Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
should have gone years ago, imho. Never been up to what should is damn big job on that paper, and this kind of childish pettiness is yet further proof.

And purlease, no suggestions of his trying to provoke debate or some such guff. I can't understand how come the other bloke at the argus, who writes good, interesting albion-related copy which clearly relates far more to the fans' views doesn't get the gig.

bang. On.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Why on earth do people on here feel they have the right to demand someone resign?

He has not done anything wrong, apart from disagree with some people on here.

I don't like a lot of his coverage but he is employed by Newsquest - not some public funded organisation like the BBC.

If you don't like what he writes - don't read it.

It was a tongue in cheek thread to be honest, reflecting Mr Naylor's question should John Baine resign. Though now you say this, should Naylor feel he has a greater than any Albion fan on here to ask for someone to quit?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I think Naylor was completely wrong in what he said, but don't think that it's a sacking offence.

If every journalist who wrote something you disagreed with was sacked there wouldn't many left!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Naylor has used a number articles over the last 12 years to criticise a number of supporters (even JB). The irony here is that NSC has come out strongly against him on this oen because the person he has criticised was only saying what a large number of people are thinking

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Took the liberty of editing your post Andy.. by the way... didn't know you posted on NSC!! :cool:

Why? John Baine is employed by the club err.. he doesn't get paid. He is not employed for his impartiality correct, he's not employed at all, he is employed no he's not to tow the party line no he's not. If he doesn't like the party line, then he should quit no he shouldn't and voice his opinions away from the club. He can't have it both ways yes he can. Naylor is right no he isn't

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Naylor has used a number articles over the last 12 years to criticise a number of supporters (even JB). The irony here is that NSC has come out strongly against him on this oen because the person he has criticised was only saying what a large number of people are thinking

The real issue ought to be whether Attila has the right to say what he said without there being any repercussions rather than what he actually said. Does this imply then that if people disagreed with Attila's remarks, then Naylor would be considered right in calling for his resignation?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I don't think Naylor should resign and he seems to me to be a three-quarter decent reporter. So what if he gets some information from here? - this is the 21st century and listening to people on here is no different to listening to people in the pub (which is what reporters did 50 years ago). Anyone who thinks John Vinnicombe was some sort of Ed Murrow figure is suffering a severe case of rose-tinted nostalgia by the way.

People are far too santimonious about journalists - contstantly alleging they have a personal agenda because they dont' like what they write. The truth is that most journalists are motivated by one thing only - what makes a good story (and has some basis in fact). I couldn't give a toss if Andy Naylor's an Albion fan or not. In some ways it's better not to have an Albion fan doing the reporting as they're less likely to be partial.

The one problem I do have though is the fact that he writes both news reports and an opinion column. It blurs the lines between comment and reporting and I'd rather the two roles were split between different people.

But the underlying truth is that the Albion and the Argus need each other. The Argus has, generally, always been pro-Albion for the very good reason that many of us read the paper primarily for the football.

Anyone who doesn't like Naylor - as Walt J says - dont' buy the paper. Saying he should be replaced is ridiculous IMO.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The real issue ought to be whether Attila has the right to say what he said without there being any repercussions rather than what he actually said. Does this imply then that if people disagreed with Attila's remarks, then Naylor would be considered right in calling for his resignation?

Certainly not - it just highlights that Andy Naylor has spent a small part of his career having digs at albion fans who for whatever reason have put their head above the parapet. On this occasion the massed ranks of NSC feel he's gone too far but is that because the person who he is commenting against was voicing views that they too feel. If John had gone on the radio criticising the sacking of Jeff Wood and naylor had called for him to quit his position because of it, would people on here still feel that naylor was wrong to do so?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with Stumpy Tim. In the past I've felt people have been overly critical towards his coverage of the club, and I don't think his match reports are all that bad. However over the past 5 years, he's got progressively worse - it's quite obvious he drinks/plays golf with the likes of McGhee and Adams and some of his recent bias towards these managers has been utterly embarrassing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Should have gone YEARS ago, IMHO. Never been up to what is a damn big job on that paper, and this kind of childish pettiness is yet further proof.

And purlease, no suggestions of his trying to provoke debate or some such guff. I can't understand how come the other bloke at the Argus, who writes good, interesting Albion-related copy which clearly relates far more to the fans' views doesn't get the gig.

Yeah, but that's exactly what's happened though, innit?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, but that's exactly what's happened though, innit?

It is, but I don't think that was his intent. I think his intent was to undermine the criticism leveled at his friend Mickey, and attempt to make it seem like Attila was some how wrong in doing what he did as if this makes his points less valid. It masks the issues he raised and changes the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here