Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Jordan.......should we gloat?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Personally, the game I would relish is a full house at Falmer against Palace...in the Premiership. And yes, I'm old enough to remember when we used to get the better of them in the top flight.

Two games stand out. Boxing Day 1979 when we went 3-0 up by half time (Horton and Ward 2 I believe) and the WHOLE North Stand (still with old roof) was bouncing up and down to 'Jingle Bells'. Easter 1981 when we good as relegated them at Selhurst (also 3-0?) during our four game winning run to stay up.

So I dont mind if they have the odd financial difficulty if it brings closer the day we play them regularly, but ultimately I want to see both teams battling in the Prem.

PG

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm more with Mendoza on this; I'd much rather have nights like Smellhurst in October 2005 - I can remember few better atmospheres than that, with both clubs in the Championship (given the situation both clubs are in - P***** with their current problems and us just recovering neither are likely to be in the Premiership soon), though obviously I wouldn't want us to be struggling as we were then. Mind you, I laughed myself stupid at Saturday's result, and was gutted when the referee failed to see Freedman's clear handball at Stockport in the season we won Division Three. With Bobby on fire, we might have given them a fair battle instead of giving up without a fight. Sure, I want the scum to lose every game, but go out of business, no.

Kay: are you sure it wasn't Brighton Rock who joined you and Edna? He came on both marches, I think.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
If you think our rivalry with Palace will fade away because we'll lose young fans to the Premier League, think again.
No matter how long it takes us to play them again, you just wait and see what the atmosphere will be like. I'm nudging 50 now so remember the 70's and 80's games and what fantastic days they were. This is a derby to rival any.
So no, I do not wish to see the Smellhurst ones go under and would happily help them just like they helped us. Just so that I can go to their place or ours and tell em how much I hate em.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Papajaff I think you're being unrealistic.

Nobody's saying the rivalry will disappear but when it was at its height and we were playing each other year in, year out that was well before the Premiership, Champions League and when there was practically zero live football on TV, but plenty of terracing.

I guess I'm just f***ed off that lower league football clubs are struggling en masse, even if that does include Palace.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Personally, the game I would relish is a full house at Falmer against Palace...in the Premiership. And yes, I'm old enough to remember when we used to get the better of them in the top flight.

Two games stand out. Boxing Day 1979 when we went 3-0 up by half time (Horton and Ward 2 I believe) and the WHOLE North Stand (still with old roof) was bouncing up and down to 'Jingle Bells'. Easter 1981 when we good as relegated them at Selhurst (also 3-0?) during our four game winning run to stay up.

So I dont mind if they have the odd financial difficulty if it brings closer the day we play them regularly, but ultimately I want to see both teams battling in the Prem.

PG

That's the spirit. While I can see you lot wanting to get the upper hand and put us in the our place, I'd hope that going bust wouldn't be welcomed.

I remember the late 70s, early 80s games too, but I was not yet 10 and my dad wouldn't always take me. But think about the 5-0 and your 1-0 at Selhurst. How often do you get that buzz when we're not playing each other? This year we haven't even got the Clowns or Spanners.

We've both got a decent hard core, and as someone else said we've been in admin before. Even if we go the AFC route we'll still be there. And we'll have a stream of young talent like Bostock and Victor Moses.

Here's to a few more Palace v Albion blinders.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
this thread is a mouth watering starter to the TSLR Palace special that is coming out on Friday night ... it's full of stuff from both sides ... so make sure you get one, it's very good if i say so myself.

"When I was about 14 I was meeting my dad in Brighton to get a lift to a Palace mid week night game. It was about 5pm and I had just got off the bus in the Old Steine, I was wearing a Palace training jumper and this grown man, in a suit, walked past me, saw the logo on the jumper and said ‘You little Palace c*nt’."

and there's loads more of this, loads more.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Papajaff I think you're being unrealistic.QUOTE]

Pavilionaire, don't get me wrong, bottom line is I don't want to see Palace or anyone struggle like we did.
I just want to see us playing them twice a season like we used to.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

I remember them very well , PG.

The 3-0 at Selhurst in front of the motd cameras was special.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I very much doubt Jordan will let them remained unpaid for long. I reckon this is a bluff to get someone to buy the club off him. Their only assets are the players and he is not going to let Moses et al walk away for free.

Plenty of fans will have been pinning their hopes on Gold and Sullivan, but I see they are heading towards the East End.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
"When I was about 14 I was meeting my dad in Brighton to get a lift to a Palace mid week night game. It was about 5pm and I had just got off the bus in the Old Steine, I was wearing a Palace training jumper and this grown man, in a suit, walked past me, saw the logo on the jumper and said ‘You little Palace c*nt’."

now THAT is the spirit :clap2:

As a 70s veteran, I dont want to see them go bust, just financially stunted and crippled for a few years, whilst we grow into and enjoy our state of the art new stadium, just to remind them who the real top dog in this rivalry really is :albion1:

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
now THAT is the spirit :clap2:

As a 70s veteran, I dont want to see them go bust, just financially stunted and crippled for a few years, whilst we grow into and enjoy our state of the art new stadium, just to remind them who the real top dog in this rivalry really is :albion1:

I'm old, but not old enough to remember you lot as top dogs.

Haven't Darlington got a new stadium? And Oxford?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here