Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign here

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Any manager that keeps us up with our resources deserves whatever bonus Knight sees fit and can afford.

Can you not see that it is a question of resources and how those resources are managed that dictate how well a manager is doing???

Sven has got a half million pound bonus for doing his job. Well done Sven.

I assume you will be booing england next summer along with easy 10

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im pretty sure Sven has lost the dressing room also, that shows in the performances.

If there wasnt a World Cup on the horizon then players would be saying something, as it is they dont want to blow there chances of making the squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
All Hoddle was allowed to do? He had lost the dressing room as was shown in the post France results oh and had some interesting views on the disabled, meaning his position was untenable..
Right, but we seem to be drawing a distinction here.

Sven (in some peoples eyes) seems to be above cricitism because of his results. Whereas other previous managers are not.

I'm not saying I want Hoddle back, or that I particularly rated him. But if we're talking specifically about RESULTS, Hoddle and Sven are pretty much on a par. You can't have it both ways. If someone else was a "bad manager" because of x, y and z then fine. But the fact of the matter is, in terms of RESULTS, Sven is hardly any better than we've had in the past, so to blithely say "his record speaks for itself" and hold this up as the sole reason for keeping him in a job just doesn't hold water. He's no better than we've had before, and we soon found other reasons to get rid of them.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Marshy said:
Im pretty sure Sven has lost the dressing room also, that shows in the performances.

If there wasnt a World Cup on the horizon then players would be saying something, as it is they dont want to blow there chances of making the squad.

The few that have questioned him are those he does not pick (Fowler and Southgate) and that could be viewed as sour grapes.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm with Easy on this one. The last 4 performances from England with several undoubtedly world class players in Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Ferdinand has been turgid, rancid crap of the highest order.

Sven has achieved nothing, nothing so far, 2 1/4 final capitulations when any decent manager would have got us through in the positions we were in and qualifying games against part time postmen and ambulance drivers.

Our qualifying grounds have been equivalant of

Chelsea ( England )
Port Vale ( Poland )
Colchester ( Austria )
Barnet ( Wales )
Rushden & Diamonds N Ireland )
Forest Green Rovers ( Azerbijan )

Now from that lot you would expect Chelsea to win at a canter, England should have won this group a while back, any manager would have got us qualification, Sven has been paid £ 4 000 000 a year so we expect results.

Winning the world cup would be the only pay back for sticking with this fool but there is as much chance of this as me being spotted walking down Lewes High Street with Angelina Jolie on one arm and Keira Knightly on the other.

Get Pyscho in now.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Svens not perfect and some of his substitutions baffle me but I cannot see anyone else champing at the bit to take the job and got us there.

He is like McGhee, who baffles me too, he has done the job, now we move to the next level, is the finals, and lets see what happens. He has 8 months to sort it.

Part of the problem imho is the media install fear of losing in to all england managers and we shut up shop at 1.0.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Right, but we seem to be drawing a distinction here.

Sven (in some peoples eyes) seems to be above cricitism because of his results. Whereas other previous managers are not.

I'm not saying I want Hoddle back, or that I particularly rated him. But if we're talking specifically about RESULTS, Hoddle and Sven are pretty much on a par. You can't have it both ways. If someone else was a "bad manager" because of x, y and z then fine. But the fact of the matter is, in terms of RESULTS, Sven is hardly any better than we've had in the past, so to blithely say "his record speaks for itself" and hold this up as the sole reason for keeping him in a job just doesn't hold water. He's no better than we've had before, and we soon found other reasons to get rid of them.

But Hoddles results were not as good. He got us to a World Cup, went out in the second round, well Sven got us to a World Cup (having taken over when we had one point of a possible 6) and at that tournament we went out in the quarters, so better World Cup record. Hoddle then oversaw us draw 0-0 at home with Bulgaria and win (but not convincingly, so in your eyes bad) in Luxemberg. He then came out with some crackpot comments and was soon signing on. But he had zero man management skills and could never get his head around the fact that some of the players were not as talented as him. On the eve of France 98 he says Owen is not a natural goalscorer. Not really what a manager should be doing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
For us to win the World Cup we need all out top players ( of which we do have some) to play at their peak, be injury free, and get lucky. But above all, we need them to play well and consistently for more than one match!

When was the last time Engald played well for more than one or two games in a row?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sneaky George said:
For us to win the World Cup we need all out top players ( of which we do have some) to play at their peak, be injury free, and get lucky. But above all, we need them to play well and consistently for more than one match!

When was the last time Engald played well for more than one or two games in a row?

Last summer, beat the Swiss, then the Croats, then drew with the Portugesse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
What exactly did he change?

I think I could wait another 4 years for the response because Sven changed nothing, probably had his head in his hands after 6 mins though. Shouldn't be too difficult a question to ask what a "world class" manager has done tactically during a 4 year reign that changed the course of a game during it and turned it round should it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
I assume you will be booing england next summer along with easy 10
Yes thats right Kinky. I HATE England, and my mission in life is to see them fail miserably forever :rolleyes:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
World Cup Odds

Brazil 3/1
Argentina 6/1
Germany 13/2
England 8/1
Italy 10/1
Holland 10/1
France 12/1
Spain 14/1
Portugal 20/1
Czech Rep 33/1

William Hill

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Uncle Buck said:
Last summer, beat the Swiss, then the Croats, then drew with the Portugesse.

Uncle B - we did play very well against Croatia ( why can't we play like that all the time? ) but you can't say we played well v the Swiss and against Portugal we were so defensive it was embarrassing.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Kinky,

Find me any reputable football journalist who agrees with your point of view and I'll find you ten who don't.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sneaky George said:
Uncle B - we did play very well against Croatia ( why can't we play like that all the time? ) but you can't say we played well v the Swiss and against Portugal we were so defensive it was embarrassing.

Agains the Swiss we did what was needed and won 3-0. The Portugal game we did end up playing like a Serie A fixture, holding on to what we had. It was not helped that we lost Rooney, brough Vassell on, who is similar to Owen, when in hindsight Heskey might have been a better option as he would have offered something different up front.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If Pyscho was offered the England job I cannot see him saying thanks but no thanks can you :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
If Pyscho was offered the England job I cannot see him saying thanks but no thanks can you :rolleyes:

Actually Glover, at the moment yes.

He seems to be learning the ropes. What is the point of taking the job too early and then ending up on the managerial scrap heap at a young age and visiting that well trodden route of ex England managers and having to manage Wolves.

His time will come, but not yet and although I think he is a long term option, he has done nothing yet as a manager to suggest he is up to it. Let him learn his stuff at City for a couple of years and then go from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here