Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Maupay has been a fantastic buy for us, felt that way since our first game at Watford. Works so hard for team and scores such a variety of goals.

My one criticism is that he misses the easier chances. I certainly recall games where he missed sitters. If he becomes a bit more clinical he’s not far off 20 goals a season.

But that’s being harsh. For his debut in the Prem for a team where we are, 10 goals is a superb return.

Regards this topic. It’s ludicrous some people think we don’t need an additional striker. We never replaced Locadia or Andone. If Maupay gets a long term injury we’re in trouble.

The thing is with the chances he's missed, most of them have been where they've come at him from quite close range and he's had to react very quickly and then ended up miss hitting it. That is something he can work on and improve and I believe he will. The main thing is that he is in the right positions for those chances, that is harder to teach. I think you'll find next season he takes more of those.

The other big plus with Maupay is his attitude and confidence. As well as being different varieties of finish, his goals this season have been spread out over the season rather than on a streaky run or in just a handful of matches like some strikers. I don't think he'll ever get too down about missing chances or poor form as he seems to have a real inner confidence, that is going to help him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Are any of these star strikers ? And how much is the ££ you need to spend ?

Everton - Calvert - Lewin £1.5m - 15 goals
Newcastle - £40m - Joelinton - 2 goals
West Ham - Haller (up to £45m) - 7 goals
Palace top scorer - Ayew - £2.5m - 9 goals
Southampton - Ings - £18m - 22 goals
Bournemouth - Solanke - 19m - 3 goals
sheffield utd - McBurnie - £17-20m - 6 goals
Wolves - £30m - Jiminez - 20 goals
Burnley - £5m-10m - Rodriguez - 11 goals
Arsenal - £45m - Lacazette - 12 goals

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing is with the chances he's missed, most of them have been where they've come at him from quite close range and he's had to react very quickly and then ended up miss hitting it. That is something he can work on and improve and I believe he will. The main thing is that he is in the right positions for those chances, that is harder to teach. I think you'll find next season he takes more of those.

The other big plus with Maupay is his attitude and confidence. As well as being different varieties of finish, his goals this season have been spread out over the season rather than on a streaky run or in just a handful of matches like some strikers. I don't think he'll ever get too down about missing chances or poor form as he seems to have a real inner confidence, that is going to help him.
It's hard to believe anyone could have a criticism of a 23 year old strikers debut Premier League season which netted 10 goals, having cost less than £20m.
Or, if you prefer, 40% of Joelinton.

All done with a swagger and shitbagginess which has galvanized the season.

Still needs must I suppose.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

It's hard to believe anyone could have a criticism of a 23 year old strikers debut Premier League season which netted 10 goals, having cost less than £20m.
Or, if you prefer, 40% of Joelinton.

All done with a swagger and shitbagginess which has galvanized the season.

Still needs must I suppose.

Settle down petal. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

What I said:

Maupay has been a fantastic buy for us, felt that way since our first game at Watford. Works so hard for team and scores such a variety of goals.

My one criticism is that he misses the easier chances. I certainly recall games where he missed sitters. If he becomes a bit more clinical he’s not far off 20 goals a season.

But that’s being harsh. For his debut in the Prem for a team where we are, 10 goals is a superb return.

Always ready to jump in at the slightest hint of anything less than 100% positive eh?

I love Maupay (see my avatar). Second best player for us this season, and easily imo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep, just a Murray replacement. A year for them training with Glenn learning the tricks of the trade.

I’d be surprised if the club bring in any other type of striker.
GP obviously prefers pacy strikers with plenty of movement why people keep bringing up Murray replacements and Mitrovic (every window) is beyond silly.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Maupay up top with Lallana playing slightly deeper supplying the support and creating chances for him is what I’m hoping for.
I don’t see us going ‘all in’ on a big name striker.
Glenn will be used from the bench again this season but we will have to replace Glenn either in Jan or next pre season, depending on injuries etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maupay up top with Lallana playing slightly deeper supplying the support and creating chances for him is what I’m hoping for.
Glenn will be used from the bench again this season but we will have to replace Glenn either in Jan or next pre season, depending on injuries etc.

