Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Should people be off on Fridays?"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would suspect most employers would be dead against this, except in manufacturing where the 4.5 days is a tradition for the shop floor, who work 4 slightly longer Mon to Thurs.

The employers/bosses I know, even those who are making big money, are in fact expecting longer hours and possibly a bit extra a weekends, all unpaid, due to the economy giving them the upper hand at the moment. This includes the professions and white collar in construction.

Would be great if it really took off though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would suspect most employers would be dead against this, except in manufacturing where the 4.5 days is a tradition for the shop floor, who work 4 slightly longer Mon to Thurs.

The employers/bosses I know, even those who are making big money, are in fact expecting longer hours and possibly a bit extra a weekends, all unpaid, due to the economy giving them the upper hand at the moment. This includes the professions and white collar in construction.

Would be great if it really took off though.

Those employers are presumably only making big money owing to the efforts of their staff. If they started taking the piss they run the risk of losing a good work force and of it being replaced with a worse one.

D

Deleted member 2719

It would probably make me more productive, as I do tend to take a slightly more half-arsed approach to work on a Friday.

But would that attitude then shift to Thursday???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I did a four day week, 9 hours a day for the last four years of my last job. Worked well for me. Personally I think it should be an option for all jobs. I actually took Fridays off for a while and then changed to Mondays because it suited the place I was working. Wasn't too fussed which day it was my self. One guy took Wednesdays off and loved the way it broke the week up. Flexible working is definitely the way forward in my view.

In a previous job, I worked longer hours for 4 days and had Wednesdays off. It was great only working two days in succession at any time.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I did a four day week, 9 hours a day for the last four years of my last job. Worked well for me. Personally I think it should be an option for all jobs. I actually took Fridays off for a while and then changed to Mondays because it suited the place I was working. Wasn't too fussed which day it was my self. One guy took Wednesdays off and loved the way it broke the weDoek up. Flexible working is definitely the way forward in my view.

So you work 36 hours a week. Don't you overdo it now. Go and have a lie down.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Could actually be a better motivator for work, I mean. I hated 5 days, 9-5:30 Mon-Fri. The weekends didn't feel long enough, and if I had a few extra hours to do a few things, I'd be happier.

D

Deleted member 22389

People would be far more productive. Everybody deserves a long weekend. Family time is important.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Posties shouldn't be working Saturday's let alone Friday's.

We have constantly been told mail volumes are falling.
This current double dip is certainly proving the point, we are currently doing 5 days work at the most spread over 6 days.
The last couple of weeks I've worked for slightly more than 30 hours a week and been paid for 39.

D

Deleted member 2719

Posties shouldn't be working Saturday's let alone Friday's.

We have constantly been told mail volumes are falling.
This current double dip is certainly proving the point, we are currently doing 5 days work at the most spread over 6 days.
The last couple of weeks I've worked for slightly more than 30 hours a week and been paid for 39.

I wouldn't blame the double dip for the lack of post more like the hike of first and second class stamps, we went from sending probably 90% by mail to now sending 10% by mail so an 80% loss of revenue from us i am afraid, multiply that over all businesses and that was a costly move from RM.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those employers are presumably only making big money owing to the efforts of their staff. If they started taking the piss they run the risk of losing a good work force and of it being replaced with a worse one.

You are not wrong, but with the surplus labour in this job market/economy, some employers/bosses know that they hold all the cards .... for the moment.

The attitude being I'm the entrepreneur working a 5.5 day week and worrying at night about business and the takers want a 3 day weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't blame the double dip for the lack of post more like the hike of first and second class stamps, we went from sending probably 90% by mail to now sending 10% by mail so an 80% loss of revenue from us i am afraid, multiply that over all businesses and that was a costly move from RM.
In fairness most of the post is unsolicited, and this, for the moment anyway, is finally giving the impression of dropping off.

As said we've been told for 3-5 years mail volumes were dropping off, and it's not had much credibility.
Once the holiday brochures were out of the way, we've done very little work since.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
FFS extra days off? There's not enough time in the week anyway at the moment. Get on with it and knuckle down: no wonder the country is in the state it's in.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can I have the week off if I work weekends?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Personally I couldn't do it. With my commute, my day is already nearly 14 hours, home to office and back again, so i couldn't possibly extend it. Nice idea for those that could do it though - why not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here