Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Should people be off on Fridays?"

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It is not always a good option as many will fill that day off with overtime and then it becomes the norm. Not healthy in terms of work life balance.

Many years ago I was on a 3 day week 12hr day, I needed to buy a house etc and so worked 7 days a week (4days on overtime). I was totally shagged after a year but it bought me a house.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I was working 12 hour shifts - 4 on, 4 off. I LOVED that style of work, and the days off gave me plenty of flexibility in getting down to Sussex to see family or fit in a few extra classes at the gym. I've just changed role now and am working Mon-Fri 9-5, with this being my first weekend off. Can't stand it! Haven't been able to book any gym sessions for the next week as the evenings are jammed full. Grumble.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was working 12 hour shifts - 4 on, 4 off. I LOVED that style of work, and the days off gave me plenty of flexibility in getting down to Sussex to see family or fit in a few extra classes at the gym. I've just changed role now and am working Mon-Fri 9-5, with this being my first weekend off. Can't stand it! Haven't been able to book any gym sessions for the next week as the evenings are jammed full. Grumble.

Welcome to the real world for 95% of full time workers.

Gym etc having to be done in your spare time after 5 unfortunately, which leads to most people not bothering after a while.

In the UK, most employers want traditional hours, and some expect creeping after 5 to show "commitment".

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am a teacher and 4 day weeks sound good. I did a three day week this week after my 6 weeks holiday and i am stuffed. God knows how the kids feel.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I did a four day week, 9 hours a day for the last four years of my last job. Worked well for me. Personally I think it should be an option for all jobs. I actually took Fridays off for a while and then changed to Mondays because it suited the place I was working. Wasn't too fussed which day it was my self. One guy took Wednesdays off and loved the way it broke the week up. Flexible working is definitely the way forward in my view.

Yep, I take Wednesdays off. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off for ever. Long days but I can't see me working 5 days again.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
FFS extra days off? There's not enough time in the week anyway at the moment. Get on with it and knuckle down: no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

The number of hours worked wouldn't be any less FFS! Best to understand the proposal before slagging it off.

Generally, I'm not sure I could do the longer hours and be as productive, but I'd be willing to give it a try. The reduced cost, both in monetary and environmental terms, of travelling to work one day less seems good. It would only work if we didn't go out on the extra day off, though!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I work 48 - 60 hours a week,but if i had to choose a day off as many have said before,leave Fridays and go for Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here