Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Rooney be an automatic choice, if England get a result tonight against Sweden?

Should Rooney start against Sweden?

• Yes, there is absolutely no doubt we'll win the Euro's when he's in the team

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • No bloody way!

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Bring him on as a sub in the final game, and see how he does

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Don't give a toss!

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
As per the thread title.

With this being the match that finishes off Rooney's ban, if England get a win tonight against Sweden, should Hodgson restore Rooney to the starting line-up for the final group game?

I think that Hodgson will pick him in the final game, even if we get a win against the Swede's tonight ???

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Don't think it will be based on the result but on what formation he wants to play against Ukraine. Though I can't think of one that he wouldn't fit into. Also he is supposed to be fit and raring to play. Can't see him not playing. If we'd beaten france I could see why he might, but even if we beat Sweden we will still need to get some form of result against Ukraine potentially so think he'll be an automatic pick.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Personally I can't stand the bloke, but I'll suffer him for the greater good, he has to play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We win and score more often when he doesn't play. I don't think this is because we are particularly a worse team with him, just that we rely on him. Everything is built towards him as the target, and if he has an off day, or if our opponents stop him, they pretty much stop us. And since our opposition are international class, they are better at stopping him than your average defence may be.

Should he play? I want to say it depends on the tactics. I want to say if we play as a team that happens to have Rooney in it, we may start getting better stats with him than without him. He can't be our sole outlet.

But, when we look at our other options of danny welbeck and andy caroll, I think it would be best to start rooney, regardless.

Having said that, I don't know how much difference it will make. I'm not convinced we'll get a result against Sweden given our record against them, so it may be a moot point.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No-one should be an automatic choice, but it's hard to see anyone doing enough to justify keeping Rooney out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think he will be raring to show how good he is but I would bring him on as a sub and then let him loose on either Spain or their group runners up in the next game..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
an I just vote for yes and not the 'there is absolutely no doubt we'll win the Euro's when he's in the team'
bit pls - what was wrong with yes or no?!

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Carroll is playing due to Sweden being crap at defending corners and free kicks

I would start Rooney because I think him and welbeck are good together and feed well off each other

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
an I just vote for yes and not the 'there is absolutely no doubt we'll win the Euro's when he's in the team'
bit pls - what was wrong with yes or no?!

Just being a bit tongue in cheek :p

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, signs from the last 3 games suggest this is an England side who play AS A TEAM. If he can fit into that, it would improve our attacking ability massively.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I must say I posed myself this question before the comp started. However it appears that Hodgson is changing his team based upon the opposition and also given that Rooney would walk into most teams in the comp you have to play the guy. Like him or not he is a pretty special player.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Yes. He is by far the most talented player in the squad (even though some of his performances don't seem it), and when you need that one moment of brilliance, he is the player who can deliver it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here