Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sing the song: Green Day Good riddance

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Hang on - "Time of your life" is a f***ing great song.

So why the hell is this thread about "good riddance" - What the hell is that?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Loads of bands...in fact MOST bands are 'peddling' some sort of genre style derivative. Many of them are sub-metal, sub-punk, sub-rock, sub-blues, or sub something else.
So, your derogatory terminology is redundant. Not sub-redundant either.

I agree with you to some extent, if you are to play guitar, bass, drums rock music, chances are you will be using an older style of music. However, Green Day have made absolutely no effort to change their style in twenty years. Unless you count slowing a couple of songs down and putting some strings on them as musical progress. They also seem to have so little passion, there is no anger in their music, which is pretty much essential for punk music.

I agree with you to some extent, if you are to play guitar, bass, drums rock music, chances are you will be using an older style of music. However, Green Day have made absolutely no effort to change their style in twenty years. Unless you count slowing a couple of songs down and putting some strings on them as musical progress. They also seem to have so little passion, there is no anger in their music, which is pretty much essential for punk music.

Yeah, but what you are now saying is that they actually FAIL to emulate/recreate/create actual bone fide punk exactly enough for your liking.
Well - that would be copying, and since there isn't much for bands to be pissed off about now like the rebellion that was ACTUAL in 1976 - then doing it now would just be pseudo!
Imagine hearing some lot with torn t-shirts tearing into the establishment or monarchy nowadays - it would just be a little bit too retro to swallow.

The Chili Peppers passionately snarled "suck my kiss", but loser-anthems for slackers doing heroin under freeway bridges can only go so far before they are utterly filthy with hypocrisy.

When I gave Lydon advice about the Pistols re-union, it was damning regarding the credibility, but the road was always open for the money side of it - which is what he then (and now) cared about. Since they'd already told everyone they were swindled it was deemed very okay to simply recreate the rip-off in everyone's yearning-to-be-spat-upon face.
"oh pleeease, insult me, call me a cvnt, make me a part of your denigrating money-festering rip-off, I'll pay you loads".

Punk is dead, it was dead on arrival at the concert-hall box office!

If you want 'genuine' punk, it's on wax and it's on film and it's history.
If you were there, I hope you had the time of your life.

Someone oughta sing about that, and make another bundle. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Or a song by a band that have not been peddling sub punk shite for fifteen years.

I was going to say something sort-of similar.

Good riddance is a good song (in my opinion, like). Nimrod is a fantastic album, as is dookie, however I don't like their more recent stuff (last 10 years). I have the same view on red Hot Chillis too!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, but what you are now saying is that they actually FAIL to emulate/recreate/create actual bone fide punk exactly enough for your liking.
Well - that would be copying, and since there isn't much for bands to be pissed off about now like the rebellion that was ACTUAL in 1976 - then doing it now would just be pseudo!
Imagine hearing some lot with torn t-shirts tearing into the establishment or monarchy nowadays - it would just be a little bit too retro to swallow.

The Chili Peppers passionately snarled "suck my kiss", but loser-anthems for slackers doing heroin under freeway bridges can only go so far before they are utterly filthy with hypocrisy.

When I gave Lydon advice about the Pistols re-union, it was damning regarding the credibility, but the road was always open for the money side of it - which is what he then (and now) cared about. Since they'd already told everyone they were swindled it was deemed very okay to simply recreate the rip-off in everyone's yearning-to-be-spat-upon face.
"oh pleeease, insult me, call me a cvnt, make me a part of your denigrating money-festering rip-off, I'll pay you loads".

what the hell are you blabbering on about now? punk is dead is it?.....hmmm OK THEN :wozza:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Not at all, they are labelled as a punk band. I am not saying they need to emulate punk bands from the past, just saying there is no passion in what they do. This passion does not need to be in the form of political protest, many of the most passionate bands have no political edge at all.

Well - that would be copying, and since there isn't much for bands to be pissed off about now like the rebellion that was ACTUAL in 1976 - then doing it now would just be pseudo! Imagine hearing some lot with torn t-shirts tearing into the establishment or monarchy nowadays - it would just be a little bit too retro to swallow.

There is plenty for bands to be pissed off about now. Massive inequality throughout the world, greedy bankers, rise of the far right etc. That is not to say that Green Day need to write protest songs, just that they need to sound like they actually mean it. Whatever 'it' is, be it the girlfriend leaving you, the plight of an amazonian tribe or a fictional tale of pixies and nymphs. Their music has a terrible feeling of 'will this do?'. 'Yeh, MTV will deffo play that'. Cue high fives from Billy Joe, Tre and the other one.[/QUOTE]

The genre as we previously understood it is almost certainly dead. The DIY attitude that punk encouraged is most certainly not dead, so is punk dead? I would say not. Once again it is about having passion for music.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
anyone who thinks "punk is dead!" is a moron because they believe the world stopped when The Clash split up!! fact is Punk and sub genres of Punk are still going strong today and will do for many years to come.

as for Green Day...they're a Punk band, always have been always will be, just like The Offspring (who are better IMO)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh, does that make you a connoisseur or a rather dated music snob ?

Your missing the point entirely. I do not hate all popular bands at all. I am not saying that Green Day should be like just like old punk bands, all spitting at the crowd and protesting and stuff. Just that they should sound like they care about something, and that in twenty years they should have made some effort to grow musically. They should probably not be called a punk band as they are by most of the press and perhaps by themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here