Sponsored by Smart Office Solutions.

What's not to like? :wink:

salters lane.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
(Obviously) I think: nope.

Brighton have a squad that should end up 12-15 in the league. If the club had spent a lot of cash in the summer and January to improve and strengthen the team I would have understood calls to sack GP, however that was not the case and - as usual - the results are a consequence of a lack of quality in the squad, quite simple. Its great to have a top 10 aim but its not going to happen with the current squad regardless of manager.

Regardless if TB decides to keep Potter or sack him at the end of the season (which isnt impossible) the next transfer window is going to reveal a lot about the direction of the club. During GPs years the squad has never been as thin as it is now and for a lot of time it has been obvious that certain areas are just straight up weak quality wise compared to most PL teams. There is a fair amount of promising youngsters in the club, but if the club really wants to show some teeth 3-4 Cucurealleseque signings in various positions needs to be made in the summer or you'll have a similar story next season - with or without GP.

Thin in certain areas eg pace, goal scorers.

Ample numbers of CM/no10 technicians who very rarely score.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
(Obviously) I think: nope.

Brighton have a squad that should end up 12-15 in the league. If the club had spent a lot of cash in the summer and January to improve and strengthen the team I would have understood calls to sack GP, however that was not the case and - as usual - the results are a consequence of a lack of quality in the squad, quite simple. Its great to have a top 10 aim but its not going to happen with the current squad regardless of manager.

Regardless if TB decides to keep Potter or sack him at the end of the season (which isnt impossible) the next transfer window is going to reveal a lot about the direction of the club. During GPs years the squad has never been as thin as it is now and for a lot of time it has been obvious that certain areas are just straight up weak quality wise compared to most PL teams. There is a fair amount of promising youngsters in the club, but if the club really wants to show some teeth 3-4 Cucurealleseque signings in various positions needs to be made in the summer or you'll have a similar story next season - with or without GP.

You're supposed to be a madman, but you keep letting yourself down by talking sense. So disappointing :lolol:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I did say “unrealistically”.

What about (d) and (e)? :lolol:

My (c) would be - Very defensive types, who take any criticism of PB, the stadium design or recruitment very badly, they jump on anyone who dares not being happy-clappy 24-7 and endeavour to drown them out.

Is that not b+ :lolol:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
People, you're thinking too small.

We should demand Bloom sack himself.
Get some petro-spiv in from the eastern edge of Europe, or the Gulf, who can finally buy us a brace of 25-goal-a-year strikers and a reliable annual place in Europe.

What could possibly go wrong?

Winning isn't everything -- it's the only thing.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes. There’s a number of things they could do , probably some they don’t want to do. But I’m not exactly sure how publishing the actual bums on seats figure - which some are very annoyed they don’t - in the programme or somewhere will result in er, what exactly.

Agree there's nothing to be gained for the club by publishing the bums on seats numbers. My point is that they could fill them - or condiderably more of them - if they wanted to. Or maybe I should have said if they wanted to enough.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There is no point sacking Potter if whoever comes in isn't given more cash to spend on players.

If the internet is correct (big if!), Potter is the 4th lowest paid manger in the PL working with the 5th lowest playing budget. Arguably, Potter is doing better than he should.

Unless TB is willing to pump in even more money, people need to be more realistic in their expectations. Not great when being asked to find £545 plus for ST renewal.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree there's nothing to be gained for the club by publishing the bums on seats numbers. My point is that they could fill them - or condiderably more of them - if they wanted to. Or maybe I should have said if they wanted to enough.

My question was more what would be gained by the fans so exercised on here by the fact the club don’t publish the figure - if that were to change.

I think you also mean they have a set of rules about a few things including sharing seats (is that it ? ) that I disagree with and think contribute to non attendance. Fair play . That’s not the same as they don’t want to. enough

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My question was more what would be gained by the fans so exercised on here by the fact the club don’t publish the figure - if that were to change.

I think you also mean they have a set of rules about a few things including sharing seats (is that it ? ) that I disagree with and think contribute to non attendance. Fair play . That’s not the same as they don’t want to. enough

Yes I agree about publishing the figures! If they wanted to fill more seats, and wanted to do it enough, yes, you've spotted the most obvious way they could do it!

But they don't want a (physically) full stadium enough to do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be replaced by whom?
I refer the honourable person to the answer previously given:-

I do love these sorts of responses. I wonder how many people in March 2019 would have said definitively “Graham Potter” when asked a similar question about Hughton when many wanted him gone? I expect as a manager of a lower mid-table Championship team there’d have been much derision about his name being mentioned.

It’s also a question which cannot be answered by fans as we don’t know what ambitions the club has in terms of playing style, recruitment, what they’re looking at in terms of salaries, clauses for buying out contracts elsewhere etc. I would expect the club to have a shortlist of candidates and select the more appropriate one if for whatever reason Potter wasn’t going to continue as manager. I’m not sure what the question itself is trying to achieve other than for someone to either poopoo a name when suggested or turn round crowing “ha so there is no one!” when no name is offered in response.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes I agree about publishing the figures! If they wanted to fill more seats, and wanted to do it enough, yes, you've spotted the most obvious way they could do it!

But they don't want a (physically) full stadium enough to do it.

Ok. Well they do things I don’t like too - but if I disagree with them selling pies at £4.60! or not selling non alcoholic beer or allowing flasks or having a lift in the WSU, or moving the seats closer together - I don’t think it’s because they don’t want to fill the stadium . (As if) It’s just a whole bunch of trade offs involved in pleasing fans, running the club and not losing ££.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok. Well they do things I don’t like too - but if I disagree with them selling pies at £4.60! or not selling non alcoholic beer or allowing flasks or having a lift in the WSU, or moving the seats closer together - I don’t think it’s because they don’t want to fill the stadium . (As if) It’s just a whole bunch of trade offs involved in pleasing fans, running the club and not losing ££.

There ain't much of a trade off involving pleasing fans in that little lot!

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
You saw how they did against us at Anfield, right? Those two points they dropped may well cost them the league. And yet you think he is part of a conspiracy to keep Potter in his job, and heaping false praise on him because of this? ???

Some unbelievably ludicrous comments on this thread.

I find the extent to which people are dishonest in order that they can stick to a simple pleasing narrative (that Potter is shit, in this case) to be breathtaking.

But, still, there remain millions who are convinced they are richer and safer now we've left the EU, that Johnson is doing a brilliant job, and it would be better for everyone if Donald Trump became president again. :shrug:

No doubt you say you said here. As if dropping 2 points to us at Anfield is an irrelevance from another universe.

Didn't ask for a political lecture................

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I refer the honourable person to the answer previously given:-

So presumably given the club are all knowing - that’s their job you’re arguing - in finding managers and strikers all over Europe etc then if they think sticking with Potter and the current recruitment approach given what they know about the squad, ££ , then that’s right and you’d trust them too - yeah ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There ain't much of a trade off involving pleasing fans in that little lot!

Ha! Everyone has their list and some care a lot about sharing tickets if they can’t go or the trains or kick off times or the price of starburst. I don’t . Other things for me. (See above)
But if the club don’t budge then fine to argue they’ve made the wrong decision - it’s tough as you’ve just acknowledged- but it seems a stretch to then say they’re deliberately trying to engineer an empty stadium or if they “cared” then they would fill more seats.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't ask for a political lecture................

I apologise for baffling you with analogy.

Do you understand my comments about the football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here