I'm invested in an Anderson (?) type player coming in.
Basically the centre forward equivalent of Ajax Joel (no I haven't learned his surname yet)

Late 20's.
Played at a high level.
Over 6' tall.
Not mobile.
Just less than £10m.

All in on Connolly, with newbie in for other options.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm invested in an Anderson (?) type player coming in.
Basically the centre forward equivalent of Ajax Joel (no I haven't learned his surname yet)

Late 20's.
Played at a high level.
Over 6' tall.
Not mobile.
Just less than £10m.

All in on Connolly, with newbie in for other options.

Let’s spend another £5m-£8m and get someone a little younger, an inch taller, more mobile with a beard and has better assist figures.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...dat-muriqi-leicester-united-spurs-3835702.amp

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
GP obviously prefers pacy strikers with plenty of movement why people keep bringing up Murray replacements and Mitrovic (every window) is beyond silly.

I think you are beyond silly if you think GP won’t look for a striker more like Murray than Maupay. You do know he managed McBurnie at Swansea? Why would he sign another striker in a similar mould to Maupay? Or Connolly for that matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

We should have ‘replaced’ the legend that is Muzza about 2 seasons ago. Why wait until Jan (when we don’t like doing business) when we have an obvious need now? Ask yourself: do you think the club are serious about top 10? If they are then they need to address this obvious squad gap right now IMHO.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We should have ‘replaced’ the legend that is Muzza about 2 seasons ago. Why wait until Jan (when we don’t like doing business) when we have an obvious need now? Ask yourself: do you think the club are serious about top 10? If they are then they need to address this obvious squad gap right now IMHO.

I don’t doubt that we have aspirations to get into the top ten... However, why did Glenn get a new 18 month contract of we weren’t going to use him?
We have players hopefully returning from loans and injury as well.

The covid issue will no doubt have an impact on spending as well.

We need to be realistic and trust the club to do what needs doing. I’m sure they get these decisions spot on as they usually do.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don’t doubt that we have aspirations to get into the top ten... However, why did Glenn get a new 18 month contract of we weren’t going to use him?
We have players hopefully returning from loans and injury as well.

The covid issue will no doubt have an impact on spending as well.

We need to be realistic and trust the club to do what needs doing. I’m sure they get these decisions spot on as they usually do.

Glen already a bit player. I love him, but he will play even less next season. The new contract was to provide cover, . May I remind you we have the grand total of two, yes 2, viable striker starters.

The club seem obsessed with signing defenders when, in truth, this is the area we need to strengthen least. So, yes, I will remain unconvinced by our recruitment unless and until they plug the obvious striker gap.

Just for balance, I am very impressed that we have landed Lallana and Veltman.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Another striker is essential. Don’t think necessarily it’s a question of signing a “ star striker” . Of course a “name” would be very exciting but it’s more that we need a different sort of player. I’m very confident we will sign one.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A Wood/Mitrovic style forward would be a bonus, and I think is what we need, strong, hold it up, lay it off for the rats to chase, also good in the air and a physical presence, so 6' minimum. the ability to shoot wouldn't go a miss.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you are beyond silly if you think GP won’t look for a striker more like Murray than Maupay. You do know he managed McBurnie at Swansea? Why would he sign another striker in a similar mould to Maupay? Or Connolly for that matter?

This. Absolutely sure that if a new striker is added, it will be more of a McBurnie type. In ÖFK Potter made sure to always have a striker like that in his squad and I think he will add one here as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
About half the price that some on here think we’d get for Dunk or White then.

Either they’re being unrealistic about the value of our CBs or you’re being unrealistic about the cost of a 10-15 goals/year striker.

Yep, we definitely need an additional striker. 10-15 goals is about the right number too. Cost? No idea.

£20m should get you 10 goals if you shop well. CBS are actually at a premium if you look at the lack of top quality across the league which is exactly why TB has invested in so many!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here