Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we take the risk and sign Gifton Noel-Williams?

Should we sign Gifton Noel-Williams now?

• Yes

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Pushing the manager out by witholding funds and then releasing them to the next manager is unethical in my book. Old fashioned maybe. Back him or sack him.

All this conjecture is probably way off beam but I personally wouldn't bother going again if it turned out that MM was manoevered out of the club in this way.

If they want to sack MM, I won't be happy but I wouldn't have a problem with accepting the boards decision.

I do agree (so another thread near the top) but it just seems a bit odd that you would say that after saying its wrong not to back the team no matter who is in charge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But financially if he can be moved out without sacking him it saves the club money. He has had his coaching staff restructured around him, that must ebb away his influence and power as well.

I understand the reasons as to why they might want to do that, and they would lose my support if they did.

Big deal eh? I'm sure they'd be really upset and worried :lol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
I understand the reasons as to why they might want to do that, and they would lose my support if they did.

Big deal eh? I'm sure they'd be really upset and worried :lol:

If I was going to predict anything I would say it will descend into a stand off between the manager and the board, as McGhee will not walk due to the year on his contract and the board if possible not wanting to pay him off. I can honestly see a QPR like situation with McGhee on gardening leave (probably meaning we do not have to pay any bonuses) and Wilkins taking charge of the first team until the end of the season and McGhee not having his contract renewed.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Thimble Keegan said:
Which they should do as they employ him. I know it was all a little up in the air following the relegation but the outcome was made to keep him on. Now this decision (however right or wrong it is) has been made and therefore they should back him.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Exactly, that's my point. They should, but do they?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
London Irish said:

let's be clear, if we don't sign GNW, it is the board settling for between 10th and 12th in the table this season.

That's just it though. I don't think Noel-Williams will play enough to make a difference to our season. If we don't sign him, then we might be able to sign someone more influential in the next window.

BHA Jordan

Dec 14, 2005
I think we should sign him as he made a difference last season and would make a big difference in the division below against some of your more (how can I say) unattractive teams who like to slug it out, and mash players up

Dandyman

In London village.
And as an alternative to GNW (if the cash is available)

Billy Sharp

Height 5.09
Weight 11.00
Date of birth 05-02-1986
Position Forward
Nationality England
Current Club:Currently playing for Scunthorpe
Signed on 16-08-2005 Fee £ 100000
Squad number 24

All time playing career

Club From To Fee League FA Cup League cup Other

Scunthorpe 16-08-2005 £ 100000 35 (2) 23 4 (0) 0 2 (0) 0 1 (1) 1
Rushden 21-01-2005 08-05-2005 Loan 16 (0) 9 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0
Sheff Utd 01-07-2004 16-08-2005 Trainee 0 (2) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

Totals £ 100000 51 (4) 32 4 (0) 0 2 (0) 0 1 (1) 1

goals / game 0.58 0 0 0.5

Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think essentially it has to be a calculated risk on how much we will pay for him in fee and wages. We do need a player like him and I have no doubt he would do a job. A lot of people are arguing that his injury problems make cause him to miss games but the flip side is if he misses games it will give the youngsters a chance and his experience will also guide them in some way. The other advantage with GNW's over Dichio, Horsfield and Shipperley is that he is still relatively young. So I think if the wages and fee are right we have to take a risk, but it is a least a risk for a player we know can do a job.

On a slight tangent I think he would be very good at helping out with the development of Gatting who is a similar hold up player. However I am a bit miffed by MM's comment that Gatting can't play with the other 3, I would have thought he would be a decent foil for them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I say YES. He'll score goals and may be just what we need in order to avoid relegation.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What about a pay as you play deal? And whats Rougier doing these days?

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Re: Re: Should we take the risk and sign Gifton Noel-Williams?

brightonfan_86 said:
Will he want to drop down a division and play in League One, I seriously doubt it. Go back to your desk and keep writing for the Guardian you boring twat.

Whereas threads on putting up dartboards are f***ing rivitting. :dunce:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto

brightonfan_86 said:
Will he want to drop down a division and play in League One, I seriously doubt it. Go back to your desk and keep writing for the Guardian you boring twat.

Why wouldn't he?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

brightonfan_86 said:
Go back to your desk and keep writing for the Guardian you boring twat.

I have an image of LI spending the afternoon writing a thought-provoking piece for The Guardian... while Kev sits drawing with his coloured crayons.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Re: Re: Re: Should we take the risk and sign Gifton Noel-Williams?

Wozza said:
I have an image of LI spending the afternoon writing a thought-provoking piece for The Guardian... while Kev sits drawing with his coloured crayons.

:lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Should we take the risk and sign Gifton Noel-Williams?

Wozza said:

Or a dot to dot.

Uncle Buck said:
If it gets rid of McGhee and we do not have to pay him off them all well and good and even better if the new man is given a budget to work with.

So let me get this straight - you are hoping that we do not sign players just to make McGhee's life more uncomfortable at the Albion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here