Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sing the song: Green Day Good riddance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When I gave Lydon advice about the Pistols re-union, it was damning regarding the credibility, but the road was always open for the money side of it - which is what he then (and now) cared about.

Do you know John Lydon then? You never said. :lol:

Not at all, they are labelled as a punk band. I am not saying they need to emulate punk bands from the past, just saying there is no passion in what they do. This passion does not need to be in the form of political protest, many of the most passionate bands have no political edge at all.

So - you require that bands conform to the lable you have seen for them.
That's not very punk, what are YOU doing making requirements about the genre? :wrong:

There is plenty for bands to be pissed off about now. Massive inequality throughout the world, greedy bankers, rise of the far right etc. That is not to say that Green Day need to write protest songs, just that they need to sound like they actually mean it. Whatever 'it' is, be it the girlfriend leaving you, the plight of an amazonian tribe or a fictional tale of pixies and nymphs. Their music has a terrible feeling of 'will this do?'. 'Yeh, MTV will deffo play that'. Cue high fives from Billy Joe, Tre and the other one.

We are the World, we are the People. Those people DID something about it! Those were mainstream artists, nothing punk about Bono and Paul Young, Geldof or Jacko! They bemoaned inequality.
'Slacker' trio singer says he doesn't want to be an 'American Idiot', by falling under that lable and conforming to the idiosyncrasies. Hmm.... what kind of passion when you are saying something like that...screaming and losing your voice, wailing voodoo like Jay Hawkins or Lord Sutch?
That's entertainment, and they present it 100 times in 82 Cities, coming to a hippodrome near you. EVERY TIME a protest singer performs, they are reciting words that are never as exact and passionate as when they first wrote them - but to think about it every time a 65year-old 'talks about his generation' for the 12,000th time will spoil it - may as well forget all music!

The genre as we previously understood it is almost certainly dead. The DIY attitude that punk encouraged is most certainly not dead, so is punk dead? I would say not. Once again it is about having passion for music.

??? So where's yours?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Your missing the point entirely. I do not hate all popular bands at all. I am not saying that Green Day should be like just like old punk bands, all spitting at the crowd and protesting and stuff. Just that they should sound like they care about something, and that in twenty years they should have made some effort to grow musically. They should probably not be called a punk band as they are by most of the press and perhaps by themselves.

Well in fact, they started as a punk band but that was more than 20 years ago. Nowadays they are considered a mainstream rock band. As for them caring about something it's clear you put a new battery in your deaf aid as their stuff is very political (for what that's worth).

You're just an inverted snob and frankly your quoted comments come from somebody who is at the very best, sorely misinformed. You cannot compare the likes of Green Day with the majority of the punk bands of the late 70s (and yes I am comfortably old enough to have heard them) as apart from their longevity they can actually play their instruments. Punk was the most seriously hyped phenomena of it's time and it defeats me has to have people can actually class so much of the dross from that era as music.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Punk was the most seriously hyped phenomena of it's time and it defeats me has to have people can actually class so much of the dross from that era as music.

Punk changed the world. Or at least the musical world. As a minimum, anything that Rick Wakeman hated has to have been a force for good. Energised a whole generation of people into looking at doing new things. It was never about being able to play your instrument to Grade 8 level or something.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Punk changed the world. Or at least the musical world. As a minimum, anything that Rick Wakeman hated has to have been a force for good. Energised a whole generation of people into looking at doing new things. It was never about being able to play your instrument to Grade 8 level or something.

Curiously I predate Punk and if out of tune screaming over three off key chords is your thing then so be it. However, Punk, like Glam Rock, The New Romantics and so on had a very limited shelf like once people saw that a lot of chancers were (no pun intended) jumping on the band wagon.

Granted I was not much of a fan of the likes of Yes or Zeppelin and never had any time for the likes of ELP or Pink Floyd. I was listening to the likes of Steely Dan and Little Feat not to mention ZZ Top long before they were known here however that doesn't make me the arbiter of good taste, I just know real crap when I hear it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Push pineapple, shake the tree.

??

"Agadoo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee..."

aVLzU39.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In your opinion, like.

I don't make a point of dissing somebody else's taste in music but 'Punk Legend' John Lydon now does butter adverts, wonder when Billy Joe Armstrong will do a similar gig for I can't believe it's not butter ?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Green Day? Is that the fake Yank punks with the skinny ties that missed the boat by about twenty years?

SO 1980 Power Pop :rolleyes:

Oi, Greenday played at a club of mine in Tun Wells in about 1990 and then at The Forum in TW a year later. Both times to about 100 people - they were genuinely nice people! So get your facts right, they only missed the boat by 10 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here