Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think people forget every PL team, maybe bar one or two, are after a star striker - it’s the holy grail! I actually think Maupay & Connelly will continue to improve, so I think someone to compliment them is more likely. A star striker is just not “the Albion way”!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Using 'going forward' marks this chap down as from HR to me.

I may be a touch oversensitive, but the expression 'going forward' almost makes me heave.:sick:
I hate it; but still, we don't want Maupay 'going backwards', I suppose.
Yes, we should try and sign another striker.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think people forget every PL team, maybe bar one or two, are after a star striker - it’s the holy grail! I actually think Maupay & Connelly will continue to improve, so I think someone to compliment them is more likely. A star striker is just not “the Albion way”!

Even if they do improve, lets say score another 3 goals apiece, we still need to find another 10-15 goals to achieve Tony's ambition and break into the top half of the table.

A 10-15 goal a season striker is gonna cost between £20m-£30m.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I may be a touch oversensitive, but the expression 'going forward' almost makes me heave.:sick:
I hate it; but still, we don't want Maupay 'going backwards', I suppose.
Yes, we should try and sign another striker.

Good blue sky thinking there matey.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I cannot believe any Brighton fan cannot spot this ****ing huge gap in our squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
tl;dr:

The GDP of a medium-sized country is the only thing standing between us and the bottom of the top half of the table.

Aug 8, 2012
Potter surely watched Swansea the other night and Watkins performance ticked every box we are looking for!!
Not sure about Mitrovic's temperament having smashed our Ben in the face recently!!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Maupay is a very decent player. If he avoids injury I think he's good for a solid 12-15 goals next year, maybe even more.

We definitely need at least one more striker in the squad, possibly two, just because we only have three. One of which is a young, developing striker and another is an ageing one. If we could get another player of similar ability to Maupay we'd be laughing. Ideally he'd be a bit bigger so could play as a target man if needed.

I love Maupay, he is brilliant.

One thing that video highlights too is just how good his left foot is, he is properly two footed.

Of his 10 goals, 5 came from his left foot, 3 headers and only 2 with his stronger right foot. That is really impressive.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

One thing that video highlights too is just how good his left foot is, he is properly two footed.

Of his 10 goals, 5 came from his left foot, 3 headers and only 2 with his stronger right foot. That is really impressive.

There's an impressive variety of finishes too for only ten goals. As you said, left foot, right foot, head but also rounding the keeper, volley's, tap ins, clever movement, drilled finishes, glancing finishes. It's the sort of well rounded goals package you'd expect from a 25 goal a season striker not someone who only got ten. With improved service and a season's experience under his belt I can't wait to see what he can do next season.

If we can get another striker of equal ability we'll be flying.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Should we sign a "star striker" or keep starting Maupay going forward?

Maupay has been a fantastic buy for us, felt that way since our first game at Watford. Works so hard for team and scores such a variety of goals.

My one criticism is that he misses the easier chances. I certainly recall games where he missed sitters. If he becomes a bit more clinical he’s not far off 20 goals a season.

But that’s being harsh. For his debut in the Prem for a team where we are, 10 goals is a superb return.

Regards this topic. It’s ludicrous some people think we don’t need an additional striker. We never replaced Locadia or Andone. If Maupay gets a long term injury we’re in trouble.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A 10-15 goal a season striker is gonna cost between £20m-£30m.

About half the price that some on here think we’d get for Dunk or White then.

Either they’re being unrealistic about the value of our CBs or you’re being unrealistic about the cost of a 10-15 goals/year striker.

Yep, we definitely need an additional striker. 10-15 goals is about the right number too. Cost? No idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Either they’re being unrealistic about the value of our CBs or you’re being unrealistic about the cost of a 10-15 goals/year striker.

Yep, we definitely need an additional striker. 10-15 goals is about the right number too. Cost? No idea.

10 goal striker Maupay cost between £15m & £20m

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Anyone thinking we don’t need another decent striker is delusional. I dread to think what state we’d be in if Maupay got injured.

Very true. Another striker has to be on the cards. Connolly still young, can't be relying on him solely if Maupay gets injured. (not even including Murray in the list of strikers for next season as much as I absolutely love him - if he does end up getting game time next season though then we've really fvcked up somewhere imo)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Very impressive first season in the Prem. Its a huge step up from the championship. He's only going to improve, too. Excited to see how he gets on next season - with better players around him too!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Using Maupay as a guide, he cost in the region of £20m and will get 10-15 goals a season. Around half the number he scored in the Championship.

To get someone with a similar record, Ollie Watkins or Mitrovic, who will get 10+ goals a season in the Premier League, it's going to cost a comparable fee. Maybe a bit more to motivate the sale.

Don't forget, only one of those players is getting promoted this season, the other will be eager to move.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We need another striker, we have been lucky with injuries so far and that won't last forever, Murray can't play for more 30 mins and Connolly isn't ready to lead the line alone. Doesn't need to be a star but does need to be someone who knows where 6he goal is.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here