Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign here

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who the feck is this Glover character ???

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Uncle Buck said:
Agains the Swiss we did what was needed and won 3-0. The Portugal game we did end up playing like a Serie A fixture, holding on to what we had. It was not helped that we lost Rooney, brough Vassell on, who is similar to Owen, when in hindsight Heskey might have been a better option as he would have offered something different up front.

you're spot with the Vassell/Heskey thing, though it keeps happening, Sven trys to sit on 1-0 leads, makes a bad substitution and everyone sits there waiting for the inevitable goal in the 83rd+ minute

If it wasnt so close to the World Cup I'd say hes had his time though its too close now to change. 3 of the last 4 games have been bad, Saturday was ok though brought the wrong striker off I feel. Sven is the weakest link in the best team we've had in many years

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
we do tend to sit on leads when we get them, Portugal, Brazil, Austria although after super dave got sent off there was nota lot else on the cards

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Kinky,

Find me any reputable football journalist who agrees with your point of view and I'll find you ten who don't.

Are these the same people who think Terry is the best defender in the world?

Ha ha Journalist are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
maffew said:
you're spot with the Vassell/Heskey thing, though it keeps happening, Sven trys to sit on 1-0 leads, makes a bad substitution and everyone sits there waiting for the inevitable goal in the 83rd+ minute

If it wasnt so close to the World Cup I'd say hes had his time though its too close now to change. 3 of the last 4 games have been bad, Saturday was ok though brought the wrong striker off I feel. Sven is the weakest link in the best team we've had in many years

No Gerrard and Lampard are.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Uncle Buck said:
Funny or not, they are the biggest problem in that side, as they both perform the same role. It will be interesting tomorrow to see how we perform with King in the holding role.

You are absolutely right in that the Gerrard Lampard thing is a big problem for us on the pitch, we must get the best out of of those 2 to get this team playing to its potential, if it means leaving one of them on the bench, fair enough. I said before it would be suicide to lose Sven now, but Gerrard and Lamps are much more key to the squad than he is IMHO

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
maffew said:
You are absolutely right in that the Gerrard Lampard thing is a big problem for us on the pitch, we must get the best out of of those 2 to get this team playing to its potential, if it means leaving one of them on the bench, fair enough. I said before it would be suicide to lose Sven now, but Gerrard and Lamps are much more key to the squad than he is IMHO

I do feel this is why those friendlies are vital, they have to tinker with the midfield in particular and to be honest give Kirkland a couple of games, so that if Robinson is injured at least our back up keeper has some idea of international football.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The friendly with Argentina in November could be a very good test for the team. It's a chance to test ourselves against one of the favourites for the tournament in a European setting. If we beat them then I think it counts towards our World Ranking which could help our seeding.

Of course that will rely on Premiership managers releasing players for the game and not persuading them to come down with injuries.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
The friendly with Argentina in November could be a very good test for the team. It's a chance to test ourselves against one of the favourites for the tournament in a European setting. If we beat them then I think it counts towards our World Ranking which could help our seeding.

All very true, but the bit I am really looking forward to is drinking Hurlimans all weekend....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here