Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sicily

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's a funny thing - we don't actually need gluten - but it's in so much stuff.
Similar here, as my wife's an ex chef, we mainly eat home cooked food.
Fresh ingredients from the allotment help, but only what's in season.
As you say, you wouldn't know if gluten free or not.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Been to Sicily last two years running and off again this August. Not explored the East coast so, could not comment on Etna etc, however, others who have been have been enchanted. It's a huge island and needs to be explored over a period of three to four weeks to do it justice. Go in May and you should avoid the intense heat when we go (August). So, a flavour....

Palermo is a brilliant city. It's bonkers and it's not that expensive. The markets are busy, noisy and lots of discreet mafioso activity going on. We were having a few cheap Messina's (local beer) watching the locals and one guy threw a meat clever at another for saying something out of turn. Just walk and take in the architecture such as the Quattro Canti, the Cathedral (and area), the Norman Palace, the Royal Palace, the teatro Massimo (amazing theatre and I believe the 3rd largest in Europe). It was also the last scene from the Godfather trilogy. We took in a visit to the mafia museum. Gruesome pictures your thing? Donations and no entrance fee.

Cefalu. Train from Palermo and worth an overnight. Just don't go at weekends or school holidays as the beach will be over run.

Trapani worth a visit. Head on up the cable car to the hill overlooking the town. Erice and Castle Venus. Salemi (if you want the chatty man rebuild a house experience). Further East is Sciacca old town and is stunning and the fish restaurants are amazing. On from Sciacca is Agrigento where you will find the Greek temples. The town is also worth a visit. That's as far east as we have been.

Getting around. Car is needed for the rural parts but train from Palermo airport to the city is cheap and easy.

Shout if you need anything else!

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Patient: "Doctor, Doctor, I keep thinking I'm a Mediterranean island off the southwest coast of Italy"

Doctor: "Don't be Sicily"

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
We've been several times. Taormina is fabulous and next to Etna, San Vito Lo Capo equally pretty but less historic, but my vote would be Cefalu and a couple of nights in Palermo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here