Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Jordan.......should we gloat?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you were at the Goldstone in 1976 to see us beat that rabble 2-0 before the best EVER atmostphere I have seen at a game then you would want to sample that again surely.
I`ll never forget that evening when big Sammy came into the side and did the business.
Smoke bombs and all.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I'm old, but not old enough to remember you lot as top dogs.

Haven't Darlington got a new stadium? And Oxford?

You *might* have just about had bragging rights for the last few years, even though we are still well ahead of you on results, and total games won.

Your status however is slipping dangerously downwards, and all is about to change :D

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

You have picked two TERRIBLE examples.

Reynolds was/is a scoundrel who should never have been entrusted with ownership of a football club. Kassam was never interested in Oxford the football club, rather income from the stadium/hotel etc. and redeveloping The Manor. In their relegation season, from Division Four, the players were having to take in their own food as the club did not provide it.

Granted, a new stadium does not guarantee success, but it goes a long way to ensuring a future of the football club, certainly in our case.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It does make me giggle when I see they are struggling but no way would I wish them to go under, go down yes but not under. Jordan has tired with his plaything & wants out by the looks of it & maybe trying to bring forward anyone who has a real interest in buying the club. I suppose he is hoping for money men from the middle east or something & by playing his silly games will force someones hand. They'll get paid their wages I'm sure.

I'd much rather see us climb the leagues & meet them that way so when we whoop their asses ( probably something they'd enjoy ) we will all get to enjoy it all the more as it will be on our way to the Premiership

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm old, but not old enough to remember you lot as top dogs.

Yes, obviously you don't know about the 'Team of the Eighties' that was relegated after just two seasons. The same one that was thrashed on Boxing Day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mendoza, you're spot on as usual.

But only for those who weren't there in the old Div 3/2/1 days. He is way off the mark for me though..I may be in a very small minority but beating Palace in the latter rounds of the FA cup would give me more of a buzz than beating Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal :shrug:

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Yes, obviously you don't know about the 'Team of the Eighties' that was relegated after just two seasons. The same one that was thrashed on Boxing Day.

Of course I do. The team that pipped your lot to the 2nd division title in 1979 when you were flying to the States. I believe that we finished higher than you in 79-80 in the top flight.

Thereafter you certainly had the upper hand between 1980 and 1985, but once Coppell was bedded in, we were pushing for promotion until 1989 when our paths separated. Until 2003 that is.

The truth is that there hasn't been much history between us in 20 years - 4 games - but that will probably change going forward, given our respective prospects.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We only want them to implode as we are jealous of them being better than us.

I like the rivalry and I think it is up to us to prove we are good enough to compete with them - i.e. win 25-30 games of football in a season and get promoted
I hear what you're saying but I want more than that. I want us to win 25-30 games a year and for Palace to lose 25-30 games a year. I'd be quite happy to pass them in a promotion/relegation switch without playing them. I want us to be in the top division and them to be in the bottom division - not for ever, but just long enough to redress the balance. Reading the posts above this one and you can see how we're trying to 'big up' our record when the sad fact is that on balance over the years Palace have been a bigger and better club than us and they've never plumbed the depths like we did. Hopefully their current problems are the start of some really desparate times for them - but I wouldn't bet against some bastard saving them before they have a chance to be REALLY shit like we were in the mid-late 1990s.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I wish hard times on them, and will enjoy seeing them struggle, just as they would have enjoyed us struggling.

BUT, there is no way I want them out of existence. When push comes to shove, we are all fans, and that ultimately bonds us. That day at Hereford I honestly thought I was watching my club fall completely out of existence, and I don't wish that on any fan.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Personally, the game I would relish is a full house at Falmer against Palace...in the Premiership. And yes, I'm old enough to remember when we used to get the better of them in the top flight.

Two games stand out. Boxing Day 1979 when we went 3-0 up by half time (Horton and Ward 2 I believe) and the WHOLE North Stand (still with old roof) was bouncing up and down to 'Jingle Bells'. Easter 1981 when we good as relegated them at Selhurst (also 3-0?) during our four game winning run to stay up.

So I dont mind if they have the odd financial difficulty if it brings closer the day we play them regularly, but ultimately I want to see both teams battling in the Prem.

PG

That's exactly how I feel, and as someone who was at the Goldstone that wonderful Boxing Day, I wish for more days like that.

I want more nights like the 1-0 up there a few years ago, hopefully in the Championship - as far as this year is concerned, I guess they'll go into Admin. lose 10 points but still stay up.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Easter 1981 when we good as relegated them at Selhurst (also 3-0?) during our four game winning run to stay up.

