Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should they stay or should they go now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think we will keep

+Canadian who played for the reserves. Cant remember his name. to replace Walker.

Tyson Farago ?

Thats the man who apparently received good reviews and I am not sure that Gus/Godden are over impressed with Walker as a future prospect. So we may sign another keeper to compete with Ankergren for the No 1 jersey and Farago as the no 3.

As regards Kish he said if he was at any other club he would retire but he feels that the way we play would enable him to play another season if they offered it to him.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
all this talk about retaining Kish, I thought I read somewhere he was hanging his boots up at the end of this season :shrug:

He said he would retire if we didn't offer him another deal - he doesn't want to play anywhere else and would look to move into coaching.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
At present we have about 30 players who have featured this season and might be described as being in the mix for a first team place. Gus said at the start of the campaign he wanted a squad of about 23.

Logic says that some should go to make way for the six or seven new signings that Gus has planned for next season. So, whether released or offers accepted, who would you let go from the current squad?

Or to make it a little easier, who do you think will still be here for the first game at the Amex in August?

I've underlined the players who I think will still be here and I have it down to 18 to start the new season

KEEPERS

Ankergren
Brezovan
Walker
Poke

FULL BACKS

Calderon
Painter
McNulty
Cook
Taricco (as a player)

CENTRE BACKS

Greer
elAbd
Elphick
Dunk

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Kishishev
Navarro
Bridcutt
Sparrow
Dicker
Battipiedi
Caskey

WINGERS

Noone
Bennett
Baz
Jamie Smith

STRIKERS

Murray
Barnes
Wood (loan)
Agdestein
Hart
Sandaza

From what we know/have heard I would add LuaLua and Hoskins to that squad. Beyond that.............a keeper, two full backs and some quality in midfield?

Would largely agree with that but think Gus may want to hang on to Navarro, and might give McNulty a short-term deal to prove himself once fit as possible left back cover.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
all this talk about retaining Kish, I thought I read somewhere he was hanging his boots up at the end of this season :shrug:
He said that but then he also said recently that he might stay on another year if we offer it. I, and I think most people, could see him staying and playing a role a bit like Taricco has this season.

I'd say keep one of the senior keepers and Walker, but I think we need a new number one.

Would like to keep all the defenders we currently have (including Tanno) but I think McNulty will probably go as Gus has made up his mind on him, and Elphick may want more regualr games - although I think he might stay to start with at least being a local lad, with the new stadium and Championship football.

Midfield - we need to get Bridcutt and Dicker signed up. Clearly would love to see LuaLua back. I like Smith but I'm not sure how much of a role he'll have to play, with Caskey coming through as well. Navarro and Kish, I think we only need one of them assuming we keep the others, as harsh as that would be.

Murray is essential, I wouldn't mind seeing one of Wood or Sandaza kept but they'd hopefully be fourth choice with another top striker coming in.

I don't agree with what some say about us needing a lot of strengthening if we go up, I'd be happy with three high quality signings rather than seven or eight new squad players.

New Signing, Ankergren, Walker
Calderon, Taricco, Greer, El-Abd, Elphick, Dunk, Painter, McNulty
Bennett, Smith, Dicker, Bridcutt, Sparrow, Navarro, Noone, LuaLua
Murray, Hoskins/a.n other, Barnes, Wood

:drool:

Of course that's assuming everyone we want to keep stays. If Norwich go up and still want Bennett then he'll be off (and I would wish him well), Murray, Dicker and Bridcutt could all go, they probably won't all go but I would hate to lose any of them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
He's said recently he's open to the idea of playing one more season. I think the season he/we have had plus the prospect of Championship football is enticing him.

As regards Kish he said if he was at any other club he would retire but he feels that the way we play would enable him to play another season if they offered it to him.

He said he would retire if we didn't offer him another deal - he doesn't want to play anywhere else and would look to move into coaching.

He said that but then he also said recently that he might stay on another year if we offer it. I, and I think most people, could see him staying and playing a role a bit like Taricco has this season.

Enough already :laugh:

Last edited:

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Here's my current selection
KEEPERS
Ankergren
Brezovan

FULL BACKS
Calderon
Painter

CENTRE BACKS
Greer
elAbd
Elphick
Dunk

CENTRAL MIDFIELD
Navarro
Bridcutt
Sparrow
Dicker
Caskey

WINGERS
Noone
Bennett
Jamie Smith

STRIKERS
Murray
Barnes
Agdestein
Wood

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't think sparrow has it in him anymore for championship football,also don't think kish will have the legs:wink:

I wouldn't be surprised if gus has a good clear-out although most players deserve a chance i guess:rolleyes:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't think Sparrow has it in him anymore............................... most players deserve a chance i guess:rolleyes:

That is where I struggle.

