Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have a "Bassford Stand" at Falmer?

Should we have "The Bassford Stand" at Falmer

• YES - it would be a fitting tribute

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • NO - he wouldn't want us to

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • NO - we must sell the naming rights to all stands. We need the cash

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • I don't understand.

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am sure Ed would be embarrassed by all this but he is an Albion hero.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Gritt23 said:
where would you find an Ed Bassford.

I've often pondered this - hell, if I knew where to find more Ed Bassfords I'd get my order for ten lifesize replicas in right away.

I reckon you'd find them in holes around Devils Dyke and The Downs, rather like Tolkien's description of hobbits. This became particularly clear to me when I saw the classic picture of Ed walking his dog on the Seagulls Party fliers. And this

sb03_010.sized.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
brightonfan_86 said:
I don't think we should have a stand named after him, but maybe a statue of him out the front?
I've already done one of him at home. What do you think? I don't mind if it gets used at Falmer.
julian.jpg

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Robert Eaton?

It was absolutely tragic what happened to him but a stand?

This is where the whole stand naming thing goes into emotional overdrive.

Matthew Harding at Chelsea and Jimmy Seed at Charlton - heroes for their respective clubs.

If we do have stand names they must be of absolute club legends: Dick Knight, Peter Ward, Charlie Webb.

As Benny said; 'most fans have gone beyond the call of duty'.

Let's keep it to club legends and have some form of statue/bar/bit grass/brick wall to honour the fantastic effort of the fans.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Robert Eaton is a symbol of the solidarity of Albion fans and what can be achieved from tragedy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Soul Finger said:
Robert Eaton?

It was absolutely tragic what happened to him but a stand?

This is where the whole stand naming thing goes into emotional overdrive.

Matthew Harding at Chelsea and Jimmy Seed at Charlton - heroes for their respective clubs.

If we do have stand names they must be of absolute club legends: Dick Knight, Peter Ward, Charlie Webb.

As Benny said; 'most fans have gone beyond the call of duty'.

Let's keep it to club legends and have some form of statue/bar/bit grass/brick wall to honour the fantastic effort of the fans.

I agree with this. I don't want to knock what Ed (and Paul and others) have done but surely stands should be named for real Albion heroes.

Charlie Webb and Peter Ward are the obvious examples but I think Dick Knight deserves something too.

I reckon we'll have to sell naming rights to the stadium but please let us call our stands after our own.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gwylan said:
I agree with this. I don't want to knock what Ed (and Paul and others) have done but surely stands should be named for real Albion heroes.

Charlie Webb and Peter Ward are the obvious examples but I think Dick Knight deserves something too.

I reckon we'll have to sell naming rights to the stadium but please let us call our stands after our own.

I guess that comes down to what you consider heroes. Personally, a hero for me shouldn't be someone who is doing what they are paid for.

Peter Ward / Bobby Zamora tec, were fantastic players, superb, their performances were stuff of legend, but at the endof the day they were doing what they were paid to do.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Uncle Spielberg said:
I am sure Ed would be embarrassed by all this but he is an Albion hero.

I do tend to agree.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gritt23 said:
I guess that comes down to what you consider heroes. Personally, a hero for me shouldn't be someone who is doing what they are paid for.

Peter Ward / Bobby Zamora tec, were fantastic players, superb, their performances were stuff of legend, but at the endof the day they were doing what they were paid to do.

That's true but Wardy has been a vocal supporter of Brighton and Falmer long after he retired. He flew all the way from the US to support our demo last year as well as coming back on other occasions. He's gone well beyond what you'd expect from a paid employee.

I didn't mention Zamora; good player as he was, I don't think he deserves a stand. Charlie Webb does though for being such a loyal servant of the club for so long.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Gwylan said:
That's true but Wardy has been a vocal supporter of Brighton and Falmer long after he retired. He flew all the way from the US to support our demo last year as well as coming back on other occasions. He's gone well beyond what you'd expect from a paid employee.

I didn't mention Zamora; good player as he was, I don't think he deserves a stand. Charlie Webb does though for being such a loyal servant of the club for so long.
So Mayo should get a stand having been here so long as well. ???

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
brightonfan_86 said:
I don't think we should have a stand named after him, but maybe a statue of him out the front?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I think we should all grow an honorary beard and don a white wig in his honour the day we play our first game at Falmet on teh 17th September 2016

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Woodchip said:
So Mayo should get a stand having been here so long as well. ???

Of course not: he'd only have been at the Albion about a dozen years (if he's still there).

If Mayo served for 40 years as player, manager and administrator then, yes, we could look at naming a stand after him in 2050.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here