Was that the game when Digweed took a mighty whack in the face? I seem to think we were pretty close to going down as well and that win kicked off a 4 match winning streak that kept us up on the last day.

Happy, happy days. Let's have them again, please.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No way would I want Palace to go under. No way. Bit like Dr Who and the Daleks they need us and we need them!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Palace will be fine, investors are waiting for administration in my opinion so they can buy the club for pennies with the debts wiped off.
Well thats what a couple of my Palace mates are telling me anyway, they probably will have to sell all there best players in january and will lose the 10 points for going into admin however. then will srtruggle to stay up. We will see.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Players have been paid today so that buys us some time. Likelihood is that Moses and maybe Clynne will go in the window, but inevitable in the grand scheme of things. The production line goes on however and some playing in the Youth Cup win last night will emerge as stars (how is Jake Robinson doing btw?).

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Having lived in Oxford for twelve years, and being an occasional visitor to the Kassam Stadium, I know about Oxford United and the problems that they have had in recent years.

Firoz Kassam still owns the stadium that bears his name. Oxford United pays him an annual rent of at least £300,000. Even though he stepped down as club chairman nearly four years ago, he refuses to sell the stadium to the club at a reasonable price. All revenue from catering on match days goes to Kassam. In addition, Kassam makes money from the extensive conference facilities at the stadium. The website of Kassam’s company, Firoka, promotes the stadium as a conference centre: the football club isn’t mentioned once.

Kassam used Oxford United in order to get the bowlplex and hotel complex that he craved. During his chairmanship, he spent virtually no money on transfer fees and the club plunged from the Championship to the Conference. In February, 2006, when United were staring non-league football in the face, I went to a fans’ forum at which Kassam, the thirteenth-richest person in the UK, was asked why he continued to refuse to invest in the team. His answer was: “I have other priorities.” His bodyguards averted a lynching.

Our detractors keep making glib comments about the problems other clubs have encountered following their moves to new homes. I have described Oxford United’s problems. Darlington’s were caused by an overambitious owner saddling them with a stadium which they would never so much as half-fill. The likes of Coventry and Southampton borrowed too much money to fund construction of their stadiums. Try telling fans of Doncaster, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff and Reading, to name but a few clubs, that acquiring a new stadium is as likely to end in failure on the pitch as it is to result in success.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
What with so many clubs on the brink of financial ruin, it's looking increasingly miraculous that, even in our darkest days, we didn't even go into administration.

We should be grateful that we were not in a position to play in the Premier League during its boom years. If the parlous state of the likes of Watford (I had been under the impression that they were prudently run) and Palace, not to mention the likes of Bradford City, is the price to be paid for a couple of seasons in the Premier League then I'm glad that we were unavoidably absent from the party. Talk about a hangover...

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Hate the man
Hate the club
But I remember seeing Palace fans at the "Fans United" game so they ain't all bad
Yes I cheer when they lose but what would be the point of them going out of business - we could never then prove that we were better than them.
We're all junkies for this game - it's the same drug just a slightly different prescription.
I shall now duck down behind a parapet for a month or two . . . !!

Yes we should gloat, be happy at their demise and celebrate their hardships. No we shouldn't wish them out of exsistance. Brighton adn Hove Albion wishing a club out of exsistance is disgraceful and the only thign worse than a palace fan is a fan who would wish any team out of existance because they aren't a fan of football.

But a few season in L2/BSP would be a riot! (L2 for them, a Riot for us!)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I wish hard times on them, and will enjoy seeing them struggle, just as they would have enjoyed us struggling.

BUT, there is no way I want them out of existence. When push comes to shove, we are all fans, and that ultimately bonds us. That day at Hereford I honestly thought I was watching my club fall completely out of existence, and I don't wish that on any fan.

Absolutly f***ing top post. I take my preverbial hat off to you, sir!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
What with so many clubs on the brink of financial ruin, it's looking increasingly miraculous that, even in our darkest days, we didn't even go into administration.

We should be grateful that we were not in a position to play in the Premier League during its boom years. If the parlous state of the likes of Watford (I had been under the impression that they were prudently run) and Palace, not to mention the likes of Bradford City, is the price to be paid for a couple of seasons in the Premier League then I'm glad that we were unavoidably absent from the party. Talk about a hangover...

Spot on. Hull look set to follow, as do Pompey IMO. The overstretching of reasources on the premise of future success is a very dangerous game. Redknapp got a lot of credit for winning the cup with Pompey, but if you think of the money he spent and the state he left them in.... :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here