Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Jordan you tosser

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Yorkie said:
I would hope he had a bit more common sense.

He probably would have, but it is the perception and image of Brighton. When i first started working up here no one directly said anything about me but they used to joke " better watch your back in Brighton" it's just a bit of banter - i didn't get on my high horse and report people to HR. The whole world has become to PC rightly or wrongly.

I for one think the fact Brighton has this Gay image does it a lot of favous its keep alot of groups of lads out of the place because they think "it's full of gays". Suits me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I didn't see the programme but...

( I sound like an MP )

..it is homophobia quite obviously is the truest sense of the word.

He is using "being gay" as a term of abuse, because the recipients where Brighton fans who he would obviously wish to wind up at least...

I couldn't give a flying f*ck about him to be honest.

But it will be interesting what the authorities do if a complaint is received, if they are as serious about homophobia as they claim to be.

The funniest thing would be how he tried to defend it in his newwspaper.

:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goring Gull said:
He probably would have, but it is the perception and image of Brighton. When i first started working up here no one directly said anything about me but they used to joke " better watch your back in Brighton" it's just a bit of banter - i didn't get on my high horse and report people to HR. The whole world has become to PC rightly or wrongly.

I for one think the fact Brighton has this Gay image does it a lot of favous its keep alot of groups of lads out of the place because they think "it's full of gays". Suits me.

Jokes are fine but chairmen should know better than to publicly say things like that.
A councillor in Brighton was made to publicly apologise for his comments recently.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Tooting Gull said:
Yes I did - but you're falling headlong into the trap. People taunting straight Brighton fans about being gay is NOT homophobic in the same way that the same comments towards gays would be. Crass, idiotic of course - but not homophobic. Because they aren't gay. Unless of course they are, and is anyone claiming that one of the Brighton fans on the panel is? Thought not.

But anyway, I do agree with the point about Soccer AM being way past its sell-by date. TV is often of its time, it's had an excellent run but is looking very tired.

Surely the use of racist language would be racist even if the person wasn't black? It's same for homophobia. If I call my straight friend a 'shit-stabbing faggot' it's offensive regardless of his sexual preferences.

Jordan's quip was casually homophobic. Which is why Lovejoy et al apologised immediately and shifted about uncomfortably for the remainder of the conversation.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I think we should complain to the police, or Ofcom, or both.

I know, I know, none of us are particularly suprised, or particularly wound up by it, but who else thinks it would be f*cking funny if he ended up in court because of it!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
DJ Leon said:
Surely the use of racist language would be racist even if the person wasn't black? It's same for homophobia. If I call my straight friend a 'shit-stabbing faggot' it's offensive regardless of his sexual preferences.

Jordan's quip was casually homophobic. Which is why Lovejoy et al apologised immediately and shifted about uncomfortably for the remainder of the conversation.

You have touched on the key point about whether something is more offensive depending on who says it to whom.

Some would say not, but the black population in this country will tell you that the 'n' word is far more offensive when used by a white person towards/about them than among themselves.

I've got no time for Jordan, the bloke's a prick and suspiciously anti-gay. But I've never understood this. Why do straight Brighton fans get so upset about the gay jibes? Unless what they're really annoyed about is being labelled gay, which makes them as prejudiced as the 'amusing' individuals singing the songs/chairmen making the rather inane 'gags'.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tooting Gull said:
You have touched on the key point about whether something is more offensive depending on who says it to whom.

Some would say not, but the black population in this country will tell you that the 'n' word is far more offensive when used by a white person towards/about them than among themselves.

I've got no time for Jordan, the bloke's a prick and suspiciously anti-gay. But I've never understood this. Why do straight Brighton fans get so upset about the gay jibes? Unless what they're really annoyed about is being labelled gay, which makes them as prejudiced as the 'amusing' individuals singing the songs/chairmen making the rather inane 'gags'.

Isn't importuning an arrestable offence?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º> said:
seconded.

just watched it back on sky+ and they were a bunch of idiots. could none of them seriously not think of something to say when the orange one took the piss out of them to their faces?
bouch of idiots,funny calling them that on here perhaps you should meet up with the three at the back and say that to their faces.spoke to one of them earlier,they slagged him off loads of times but their mikes were turned off fact,plus they had to sign some contract before the show,in his words they gave him loads of abuse.i suggest before gobbing off you should think

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
They were BAD,BAD fans letting the orange one take the mic- mics turned off my arse a good bellow would have been picked up no problem.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
easy to slag them off on here behind your key board :nono: mind i didnt know half of them only the 3 at the back,mind dawson took the handshake in good spirits:lolol: he wasnt happy,but had a beer after with him

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It's perfectly possible for straight people to be offended by homophobic language, though. I'm white and straight, and am offended by racism, and serious homophobia....

Absolutely right. But I can't accept that a straight Brighton fan feels as offended by homophobic comments as, say, a gay in Zimbabwe who knows Mugabe would like him dead. That's real homophobia, and the type everyone should be prepared to make a stand on. To put how Brighton fans might feel anywhere close to that category that is a bit distasteful.

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Indeed. But we as football fans can't realistically do much about that. We -- or the club -- can realistically make a song and dance about Jordan's idiotic comments, by reporting him to the police or Ofcom, and get a bit of publicity for the anti-homophobia cause.... let people know that even silly, off-hand comments, especially by people in the public eye, are not OK.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If you're wound up over this then Jordan has done what he wanted & actually gained some popularity amonst the pikey scum. Something he's been struggling to achieve for years.

Lighten up!

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Like I said, I'm not wound up. But I think it would be quite funny if we could expose the permatanned one to some negative publicity over this. If you actually think it would make him more popular, then -- quite tragic though that is -- perhaps we shouldn't bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here