Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign here to support Big Ron

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Wilko said:
While I do not agree with Ron's comments how many of you would saycertain things down a pub on a friday night you would not like repeated to your grandmother ??

Yes I would say certain things that I would not repeated to my grandmother - but I would not say what RA said and nor would I want to talk to someone who did for very long.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Wilko said:
While I do not agree with Ron's comments how many of you would saycertain things down a pub on a friday night you would not like repeated to your grandmother ??

Actually I wish my grandmother would stop saying things like that to me when I'm trying to piss off down the pub. . .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was the manager of Man U when we lost to them in the cup final in '83. No sympathy for him at all. ****** is one of those words you cannot say, end of story. It shows Ron's real roots, and they is bad

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Inkerman said:
Yes I would say certain things that I would not repeated to my grandmother - but I would not say what RA said and nor would I want to talk to someone who did for very long.

No, you are right, that is very true. I was just thinking that I probably say a few things in confidence to close friends that I would not like the rest of the world to hear.

However, you are correct that anyone who says what Ron did say, whether it be in private or otherwise is way out of line.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Now i may be wrong but i'm sure i remember a few years back he was commentating on a European game sure it involved Man Utd and some one, I swear i heard him call a black player a "stupid little black boy" maybe wrong but i'm sure thats what i remember him saying as my sister was watching it as well and she picked up on it.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
No sympathy whatsoever from me for the following reasons;

1) He made very clear racists remarks, he wasn't joking, as far as I know, he wasn't drunk.
2) He's a dreadful summariser (IMHO)
3) Remember 1983?
4) He doesn't need the money
5) Do you want to bet that he won't come squirming back to our screen's/radios/newspapers is a couple of years?
6) Just because he supported coloured players in the past, doesn't excuse his remarks, or even come close.

The only thing you can say in favour of the bloke is that he resigned immediately.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In Big Ron's defence he was one of the first managers to introduve black players into english football and is well known for this.

I think he didnt mean any racism in it, but should have chosen his words better. Had he said 'hes a lazy useles frog' would the reaction have been the same?

No excuse and he did the right thing resigning, but I dont think for one minute he is actually a racist.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley

6) Just because he supported coloured players in the past, doesn't excuse his remarks, or even come close.
[/B]

Not for nuttin', like, but I don't imagine many right-thinking people like yerself would smile on the phrase "coloured players" these days, either.

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Richie Morris said:
In Big Ron's defence he was one of the first managers to introduve black players into english football and is well known for this.

Well that's a big time defence of him.

Who were the first people to introduce slavery into the US - I guess they were champions of black rights as well?

He didn't introduce black players into his team because he was a well meaning liberal but because they were bloody good players and he wanted to win football matches.

Don't believe he's racist? - the word he used doesn't just trip of the tongue, it's either specifically choosen or is there avaialble because it's a word you use a lot.

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
No support from me.

I think it has been patently obvious for some time that he has racist opinions from his commentary. Like Goring Gull I remember him making reference to a players skin colour when giving his 'expert summary.'

Good riddance.

I'm sure if he's hard up he'll always find work as an after dinner speaker for like minded biggots and racists.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I've never been a fan of Big Ron as far as his commentary goes, but I think it's a bloody shame he's had to resign over this ...

The idea that this exposes the racist undercurrent in football is nonsense, IMHO - it just confirms that Ron, like most people sometimes gets angry with people and thinks things he doesn't mean, he was just foolish enough to say them out loud, although it was meant to be in private.

If this was about "Frogs" or "Krauts", would we have the outcry? He made a mistake, he said something he doesn't believe in - maybe he deserves to be punished for his slip, but I hope he'll be back

I don't agree with Ernest in so much as this is a matter of free speech - racism is abhorrent and indefensible, however, I don't see this case this way

Last edited:

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
He is a TWAT of the highest order and has got 'previous' with rascist remarks.

During a World Cup match Big Ron observed how the mother of a Cameroon player must be proud watching her son "in her tree" :tosser:

The fact he picked black players for West Brom is irrelevant. Like having a black schoolfriend or work colleague and saying"well of course you're all right, it's the others."

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Ron never meant the public to hear what he said and apoligised. Question is was calling him a ****** meant as an insult or as a ignorant description of his looks ? Would lazy fcuking baldy have got him the chop ? Definetly naive, Racist ? I doubt it.

I hope after issuing his apology and a long term of reflection he's given another chance somewhere as racism must not appear to be incurable.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What great news, I come back from New York (morning all) and Ron Atkinson's lost his job. An excellent start to the week.

What I find interesting is that part of his defence is that "I didn't know my mike was on", therefore it wasn't meant to be heard. He also claimed yesterday that he couldn't even remember saying it. In my book that makes it worse, as the implication is that he uses language like that so regularly it's not even memorable to him. It's certainly not an excuse.

There's a full transcript in today's Mirror, which doesn't make good reading for Ron.

"F*****g lazy thick n*****r" is what he apparently said, which is pretty damned offensive in most people's books.

He's probably the type of guy who thinks it's ok, as his circle of friends are exactly the same.

We all say things in front of our mates that we wouldn't say publicly, but I can honestly say that I've never said anything like that, either in public or in private, and nor would I. TV won't be any worse for his disappearance, IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here