I would love to see them all be given a chance but realistically I'm delighted that Gus is likely to be much more professional and quite possibly ruthless with the decisions that need to be made.

Sparrow is one who I have found to be a real enigma. He perfectly meets Gus' criterion of offering something that no-one else does in that he is the only one of our midfielders who consistently gets ahead of the ball. However, injuries and poor form seem to have blighted his season after a more than promising start at Swindon. Can he pick it up again or should we put him up for sale (I think he has another year on his contract)? Really can't make my mind up but thankfully I don't have to :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think we will keep

Ankergren
+ Signing
+Canadian who played for the reserves. Cant remember his name. to replace Walker.

Painter
Calderon
Greer
El Abd
Dunk
Elphick (think he will feature more next season)
Noone
Navarro
Bridcutt
Murray
Barnes
Adgestein

I think we will release or sell Kishishev, Dicker, Sandaza,Holroyd, Tunnicliffe, McNulty, Brezovan, Walker, Smith and Bennett will go to Norwich.

We will sign a striker, cover full back, central midfielder, goalkeeper, wing replacement for Bennett. plus a young striker on season loan possibly Wood or similar.

Forgot Sparrow and Forster-Caskey but would include them to stay.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Elphick move on. I don't see all the games but saw us against Notts County when he replaced El Abd. On that occasion he didn't seem to fit into our style of play or be as good defensively as El Adb or Greer so i can see us getting in a new player and letting Elphick find another club. And yes i am aware of the dangers of writing someone off based on one performance. So to be clear I'm not making any opmplete Badger statements saying there's no chance he'll adjust at a higher level, just on the evidence that night he looked definite 3rd choice.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Well put it this way - for argument's sake let's say Gus isn't going to re-sign any on the out of contract players, and both Kish & Taricco retire. That leaves our squad as:

Goalkeeper - Ankergren, Brezovan (I think he has another year??), Poke (ditto??).
Full backs - Calderon, Painter, McNulty
Centre backs - Greer, El-Abd, Elphick, Dunk, Tunnicliffe.
Defensive mid - N/A
Wingers - Bennett, Noone.
Attacking mid - Sparrow, Caskey.
Strikers - Barnes, Holroyd.

From those left, you can assume Holroyd is all but gone, ditto Poke and Tunnicliffe. That leaves 14 senior players, without taking into account the contentious "will they stay or go" players like Brezovan and Elphick. If Gus is talking about bringing in 6 or 7 players in the summer that would still only give us a squad size of 20/21, some way short of the 23 he has publically spoken about for League 1, perhaps more likely to be 24/5 for the Championship. So we can safely assume that the "in-contract 12" (discounting Brez & Elf) will be joined by 6 or 7 new signings, and AT LEAST 6 of this 'expiring/in-doubt' crop:

Walker, Brezovan, Cook, Elphick, Dicker, Bridcutt, Navarro, Battipiedi, Baz, Smith, Hart, Murray, Sandaza and Agdestein.

From that, you have to say-
  • Walker has potential, Brez is capable but has shown weaknesses even in cup games this season - on the fence for both of them.
  • Elphick is a more than capable centre back at Championship level but as pointed out, will he be happy to be a backup player? Cook has never really broken through and will probably go.
  • Dicker, Bridcutt & Navarro have been the three of those six midfielders most consistently in the first team frame in the last 18 months. Bridcutt the youngest and best prospect; Dicker (on his day) arguably the best player of the three at the moment, but defensively the weakest; Navarro the most consistent, but the oldest, and coming back from a serious injury. Smith (IMO) has shown enough in his brief appearances early in the season to suggest great potential, but has never really been given a look in, and likewise is injured now. Battipiedi and Baz have the juries out.
  • Hart has been a great servant but is all-but gone; Murray is our best striker but supposedly demanding too much wedge; Sandaza good as an impact sub but injury prone and yet to prove his worth as a second-tier quality player; Agdestein has banged them in for the reserves but yet to be tested competitively.

My money is on Walker, Elphick, Dicker, Bridcutt, Murray and Agdestein to be offered new deals. Murray to hold out for too much money and go on a free. Elphick to turn it down and leave for first team football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here