Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but your not getting touted for a knighthood are you .....i know , how about all the rich people who benefited from English schooling and facilities piss off over seas where they don't pay any tax back to perpetuate the system and then the whoppers in the media can start touting them all for knighthoods , peerages , OBE MBE ....go on fill yer boots .......still a no from me .

And this has what to do with LH?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
You may well be right.

But there is still nothing stopping him from computing his UK tax liability and making a voluntary contribution to the Exchequer.

The "usual suspects" were very quick to play the racism card here. If you don't agree that Hamilton shoud be knighted then you must be a racist. Yeah...of course.

I think the whole honours system is outdated and corrupt. But if we have to have it, then a pre-requisite for an honour must be that you aren't a tax exile. Support your country then your country will support you.

He already does this Rippleman. As per HMRC, he is in the top 5,000 UK taxpayers, because he pays UK tax on his UK earnings - as he rightly should.

People play the racism card, because many people are complaining about his 'tax status' and 'how much of a knob' he is, and how 'driving a car in circles is easy', when actually, they don't know anything about aany of those things. Go and look at interviews of people that have actually worked with Lewis - you'll not find anyone who does anything other than praise him. Go and watch videos of non-F1 drivers trying to drive F1 cars. Saying it's easy is like saying flying a fighter jet is easy - the jet does all the work. It's absolutely ignorant. Yes, I can drive a car, but I couldn't even stat an F1 car. Just like someone with a light aircraft pilots licence having no hope in a Eurofighter Typhoon.

People don't like his support of BLM... I mean, really? In 2020 people are still happy to challenge the principle that black lives matter? He's not support the political group, he's supporting the concept of the message. People don't like what he wears, what music he listens to, what food he eats and his support for environmentalism whilst competing in a polluting sport?

He is the most successful British driver of all time. What other sports or events have we have anyone this successful in?

It's embarrassing that so many on here are coming up with such bullshit reasons.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Be interesting to see the betting between Hamilton and Rashford for SPOTY - do you go for the one who has achieved a truly outstanding, unprecedented sporting feat in his field ? Or do you instead doff your cap towards someone who has won f-all, but transcends their sport to use their profile to achieve something so fundamental for the greater good ?

*strokes chins*

In a year of BLM it would be fitting and cover all bases if Rashford and Hamilton were announced joint winners.

If so, I believe that would make them first joint winners since Sir Lester Piggott and his horse Red Rum.

Or am I getting confused with Princess Anne?!?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
And on top of Westander's comments, Lewis isn't American, so it's not really relevant what their system is. Our system (not invented by Lewis Hamilton) has all of these loopholes and methods in place (I wonder why that is).

Lewis pays UK tax on his UK earnings. He doesn't pay UK tax on his Australian earnings... but then WHO THE HELL DOES?!

family trust....pay your accountant 5 k a year pay no tax .........PAYE pay your accountant 200 quid , pay her majesty 4 k tax .......serious question , is Lewis the patron of any charitable ventures ....??

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm disappointed that it's been suggested that me, and one or two others, are racists on this thread, because we have differing views about someone who lives in a tax haven. That's something I've never been called before, under any circumstances, for good reason, I am not a racist.

Very disappointing, and a bit strange.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm disappointed that it's been suggested that me, and one or two others, are racists on this thread, because we have differing views about someone who lives in a tax haven. That's something I've never been called before, under any circumstances, for good reason, I am not a racist.

just get used to it sausage ......it's the way forward apparently.....:moo::moo::moo::moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think it was unfair on you.

But some of the rabid anti BLM matters posters are all over this thread. Coincidence?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Except ..... many states such as Florida have very low tax rates. So not the 40% and 45% top rates here.

The wealthy have far less reason to move to a lower tax regime.

Floridians still pay Federal taxes, you realise...? US taxes are not too far different from our own for higher earners - believe it or not, the UK is a relatively low tax country.

In Florida, taxes are 36% on $1M of income and 39% on $10M.

In California, 47% on $1M and 52% on $10M.

