Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should they stay or should they go now?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
At present we have about 30 players who have featured this season and might be described as being in the mix for a first team place. Gus said at the start of the campaign he wanted a squad of about 23.

Logic says that some should go to make way for the six or seven new signings that Gus has planned for next season. So, whether released or offers accepted, who would you let go from the current squad?

Or to make it a little easier, who do you think will still be here for the first game at the Amex in August?

I've underlined the players who I think will still be here and I have it down to 18 to start the new season

KEEPERS

Ankergren
Brezovan
Walker
Poke

FULL BACKS

Calderon
Painter
McNulty
Cook
Taricco (as a player)

CENTRE BACKS

Greer
elAbd
Elphick
Dunk

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Kishishev
Navarro
Bridcutt
Sparrow
Dicker
Battipiedi
Caskey

WINGERS

Noone
Bennett
Baz
Jamie Smith

STRIKERS

Murray
Barnes
Wood (loan)
Agdestein
Hart
Sandaza

From what we know/have heard I would add LuaLua and Hoskins to that squad. Beyond that.............a keeper, two full backs and some quality in midfield?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Navarro will be here next year providing he can prove his fitness

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would keep:

KEEPERS

Ankergren
Walker

FULL BACKS

Calderon
Painter
McNulty

CENTRE BACKS

Greer
El Abd
Elphick
Dunk

MIDFIELD

Bridcutt
Dicker
Caskey
Noone
Bennett

STRIKERS

Murray
Barnes

Although Walker and Caskey won't really feature in the first team. I think we could be surprised at the high turnover of players come the summer.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Davies we sold but you're right, Tunny is out on loan.

He was out of favour for a while but has been featuring regularly for the Gas since Campbell took over so maybe they will want to keep him? Really can't see him staying with us tbh

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
At present we have about 30 players who have featured this season and might be described as being in the mix for a first team place. Gus said at the start of the campaign he wanted a squad of about 23.

Logic says that some should go to make way for the six or seven new signings that Gus has planned for next season. So, whether released or offers accepted, who would you let go from the current squad?

Or to make it a little easier, who do you think will still be here for the first game at the Amex in August?

I've underlined the players who I think will still be here and I have it down to 18 to start the new season

KEEPERS

Ankergren
Brezovan
Walker
Poke

FULL BACKS

Calderon
Painter
McNulty
Cook
Taricco (as a player)

CENTRE BACKS

Greer
elAbd
Elphick
Dunk

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Kishishev
Navarro
Bridcutt
Sparrow
Dicker
Battipiedi
Caskey

WINGERS

Noone
Bennett
Baz
Jamie Smith

STRIKERS

Murray
Barnes
Wood (loan)
Agdestein
Hart
Sandaza

From what we know/have heard I would add LuaLua and Hoskins to that squad. Beyond that.............a keeper, two full backs and some quality in midfield?

Agree with that, apart from Murray, I think he will be gone (Gus doesn't seem to be sending feel good vibes out about the contract negotiations).

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

KEEPERS

Ankergren
Brezovan
Walker
Poke

FULL BACKS

Calderon
Painter
McNulty
Cook
Taricco (as a player)

CENTRE BACKS

Greer
elAbd
Elphick
Dunk

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Kishishev
Navarro
Bridcutt
Sparrow
Dicker
Battipiedi
Caskey

WINGERS

Noone
Bennett
Baz
Jamie Smith

STRIKERS

Murray
Barnes
Wood (loan)
Agdestein
Hart
Sandaza

Only differences for me would be that I think we'll lose Ankergren, Dicker and Kish but keep Navarro and Jamie Smith

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Possibly the most contentious one is Elphick. My guess is that this will come down to what he wants as much as what Gus wants. He's a good player to have in reserve, but Tommy must know that he will once again be 3rd choice at best, and with the emergence of Dunk, possibly 4th choice. Sadly, I think Tommy will ask for a move in order to play 1st team football, and Gus, rightly, will not stand in his way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think we will keep

Ankergren
+ Signing
+Canadian who played for the reserves. Cant remember his name. to replace Walker.

Painter
Calderon
Greer
El Abd
Dunk
Elphick (think he will feature more next season)
Noone
Navarro
Bridcutt
Murray
Barnes
Adgestein

I think we will release or sell Kishishev, Dicker, Sandaza,Holroyd, Tunnicliffe, McNulty, Brezovan, Walker, Smith and Bennett will go to Norwich.

We will sign a striker, cover full back, central midfielder, goalkeeper, wing replacement for Bennett. plus a young striker on season loan possibly Wood or similar.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Possibly the most contentious one is Elphick. My guess is that this will come down to what he wants as much as what Gus wants. He's a good player to have in reserve, but Tommy must know that he will once again be 3rd choice at best, and with the emergence of Dunk, possibly 4th choice. Sadly, I think Tommy will ask for a move in order to play 1st team football, and Gus, rightly, will not stand in his way.

that was my thinking too.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Agree with that. Could see him going to Leyton Orient or something

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Hoskins in and Wood back to West Brom. Elphick to Orient. Think Bennett will go for a decent sum that may prise Lua Lua out of Newcastle too.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd keep:

Ankergren
Walker
Painter
Calderon
Sparrow
Dicker
Bridcutt
Dicker
Navarro
Caskey
Noone
Bennett
Murray
Barnes
Adgestein

Add in Lua Lua(please!), Wood(on season loan) and Hoskins(I assume...). We'd then need another goalkeeper and one or two fullbacks. Am I right in thinking that originally PAinter was a centre back? If so, if we get a quality left back in, I think we might see Dunk or Elphick going out on loan and Painter playing as c.b cover and/or l.b(cover or first choice). If we can't get a decent l.b, then McNulty would presumably stay. In midfield, it might be worth keeping Kish as back up, assuming that he's not on too much. I would definitely keep him if we are unable to get a centre midfielder who is better than what we already have.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
I think we will release or sell Kishishev, Dicker, Sandaza,Holroyd, Tunnicliffe, McNulty, Brezovan, Walker, Smith and Bennett will go to Norwich.

We will sign a striker, cover full back, central midfielder, goalkeeper, wing replacement for Bennett. plus a young striker on season loan possibly Wood or similar.

I'm not sure Norwich will still be as interested in Bennett if they get promoted. They already have a good set of players there, and if anything will want to bulk it up with Premiership experience. Also they are more likely to look into signing a loanee or two (Lansbury perhaps).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
all this talk about retaining Kish, I thought I read somewhere he was hanging his boots up at the end of this season :shrug:

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
all this talk about retaining Kish, I thought I read somewhere he was hanging his boots up at the end of this season :shrug:

He's said recently he's open to the idea of playing one more season. I think the season he/we have had plus the prospect of Championship football is enticing him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here