honour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a swinging voter and have to say, with rose tinted glasses off, I genuinely don’t think any party is actually capable of running the country. My GE vote will be one that helps a coalition, as that is the only credible option.
What you get up to behind closed doors in the Surrey ‘burbs is of no interest to anyone……you dirty old man.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Reassuring, and ironic, that Starmer mentioned reducing cronyism today.
Use your favourite search engine with the two words 'Blair Cronyism' .....the irony won't be lost.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You won't be disappointed, this fence sitter makes John 'Grey' Major look like Timmy Mallet.
f***ing brilliant. I yearn for the days of sensible but boring politicians like Major who was so dull that it was satirised by Spitting Image and who most remembered the daft, by ultimately harmless, cones hotine.

I don’t need the government to give me a group, or groups, of people to blame for the bad stuff that goes on. I’m happy to accept that shit happens.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thatcher hasn’t been PM for 33 years…. And I’m certain we’ll all be talking about the Buffoon for years to come 😉

I suppose she will always be talked about because she changed politics forever in this country. For good or bad. Probably a bit of both.

Blair was promising and did a lot of good but became toxic towards the end of his tenure and frankly, went bat-shit in the years following.

Who knows what legacy Starmer will leave if he gets the chance. Is he playing his cards close to his chest or does he simply have a dud hand?

As always, time will tell.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cameron was very light on policy in the year preceding the 2010 election and paid the price by failing to win an overall majority.

Theresa fought an election with just a slogan "strong and stable" and also failed to win a majority.

Starmer could fall into the same trap of being 'policy light' if he is not careful, butwith no money it is hard to come up with bold policies. However, I think he is doing well on showing that his style is ethical and moral, which the opposite of the last 8 years under the Tories. People may be happy just to get a bloke with integrity.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cameron was very light on policy in the year preceding the 2010 election and paid the price by failing to win an overall majority.

Theresa fought an election with just a slogan "strong and stable" and also failed to win a majority.

Starmer could fall into the same trap of being 'policy light' if he is not careful, butwith no money it is hard to come up with bold policies. However, I think he is doing well on showing that his style is ethical and moral, which the opposite of the last 8 years under the Tories. People may be happy just to get a bloke with integrity.

When you look back on the 2008 world financial crash, it is surprising that Cameron didn’t get a majority.

Detail was an issue because they were trying to sell a lie to the electorate. They campaigned on the notion that Labour had caused the world financial crash by borrowing too much and allowing us to borrow too much also. It was a great way to introduce the disastrous austerity agenda which like so many Tory plans, only succeeded in making the rich richer.

They could not campaign on the real cause for financial chaos in Britain (poor regulation of banks) because they’d been calling for lower levels of regulation for years prior to 2008 (Osbourne in particular).

Whilst many spotted lie, many others didn’t want someone who was trying to be Tony Blair because they’d had enough of him too. Thus, a huge potential majority was lost. If Starmer tries to be someone else and bases his campaign on lies, he might discover the same hung fate as Cameron. He won’t though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Reassuring predictions for most on here..........

One interesting aspect is that the libs are predicted to get 10.9% of the vote and 30 seats. Reform are predicted to get 9% and no seats. Greens 5.9% and 2 seats. Leaving party politics aside and whether or not you think it is a good thing that reform are not represented in parliament, how can this be democratic? Its no wonder so many people cant be bothered to vote or have no interest in politics. FPTP must go shirley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here