In Sussex, 43% on $1M and 45% on $10M*

*converted to GBP at the current rate

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
family trust....pay your accountant 5 k a year pay no tax .........PAYE pay your accountant 200 quid , pay her majesty 4 k tax .......serious question , is Lewis the patron of any charitable ventures ....??

HMRC put him in the top 5,000 of all UK tax payers. I doubt you'll see many politicians in there. You sure as hell don't get there by paying £4k tax.

Lewis has his own charity, the Lewis Hamilton Foundation. He also supports several other charities, including Save the Children, UNICEF, Education Africa. Interestingly, I remember the bile he got hit with after announcing he was donatating half a million to help save Australian animals during the bushfires - because it's nothing to him, being the 13th Richest person on Forbes sporting rich list. Yet Roger Federer (5th on the rich list), joined forces with Rafa Nadal (37th) and jointly donated AUD$250k. And yet they got hardly any grief for this amazing gesture.

I suppose that might be because people think Lewis should pay more because he drives a car instead of hits balls. Or maybe, just maybe, many people are racist pricks.

Edit: I'm not saying you are. And frankly, I don't know anyone on this thread's reasons for not liking Hamilton, but none of it seems very consistent to me. I find the whole thing frustrating that we can't be proud of someone from our shores being so successful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
look i answered the question , that's my answer , you are entitled to a different answer ........guess what , you can say yes and i won't give a shit...:thumbsup:

My only point was that you incorrectly suggested Hamilton didn’t pay taxes in the UK. Like you I couldn’t give a shit whether you think he should be knighted or not, but you were making shit
up!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Lewis pays UK tax on his UK earnings. He doesn't pay UK tax on his Australian earnings... but then WHO THE HELL DOES?!

UK tax residents.[SUP](1)(2)[/SUP]

[SUP](1) [/SUP]except certain non-doms.

[SUP](2) [/SUP]with potential for credit or exemption, depending on circumstances

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lewis's drive on Sunday showed exactly why he has become undisputedly one of the best ever F1 drivers - if not the best - of all time. Immense skill, Judgement, patience and of course very very fast. One of the top 10 of my lifetime in any rate. For all the "Yeah but he's got the best car crowd" he didn't in 2018 and still managed to win against a pacier Ferrari and he sure didn't on Sunday either. He will be a genuine legend in the sport when history looks back. If Andy Murray is a Sir for his tennis prowess or Alan Sugar for knocking out Amstrads, Lewis should have one in the bank already.

Hamilton isn't everyone cup of tea but winners generally are wired differently. As well as being a lone black driver on the grid, he is also the campest male celebrity I can think of yet to come out and alluded to snidely by other drivers on occasion so he won't of had it anywhere near easy in F1 all those years he has racked up win after win with very few performance drop offs over a long career. For that, we can forgive him being chippy on rare occasions because in a rich mans elitist sport where your Dad's surname is key, he has been up against it from day 1. Incredible achievements that we won't see by another Englishman in our lifetimes in F1.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He does have his own registered charity foundation: https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/lewis-hamilton-foundation

Not sure he's a patron or not, but also pledges support to: Unicef, Education Africa, Save The Children, Great Ormond St. In 2018 he was named personality of the year by PETA by his work to save animals. Apparently this year he donated $500k for animals affected by the bush fires in Australia.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don’t care much for car racing but he is a champion and like Beefy Botham and Tanni Thompson is deserving of recognition.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There’s a definite hint of racism about this thread. His sporting achievements put him ahead of almost anyone we have ever seen in this country and people are saying he shouldn’t be knighted.

Are you John Barnes, just because people don't agree he should be knighted they are immediately racist :nono:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My opinion - put him in the same car as everybody else and see what happens, only then will people be able to truly see if he is consistently the best driver and if he is then fair enough

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My opinion - put him in the same car as everybody else and see what happens, only then will people be able to truly see if he is consistently the best driver and if he is then fair enough

He won races with McClaren and regularly beats his own team mate in an identical Mercedes car.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Why should he be knighted, hes promoted BLM that has serious issues, he had had all his success in the best possible car/ team at that time. Also his head is big enough already without making it bigger. No I dont like him, I worked for many years in motorsport including two seasons of F1. Talk to people in the sport for their impressions of the man.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here