Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sicily

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I know that this has appeared on NSC before, but my girlfriend and I are thinking about a holiday in Sicily next May. We're not keen on a breach holiday, and would rather visit quaint towns and marvel at stunning architecture. Any tips from NSCers that have visited Sicily recently will be more than welcome. Does Palermo offer enough for a five day break, or should we travel further afield ? Is using public transport to get around the Island viable ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had a two week break in Sicily 5 years ago in Marina de Ragusa in the south of the island. Absolutely loved it. Very quiet area with hardly any Brits, which got busy at weekends as that’s where Italians headed. Enough restaurants for a week but we had to repeat a couple in week 2, but the food was so good we didn’t really care too much.

The old town of Ragusa up in the hills is absolutely stunning.

Also took a trip up Mt Etna which was well worth it.

Marina de Ragusa seafront - lovely 10 minute stroll along in the evening into town,
IMG_8349.jpeg

Ragusa old town

IMG_8350.jpeg

Mt Etna
IMG_8348.jpeg

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We hired a place last August for 5 in

Termini Imerese​

Dead cheap compared to most and situated high on the hills in northern Sicily just outside a town called Cacamo.
The restaurants in the town had stunning food (ultra good value) and we had a couple of excursions to nearby places to do a sunset boat trip /walking tour.
Palermo was nice but very busy and much more expensive.

DudsFarm

Oct 2, 2020
Cheltenham
Was in Western Sicily 2 weeks ago, stayed at a fab old abbey Abbazia Santa Maria del Bosco, great if you like history and quiet. Went to Erice which was nice but tourist hotspot. Palermo was busy, several sights to see, especially the Theatre. 2 full days was enough. Day trip out to Cefalu by train was good, thought maybe worth a night or two in fact. Went to east coast a few years ago to visit the 3 volcanoes Etna, Stromboli and Volcano. Hope this helps.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Catania is the only place in years of travelling that I felt in any sort of danger. So - don't go there!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Had a great 2 week holiday based in Syracuse. Loads to do and see on the east side of the island. I think Sicily has more world heritage sites than anywhere

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
We went to Sicily in April, we loved Palermo and stayed there for 3 nights at a lovely boutique hotel in the city centre: https://www.palazzonatoli.com/

I would recommend doing a food tour, the one that we went on was: street-food-tours-in-palermo

These are led by a Palermo local and give you a good orientation for the city, what foods the locals eat and where to go to experience them.

The old city centre is really interesting and walkable, there is also the harbour area which looked like it had recently been redeveloped and then another part called Mondello where there is a really nice beach. I think you could spend 4/5 nights there if you were to visit different parts of the city.

I investigated public transport and there is a train that runs to the main parts of the Island but it seemed complicated to get to some more of the smaller places, taxis are also pretty expensive and i think I would avoid doing too much travelling if I was there for a short break and didn't have a car.

The other alternative is to rent a car but I wouldn't personally be driving in to Palermo as it's well known for having the craziest roads and drivers. On our short trips in a taxi to and from the airport to the city centre our taxi nearly had 3 or 4 accidents and it was a hold on to your seats experience! Driving in other parts of the islands seemed OK and the roads were pretty good to be honest.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve been looking into buying a fixer up house for a 1€ in Sciliy for a project. I thought it could be quite fun.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I loved Catania. Fantastic food for a very good price. Never felt in any danger. You can go to the beach, there is the Volcano tour which we really enjoyed. Plenty of things to do.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
If you want to see more of the Island car hire is the best option. Agrigento and the valley of the temples is a must see.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know that this has appeared on NSC before, but my girlfriend and I are thinking about a holiday in Sicily next May. We're not keen on a breach holiday, and would rather visit quaint towns and marvel at stunning architecture. Any tips from NSCers that have visited Sicily recently will be more than welcome. Does Palermo offer enough for a five day break, or should we travel further afield ? Is using public transport to get around the Island viable ?
Another vote here for Sicily.
Spent a fantastic 2 weeks in Taormina.
Did the Godfather tour,
(well worth the💰) and Bar Vitelli is very welcoming.
Mt Etna and numerous vineyard tours also enjoyed.
As Mrs AR has a gluten intolerance, the hotel went above and beyond in catering for her with freshly made pasta and bread.

borat

Jul 16, 2003

A few days in Palermo is probably enough if not there for that long.

You can get the train to Cefalu which is a beautiful town by the sea (waves lap up against buildings in one part). Was used as a location for Cinema Paradiso and one of the Indian Jones films.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Another vote here for Sicily.
Spent a fantastic 2 weeks in Taormina.
Did the Godfather tour,
(well worth the💰) and Bar Vitelli is very welcoming.
Mt Etna and numerous vineyard tours also enjoyed.
As Mrs AR has a gluten intolerance, the hotel went above and beyond in catering for her with freshly made pasta and bread.
Mrs Bodian is now a very strict coeliac - the slightest bit of gluten affects her badly. We've effectively stopped going abroad, as it's quite hard to ensure a complete lack of gluten. Canada was brilliant for it - but we can read the ingredients there. Good to hear there are places as you mention.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs Bodian is now a very strict coeliac - the slightest bit of gluten affects her badly. We've effectively stopped going abroad, as it's quite hard to ensure a complete lack of gluten. Canada was brilliant for it - but we can read the ingredients there. Good to hear there are places as you mention.
A week before we left, I emailed the hotel about my my wife's requirements, re-gluten.
They replied same day and confirmed they would have no problems catering for her.
Might be an idea emailing yr hotel.

We've also used this website when abroad and in the UK.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A week before we left, I emailed the hotel about my my wife's requirements, re-gluten.
They replied same day and confirmed they would have no problems catering for her.
Might be an idea emailing yr hotel.

We've also used this website when abroad and in the UK.
Yes - getting in touch first is definitely the way. One place we stayed fed everyone gluten-free food for two days because we were there - which no-one noticed or minded! It's a funny thing - we don't actually need gluten - but it's in so much stuff.

happycow is mainly vegan. Trying to be vegan and coeliac at the same time must really be quite limiting. The few core things that are pretty much guaranteed free of gluten are unprocessed meat and eggs. And spirits!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Catania is the only place in years of travelling that I felt in any sort of danger. So - don't go there!

I loved Catania. Fantastic food for a very good price. Never felt in any danger. You can go to the beach, there is the Volcano tour which we really enjoyed. Plenty of things to do.

I loved Catania too. Only danger was too much grappa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here