Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single words that make you cringe helplessly

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Oh and the very clever(!) journalists who when have to come up with ridiculous conjoined names for celebrity couples and shorten other names such as:-

Brangelina, Jedward, SuBo, LiLo etc

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh and the very clever(!) journalists who when have to come up with ridiculous conjoined names for celebrity couples and shorten other names such as:-

Brangelina, Jedward, SuBo, LiLo etc

I like the one for Charlotte (Church) and Gav (Henson) - CHAV

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In my younger days I dreaded the word "Late" but only if preceeded by the word "I'm"!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
'Hero' when people mean 'Soldier'.

Soldiers are mostly honorable, dutiful, necessary and appreciated.

There is a difference between defending our own shores and pushing our values on other nations. Whats heroic about forcing our views on to others through the use of violence?

There are no heroes in war.

I'm with you on that one. Also hate it when couples call each other 'baby'

Reminds me of one of Harry Hill's older jokes - "I call my wife Hun, she's from Germany".

"Attitude" gets me, as so rightly referred to on TV (Arthur Smith I believe), "the Spice Girls have attitude, you mean they are rude and shout a lot". However the one that gets me the worst is much beloved of policticians of all colours, not sure how it is spelt but it comes out of their lying mouths as "weirgunna". I think they are trying to say "we are going to".

Straying a bit off topic, shops that advertise "Cheaper prices" or "Where quality is cheaper" get me. Haven't plucked up courage to go in and asked them for a pound of prices and a couple of qualitys.

.............And relax.

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Okay, I know it's not a single word, but the way some Australians end a sentence with a question really gets my goat, as in, "What are you doing next year?" "I'm going to uni?" Why? You're the one giving the answer. Not intending to tar all Aussies with the same brush, tedebear, but it's just a particular habit of some of your countrymen/women.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The other thing I can't stand is text speak in normal writing. Sorry if that makes me a boring old you-know-what, but I was brought up to use the English language properly. Spelling and grammar mistakes don't worry me; we all make them and I myself am dyslexic, but using 'u' instead of 'you' strikes me as downright lazy. Keep it for phone messages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here