Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Perry go to?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Amid all the DELIGHT and EUPHORIA there have been some issues highlighted with the Falmer project.

i.e. there was NO funding in place and we have been bailed out by Tony Bloom.

Is it time for Martin Perry to step down and take up a similar position to Dick (Life Vice President)?

Not sure we need both him and Ken Brown now do we?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A quite ridiculous proposition.

Martin Perry has project managed/directed the new stadium build from the very beginning, and it's a long way from being complete. We need his experience and the project needs continuity in order to be delivered.

Although I don't know, I would expect there to be very little crossover between the roles Perry and Brown fulfil, with Perry on the stadium full-time and Brown looking after all the other many matters of the football club from day to day.

And, of course, a contrary view could be that Perry has delivered funding for the stadium and at what seem to be very decent terms.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think this criticism is a little unfair as the economic circumstance have changed radically in the last 18 months and the banks are no longer lending to anyone. The main reason for rising costs and funding difficulties has been the constant delays induced by the LDC. In particular the two year delay after permission was initially granted, none of which was in the clubs control.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I seem to remember that the funding being in place was proven to the council back in October last year. Maybe this agreement for funding has been in place some while, and hasn't miraculously come about in the past 24 hrs as some people would like to believe.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Go to where?

As expressed elsewhere-you are an idiot Morris.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Who says that Bloom has only just put the money up for the stadium?

Whats to say that he wasnt one of the 'other major investors' that the club were talking about or maybe he said that he would put he money up if the banks made a u-turn?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I seem to remember that the funding being in place was proven to the council back in October last year. Maybe this agreement for funding has been in place some while, and hasn't miraculously come about in the past 24 hrs as some people would like to believe.

This is my interpretation of events too.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Totally ridiculous thread. Martin Perry is the man holding everything together. His role in many peoples eyes is more important than Dick Knight's. Whilst Dick may have faced up the club Martin was the sensible one running it and it is no coincidence that when he went full time on Falmer (18 months ago) that the club started to fall apart.

The lack of funding wasn't his fault, it was the banking crisis. They always knew Bloom was chipping in a substantial sum, although will undoubtedly be very relieved he is covering the lot now. But Perry can't be blamed for giving out the line that funding will be in place. He never once actually said that bank funding was in place. I have followed all financial comments very closely over the last couple of years and it was very clear that nothing was tied down and they never said in actual words.

Just a lot of Knight lovers couldn't see it.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Totally ridiculous thread. Martin Perry is the man holding everything together. His role in many peoples eyes is more important than Dick Knight's. Whilst Dick may have faced up the club Martin was the sensible one running it and it is no coincidence that when he went full time on Falmer (18 months ago) that the club started to fall apart.

The lack of funding wasn't his fault, it was the banking crisis. They always knew Bloom was chipping in a substantial sum, although will undoubtedly be very relieved he is covering the lot now. But Perry can't be blamed for giving out the line that funding will be in place. He never once actually said that bank funding was in place. I have followed all financial comments very closely over the last couple of years and it was very clear that nothing was tied down and they never said in actual words.

I am sure he has has somewhere along the line on more than one occasion, probably at the fans forums every season. I dont think he should go, I totally agree with everything else youve said, but Perry has egg on his face I feel after assuring fans or more than one occasion, funding was in place. Tchnically it is, and has come interest free, so his job is done!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Dick never said bank funding was in place either. In fact, their comments on the funding issue have been remarkably close. Possibly because they talk on a regular basis and keep each other appraised of what's going on.

Don't understand your swipe at Knight at all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am sure he has has somewhere along the line on more than one occasion, probably at the fans forums every season. I dont think he should go, I totally agree with everything else youve said, but Perry has egg on his face I feel after assuring fans or more than one occasion, funding was in place. Tchnically it is, and has come interest free, so his job is done!

Again, ridiculous, Brett. Are you and Richie on the same loopy juice today?

The extent of Perry's remit was never "get Falmer funding in place". Perry's job was to deliver a new stadium and until the stadium is built, and the first ball is kicked, he still has plenty of work to do.

In two years or so from now, when that first historic match kicks-off, it might be time to ask what next for Martin Perry. Not now though. Not unless you are really stupid anyway.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Let me think about this one. Should Martin Perry, who has a CV which includes involvement with the construction of several high-profile stadiums and improvements to several others, leave his position project managing ours.

Well its a real tough one, but I think I'll plump for no.

(stupid question)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Again, ridiculous, Brett. Are you and Richie on the same loopy juice today?

The extent of Perry's remit was never "get Falmer funding in place". Perry's job was to deliver a new stadium and until the stadium is built, and the first ball is kicked, he still has plenty of work to do.

In two years or so from now, when that first historic match kicks-off, it might be time to ask what next for Martin Perry. Not now though. Not unless you are really stupid anyway.

I should have put part of his job is done. I dont agree with Richie in that Perry should go at all. I meant that Perry has assured fans funding is in place on more than one occasion. He didnt say how, but now it is, so that part of his job is done. The Bloom money cannot have been what he has been telling fans was the funding for the stadium. I dont think so any way.

I know as well as you, Perry still has loads of work to do. Maybe his role will change now Bloom has taken over. Who knows?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Let's face it from day one there has been an anti-Perry suspicion based on his involvement with Blackpool. At every turn his motives have been a cause for suspicion.

On the day when uncertainty on the stadium is removed and it needs building some people are questioning whether the person who has the experience to build the thing is still required. This is because it is Martin Perry.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

The club were trying to raise funds for goodness sakes. As someone who has been involved in doing this for companies in the last few years the last thing you would do is make it public knowledge that you are struggling. They never until yesterday said that funds were signed and sealed. They have said all along they are confident, or that funding won't be a problem, but that is very different from confirming it.

Perry is delivering the stadium, and is far more valuable to the Falmer team than anyone else, and certainly more than Knight. To suggest he should go now is the mutterings of someone with very little knowledge.

Personally the man I would like to see move on is Ken Brown, the bloke is a PR disaster and if we are really pushing this club now we need some decent PR to go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here