Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should the next Government start negotiating to join the Customs Union ?

Should the next Government start to negotiate joining the EU's Customs Union ?

• Yes they should

Votes: 115 82.7%
  • No they shouldn't

Votes: 24 17.3%

• Total voters

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I voted yes, but the EU offered us a free movement deal for 18-30yos but both the Sunak and Starmer rejected it immediately. Why would either dare to piss off the Brexity voters more?
The thing is, Brexit is a vote loser for Starmer right now. Personally I want him to be more pro-rejoin, but at the moment he needs centre-right moderates to deliver the majority he wants. For now, the status quo on Brexit isn't the main election issue.

My hope is, after a couple of years of trying to fix a wrecked economy and a bankrupt government purse, Labour decide to push the rejoin agenda again. That's my hope, at least.

I do have more faith in a Labour Government making Brexit less of a failure than this Tory one though on account of the fact that they didn't spend four years thumbing their nose at European institutions to play up to the Brexit crowd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite well?

One of my family is struggling currently due to unavailability of a medicine.

Even the extremely left wing Sky news recognizes this as a Brexit Bonus:

One Brexit bonus (for him at least) is that a former colleague of mine has created an app to, partly, deal with this issue. When you are prescribed a medication you can log on and get details of the nearest chemist, which stocks it. Whilst it doesn’t deal with the shortage, you won’t have to go visit numerous chemists trying to find it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d also like to add the issue with approving new meds, mentioned in the article above, was entirely predicted by myself and anyone else in the industry.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It seems that both Labour and Conservatives have published manifestos that independent economic bodies have agreed need significant economic growth to cover financially, growth way beyond what is currently predicted.

Very simple question, should the next Government begin negotiations to join the Customs Union to help achieve economic growth required. if you really want to discuss further there's always The Brexit Thread
Of course they should. With great haste.

Only a fool would think otherwise.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No brainer, the trade deals signed offer very little.

Time to get back to basics, trade properly with our neighbours like most countries do. Johnson's TCA was rushed and very poor, loads of red tape and non-tariff barrier

Until this happens don't expect any meaningful growth in the UK economy.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can I ask why?

Our exports to Europe are up since Brexit (because of the fall in the value of Sterling)
Could your exports be any higher?

Just thinking we need our economy to grow as much as possible as quick as possible, so anything that would result in you potentially increasing exports would be a good thing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A small observation - I've just gone to Co-op to buy some apples. Their apple offering was:

South Africa, Brazil, New Zealand OR mini-apples from Kent.

This is f*cked up on 3 levels:

1. No normal sized British apples.
2. No apples at all from our EU neighbours
3. The carbon footprint of the normal-sized apples on offer is ridiculous.

I also went to a local store to get some mussels - you'd think these would be sourced from Scotland, France or Spain but they were actually farmed from Chile.

Therefore, when people consider the Customs Union on economic grounds they should also consider it on environmental grounds too.

It's disappointing that it is only the SNP who are telling voters about the consequences of Brexit like it is. Our economy is a good 4-5% smaller, we can't afford the things we used to and there is no prospect of that changing in the next 2-3 years. We are a nation in complete denial of the self-harm we have done to ourselves.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Look at our overall trade deficit since Brexit, its not a good look
Fully get that - and as I said I voted in the poll to rejoin - but as I say there were huge pros to exporters in June 2016 with the fall in Sterling - some people fail to recognize that.

Be interesting to see what would happen to exchange rates if we were to rejoin....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Could your exports be any higher?

Just thinking we need our economy to grow as much as possible as quick as possible, so anything that would result in you potentially increasing exports would be a good thing.
Of course they could be higher - any business that says they can't improve sales is crazy.

As I've said before, I'd rather be in than out, but IMO the exchange rate(s) are more important as we've all got used to the additional work/paperwork.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A small observation - I've just gone to Co-op to buy some apples. Their apple offering was:

South Africa, Brazil, New Zealand OR mini-apples from Kent.

This is f*cked up on 3 levels:

1. No normal sized British apples.
2. No apples at all from our EU neighbours
3. The carbon footprint of the normal-sized apples on offer is ridiculous.
an observation on the observation: which hemisphere has apples in season and which does not.
the environment point is well made, we've long imported various produce from South America and elsewhere. strawberries from Morocco and Egypt always raised an eyebrow.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Can I ask why?

Our exports to Europe are up since Brexit (because of the fall in the value of Sterling)

We make organic products for D2C, and in order to export them for sale and distribution in the EU we’d need to open an EU based business with a proper office (not virtual) that can be visited and inspected by an EU based organic certification company. Previously we could have just shipped them to an EU fulfilment centre and shipped them out to customers as the orders came in under our UK organic license.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fully get that - and as I said I voted in the poll to rejoin - but as I say there were huge pros to exporters in June 2016 with the fall in Sterling - some people fail to recognize that.

Be interesting to see what would happen to exchange rates if we were to rejoin....

For exporters a devalued currency is a big plus, but unfortunately I doubt that offsets the downside of the drop in value for the rest of Britain, particularly as a net Importer. Obviously I think we need to join to get anywhere close to the economic growth that all parties are predicting and basing their manifestos on, but really wouldn't like to guess at the impact on exchange rates ???

Oh great another Brexit related thread.

I thought the title of the thread was fairly self explanatory but obviously not :shrug:.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course they could be higher - any business that says they can't improve sales is crazy.

As I've said before, I'd rather be in than out, but IMO the exchange rate(s) are more important as we've all got used to the additional work/paperwork.
What happens when the exchange rate changes? It has flat-lined under the Tories since the referendum but one would hope/expect a stronger pound under Starmer. Will we see businesses like yours struggle?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What happens when the exchange rate changes? It has flat-lined under the Tories since the referendum but one would hope/expect a stronger pound under Starmer. Will we see businesses like yours struggle?
You're right - pretty constant rates for the past 6 years.

Constant is good (y)

For exporters a lower £ against € and $ is obviously a big advantage.

Of course it could go the other way - forcing the price our overseas customer's pay upwards.

I agree that the £ will strengthen, but I can't see a huge rise.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Voted REMAIN but vote No now as I don’t know what the costs and economy chaos would be

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

In June 2016 and until we actually left I would imagine. In my brothers business, they no longer fulfill the smaller orders they used to, as the cost in time and money isn't worth it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Well, good for your business maybe, but bad for others, and everyone's costs of living.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here