Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Remember it well. You can fool some of the people some of the time.
Until a government has the courage to undertake a real root and branch reform of the NHS, funding will continue to disappear into a massive black hole of overburdening middle management and inefficiency.
Sorry to read about your mate. Been there, got the tee shirt and luckily came out the other side. Thoughts are with him.
Hopefully then you accept the message on that bus a clever but misleading suggestion by the Leave lobby..... which fooled many unsuspecting voters and likely tipped us into the awful Brexit outcome. If you do accept that, then I am sure you will understand Remainers like me feeling that our self imposed sanctions were based on lies....

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
images-2.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fact is that it was illegal as proven in the High Court in February 2019, as admitted by the government QC.
As it was only advisory, it couldn’t be annulled.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffle forced it through with lies and confidence tricks as even Farage has said it has failed.
View attachment 183888
Not a lot of people seem to know this.

People who are not really interested in politics.

People who, nevertheless, have very strong opinions.

As it is, and as it always was.

"I may have some of the facts wrong, but I am nevertheless correct".

Please, please, please, wise sensible folk, please vote. Every time you don't vote, an arsehole outvotes you.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Quick thread de-railment (sorry), and genuine question:

Context: I’ve been out of the UK since well before Brexit.

Does it look like Scotland has any realistic chance of going indie in the next 5-10 years? Asking as I would be gunning for a Scottish/EU passport in the later future if so.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Does it look like Scotland has any realistic chance of going indie in the next 5-10 years? Asking as I would be gunning for a Scottish/EU passport in the later future if so.

Unlikely. SNP in multiple crises of their own making, Labour resurgence a real possibility. SNP likely to spend a decade or so out of power after the coming election.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

While I broadly agree with @chickens, not so sure the SNP being out of power will be key for indyref2. They've been in power for 17 years and haven't secured a referendum in 10, which was -- and has to be -- granted by the PM/Westminster. They're not really pushing for one either as the polls are level and having one would be an enormous gamble. There's also the issue of their record in government and the policies they advocate versus the issue of another referendum -- the public can hate them on the former, but still get behind them on the latter.

I don't think you'll get that momentum behind indyref2 until the polls are showing a consistent 5+ point lead for it and even then a PM will need to grant it. The fact that the Tories are about to be booted out makes it even more unlikely that you'll get this sustained rise in polling support for it. In short, I suspect a Scottish/EU passport is a long way off.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I may have missed it being mentioned

But why are both the main parties avoiding this elephant in the room?

It's a cause of a great number of our issues

Tories refusing to own it?
Labour scared of losing votes?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, that pretty much sums the big 2 up on this. As one poster mentioned, if the Lib Dems become the official opposition (which is looking likelier, but probably won't happen) then they can ask about Brexit/SM/CU every week at PMQs

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Labour haven’t mentioned Brexit in entirety but have said they want to align chemistry regulations again, and a deal for touring musicIan’s.
The Single Market, and Custom’s Union are still a step too far for their red wall voters.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, that pretty much sums the big 2 up on this. As one poster mentioned, if the Lib Dems become the official opposition (which is looking likelier, but probably won't happen) then they can ask about Brexit/SM/CU every week at PMQs
I don't blame Labour for avoiding it in the first term, seems the sensible thing to do

But it feels like a missed chance given how the polls are

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't blame Labour for avoiding it in the first term, seems the sensible thing to do

But it feels like a missed chance given how the polls are
You could say that about all sorts of things, but the Ming Vase wins out.
They're in such an odd position, claiming everything's broken (which I agree with) but not committing to do much. Either they won't do much in power or, they will, and they'll be doing all sorts of things that aren't in their manifesto.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's the Elephant in every room :facepalm:

It would be interesting given what everybody now knows to see a simple 'Join the customs union ?' Yes/No poll on NSC, but it can't be done without it getting merged back into this thread losing the associated poll :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's the Elephant in every room :facepalm:

It would be interesting given what everybody now knows to see a simple 'Join the customs union ?' Yes/No poll on NSC, but it can't be done without it getting merged back into this thread losing the associated poll :shrug:
Wait till after the election, then the serious conversation MUST begin

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's interesting that even mainstream news channels are now starting to highlight how all political parties plans are totally f***ed without economic growth. Who knows, give it another few months, and a new Government and maybe they'll be brave enough to look at the actual reasons for Britain's lack of economic growth :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The LibDems have surprised me in not talking about EU re-entry or similar.

I suspect playing politics …. lots of target seats eg in the SW were big on Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here