Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we have had a penalty?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Should we have had a penalty?
Yes.

Unfortunately, Montoya isn't used to appealing for them. Still, VAR should have given it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bit unlike [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] not to include a poll.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having seen it a few times from different angles I’m not convinced it was a foul. So no.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also - if VAR is there, why wasn't Zaha punished for trying to kick Bissouma (?) when he was minorly fouled after around 10 minutes? Did VAR even look at it - as it was clear to me watching that it happened, so surely they should have reviewed it? If Tomer got a retrospective ban for alleged 'stamping', then will Zaha's petulance be looked out now? No- probably not.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Carragher got it right on Sky for me, VAR is supposed to encourage players to not go down easily looking for it (which Montoya didn't do) because it can go back and check, so was surprised it wasn't given.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just don't see the point of VAR. Its every bit as inconsistent as the officials who were making the decisions before it ever got introduced - so what are we actually gaining ?

Last nights non-penalty decision was yet another farce. You could perhaps forgive Pawson for not awarding it - he gets one look at full speed, and he has to be sure to award it. But what possible excuse does the VAR official have for not giving it ? He's looking at it from 6 angles in super slo-mo, its a cast-iron pen.

There's contact. Riedewald was nowehere NEAR the ball, and clearly clipped Montoya. The fact he managed to get a shot away as he fell is neither here nor there. The fact he didn't make much of an appeal is neither here nor there. That was a foul and a straightforward mandatory penalty decision. And yet...

I think we should either be allowed to hear the VAR and the ref discussing the incident as they pick over it, or the VAR should be made to justify his decision after the game, so we know EXACTLY what he was thinking and why he didn't believe it was a pen. Then perhaps we'd at least have a chance of learning what the fvck is going on with this. This blanket of silence is pathetic.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Carragher got it right on Sky for me, VAR is supposed to encourage players to not go down easily looking for it (which Montoya didn't do) because it can go back and check, so was surprised it wasn't given.

Yes. The way it's being used is encouraging players to exaggerate contact and at times dive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes we should. Can only assume the official thought he was already falling. Even then, the clip would have impeded Montoya's ability to strike the ball.

I actually think that had he appealed it would have affected the decision.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is the main issue with VAR for me , is the inconsistency.

Irrespective of who you support, looking at that decision that went against us...how I have no idea as he was clipped as he was trying to get a shot off....to the one that Collony ( sp? ) was given when Keane stood on him not even knowing he was there in our favour...it is totally subjective , even with technology. Therefore leave it to the ref on the field.

As for this “ his left nipple was in front of the defenders right bollock” type decisions is just rediculous

Time to bin VAR and get back to just goal line technology and leave the linos to do their jobs...rightly or wrongly...

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Is there any reason why it wouldn’t be a penalty? It just shows how ridiculous VAR is. The ref would have given it if he’d seen a replay.
You can argue against the ref but whatever VAR decides thats it, we could well have had a couple of penaltys awarded against us for extreme gripping and shirt pulling in the area, you win some etc,etc

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh and Benteke elbowing Dunk.

What year were the rules changed to turn that from a red card to a yellow card offence?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes it was, however I will deal with it as we got lucky against Everton. I know with VAR thats not the point but its done now.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Having seen it a few times from different angles I’m not convinced it was a foul. So no.

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Didn't think it was when it happened and even after replays. He tripped over the grass and was going down anyway. Wish it had been given tho'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's sadly the main takeaway from this. Honesty doesn't pay. Zaha got Propper booked by simply bundling into him after he'd lost the ball.

Can anyone explain how Zaha didn't get a card for kicking out at Bissouma?

Would have been a red if it was a World Cup game in 1998!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thought the VAR decision where Connolly got the penalty against Everton was ridiculous. (the league later came out and confirmed that was an error)

I thought this decision was ridiculous. (I expect this one to also be highlighted as an error)

So, now that it is not even making correct decisions, what EXACTLY can VAR fans actually point to as a benefit of it?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oh and Benteke elbowing Dunk.

What year were the rules changed to turn that from a red card to a yellow card offence?

yeah , that one got me too. It was either an accidental elbow and nothing or it was a free kick and a red.

How the hell is that a yellow if the ref is saying its deliberate.

maybe its changed as think it was Alan Smith saying it wasnt a red card incident

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here