Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Rooney be an automatic choice, if England get a result tonight against Sweden?

Should Rooney start against Sweden?

• Yes, there is absolutely no doubt we'll win the Euro's when he's in the team

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • No bloody way!

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Bring him on as a sub in the final game, and see how he does

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Don't give a toss!

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rooney Welbeck and Young can be superb together, give them that chance for the first 60mins, with Walcott starting on the right. Don't need the defensive Milner against Ukraine.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Rooney Welbeck and Young can be superb together, give them that chance for the first 60mins, with Walcott starting on the right. Don't need the defensive Milner against Ukraine.

very good shout..........do you think the Portugese would lend us Nani as well...??

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We win and score more often when he doesn't play. QUOTE]

Do you have any stats to back up that bold statement?

As for Rooney, he's proven to be pretty odious but he remains our best outfield player and therefore should be a shoe in. Especially as Young and Milner have been pretty ineffective when going forward although of course Milner has had more defensive duties than Young.

D

Deleted member 22389

I can't just see it now. Ukraine wind him up, he loses his cool and gets sent off. Beckham part 2. Leave the team as it is. The system is working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think Roy has done very well to get us so organised and get the hunger back in the side. Rooney for me is the missing piece in that jigsaw and whilst not the most pleasant person off the pitch is one of our best players on it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So far the team has improved on the last tournament, so hopefully Rooney will to, because in SA he was appalling. We really don't have any strength in depth though so I think he has to play.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
get gerrard out, and stick rooney in the middle of the park supported by bodyguard parker - rooney has amazing workrate and can get forward to support our pretty decent forwards.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
get gerrard out, and stick rooney in the middle of the park supported by bodyguard parker - rooney has amazing workrate and can get forward to support our pretty decent forwards.

Did you watch the Sweden game?! This England team is being built around Gerrard-Parker in midfield. Rooney in front of them is the next step.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rooney has to start no matter what, needs some game time for the next round

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ah well, there ends the will he/won't he discussion. Just been on SSN, Roy Hodgson has confirmed Rooney will start against Ukraine.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you have any stats to back up that bold statement?

Stats show England are better off without Wayne Rooney |Euro 2012 | The Sun |Sport|Football|Euro 2012

"Since Rooney made his international debut in 2003 ... England have won 75 per cent of their matches when the striker has been missing, compared to a 66 per cent win ratio when he has been involved."

And if you're sceptical because it is an article from the sun, I will add I have just listed every england match (according to TheFA.com - Results
). Since his debut we have won 64.22% of all matches. He has played in 74 of those matches. Our win percentage in the matches he didn't play is 70.27%, (his england win record is 61%)

EDIT: I've gone through the results more thoroughly and:

In all games:

With Rooney
Win 45 (60.81%)
Draw 16 (21.62%)
lose 13 (17.57%)
goals per game 1.93

without rooney
Win 26 (70.27%)
Draw 5 (13.51%)
lose 6 (16.22%)
goals per game 2.08

In competitive games only:

With Rooney
Win 31 (65.96%)
Draw 10 (2.28%)
lose 6 (12.77%)
goals per game 2.04

without rooney
Win 10 (71.43%)
Draw 3 (21.43%)
lose 1 (7.14%)
goals per game 2.29

(games that went to penalty shoot outs are recorded as draws)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here