Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Bobby Charlton.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Like many no doubt we have all seen T/V coverage re-Munich 58. Maybe it is just me ? However i find to listern to Sir Bobby recall that fateful day differcult to put into words. You can clearly see the emotion in his face and yet he speaks softly,with heart and affection of those that lost their lives. In these days of hype and hysetria,the man is a lone voice of dignity. :bowdown:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm not sure he's quite a lone voice, but I completely agree with everything else you say. You can clearly see how even 50 years on how much those people meant to him.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Footy,near where i live there are several large quarries. You a fair few trucks 'Turners' of Soham. Sorry but it means only one thing. :nono::bigwave:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
What I can't understand is why SkySports news need to caption his name everytime he's doing an interview, surely there's no one watching who doesn't know what he looks like ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't like him much. Bit like Geoff Hurst, always seems to be a right miserable bastard.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
.....and Foulkes and Gregg playing again within two weeks.The looks on their faces.

It was a sad,sad time,and I hope the minutes silence is observed by all in the Manchester derby.

It won't be.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I don't like him much. Bit like Geoff Hurst, always seems to be a right miserable bastard.

hes old, it goes with the territory !!

.....and Foulkes and Gregg playing again within two weeks.The looks on their faces.

It was a sad,sad time,and I hope the minutes silence is observed by all in the Manchester derby.

It won't be.

There was programme on BBC @ 10:30 where Gregg went back to Munich to meet some of the people and re-vist the crash site. They showed that picture, and you could tell the contrast in his & Foulkes eyes to the others, was just empty.

The Man was a true hero that day, saving many people including a mother with an unborn child, who he met in the programme.

And the thing about it was that he was so modest, but all in all, a real Legend :bowdown:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
There was programme on BBC @ 10:30 where Gregg went back to Munich to meet some of the people and re-vist the crash site. They showed that picture, and you could tell the contrast in his & Foulkes eyes to the others, was just empty.

The Man was a true hero that day, saving many people including a mother with an unborn child, who he met in the programme.

And the thing about it was that he was so modest, but all in all, a real Legend :bowdown:

Modesty seems to be the norm for these guy's. In his book, Bobby Charlton has nothing but admiration for Harry Gregg, and Bill Foulkes who helped as many survivors as possible, and for attending the funerals. Charlton goes on to say that he doesn't believe he could have done it.

Bobby Charlton was my boyhood hero, as was Gareth Edwards (yes, I know he's welsh but when it comes to rugby he is 'Our Lord Gareth Edwards'), Both epitomised everything that was good in sport, skill, bravery, honesty and modesty. I've never met Charlton but know people who have, they state that when he speaks about football he is very knowledgable and confident but on any other subject he's painfully shy.
Harry Gregg :bowdown:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Looking at the interviews with Bobby Charlton over the last few days left me with the impression that he is in the early stages of Parkinsons, which if true is very sad, did anyone else get that feeling?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

It won't be.

I hope the City fans remember that one of the journalists killed in the crash was Frank Swift, who was a legend between the sticks for their club, surely they will want to pay tribute to his memory alone.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Footy,i don't mean it in a flipant way at wall. It is just when you hear or see some names you don't always think positive. Bradford City/fire. Lockerbie/bomb on plane. :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here