Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There are quite a few sportsmen and women who received their knighthoods and damehoods whilst still taking part.

And personalty I disagree with that, its a relatively recent occurrence,Steve Redgrave and Chris Hoy were after their Olympic careers. My point was more that its not always racism, the attack on Brighton for sacking Hughton, was, and is still, in some quarters seen as racist simply because he was of a BAME background , rather than a footballing decision. Some are trigger happy to play the racism card, simply because the subject of discussion is BAME, which leads to a fear about saying anything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And personalty I disagree with that, its a relatively recent occurrence,Steve Redgrave and Chris Hoy were after their Olympic careers. My point was more that its not always racism, the attack on Brighton for sacking Hughton, was, and is still, in some quarters seen as racist simply because he was of a BAME background , rather than a footballing decision. Some are trigger happy to play the racism card, simply because the subject of discussion is BAME, which leads to a fear about saying anything.

A fear of saying anything? I don't think so, because recently (in the last ten years) I've noticed more racist remarks than for a decades.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some are trigger happy to play the racism card, simply because the subject of discussion is BAME, which leads to a fear about saying anything.

Agreed, Someone posted the other day they don't know what to say to describe certain people. ethical nomenclature has changed several times in my lifetime, even as a 'normal' English white kid we took the piss and had the piss taken out of each other as kids, being ginger, wearing glasses, being fat etc etc . . . . nothing racist, but we''d probably all get expelled from school now!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agreed, Someone posted the other day they don't know what to say to describe certain people. ethical nomenclature has changed several times in my lifetime, even as a 'normal' English white kid we took the piss and had the piss taken out of each other as kids, being ginger, wearing glasses, being fat etc etc . . . . nothing racist, but we''d probably all get expelled from school now!

yes and the poor darlings who have never had a harsh word said against them by their peers the will crumble and explode when they get out into the real world ......the reason racism is at the forefront of the media currently is because it suits their disruptive , divisive , manipulating agendas. i couldn't give a shit what colour you are or religion for that matter but if you are a **** then you are a **** and you can't use your colour or religion to avoid being called out as such.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Being fat, ginger and wearing glasses, I stand no chance :eek::lolol::lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
not yet ....wait till he comes back to England and pays some tax.

It may have passed you by but unless you are a millionaire he pays more tax in a year than you are likely to earn in your life. This “he doesn’t pay tax” is ill researched bollocks. Hang your head

Why the **** should he have to live in England if he doesn’t want to?

I have spent a lot of my life living abroad...because I had the opportunity and because I prefer quite a few countries to England. Take the football and my family out of the equation and I probably wouldn’t live here at all. I have also contributed far more the the system than I’m ever likely to get out of it but I’m not complaining.

Last edited:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
This

I got a record deal in my band in my mid 20's, Touring, got on MTV etc I must have been insufferable briefly I couldn't have thought much more highly of myself if I'd tried ( turned out to be a crock of shit, and very short lived but thats life! :lolol: )

oh go on - tell us who you are/were. - I'm already impressed :mad:

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Not until he’s retired. Once he leaves the sport 100%

This is it in a nutshell for me.

As far as I'm concerned he is right up there with the likes of Fangio, Senna & Schumacher, and in all likelihood the greatest driver the sport has ever seen.

But for me sportsmen/women shouldn't be knighted until they retire. It would just sound plain weird commentators having to say 'Sir Lewis Hamilton snatches pole' or 'Sir Lewis has undercut Verstappen in the pits'.

I just think a knighthood should be awarded for their contribution to a sport once they're done, not whilst they are still actively competing in their respective sports.

Just my opinion though like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is it in a nutshell for me.

As far as I'm concerned he is right up there with the likes of Fangio, Senna & Schumacher, and in all likelihood the greatest driver the sport has ever seen.

But for me sportsmen/women shouldn't be knighted until they retire. It would just sound plain weird commentators having to say 'Sir Lewis Hamilton snatches pole' or 'Sir Lewis has undercut Verstappen in the pits'.

I just think a knighthood should be awarded for their contribution to a sport once they're done, not whilst they are still actively competing in their respective sports.

Just my opinion though like.

Fair comment

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This

I got a record deal in my band in my mid 20's, Touring, got on MTV etc I must have been insufferable briefly I couldn't have thought much more highly of myself if I'd tried ( turned out to be a crock of shit, and very short lived but thats life! :lolol: )

oh go on - tell us who you are/were. - I'm already impressed :mad:

Ha ha . . . .you'll never have heard of us . . . I'm just compiling all our stuff, have a few albums worth, we only released 2 singles before it all went tits up.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
In every era, revered Brits (many knighted) live in the low/no tax territories of Florida or The Bahamas, Monaco or Switzerland. To name just a few: Connery, Roger Moore, Jackie Stewart, Coulthard, Button, Phil Collins, Faldo, Poulter, Mansell.

But I’ve only ever seen Hamilton criticised for this on NSC, it crops up every time.

What sets him apart from the others?

It's not what sets him apart. It's racism that sets the pricks on here (and elsewhere) apart from the rest of us.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
How are his his sword and horse riding skills ? Will the realm be safer for his appointment ?

He rides a horse faster than absolutely anyone. Some people say that's because he's got the best horse, but for me, you've still got to know what you are doing to be the best.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And resides in a tax haven to ensure he pays very little tax from his vast earnings in this country.

I think he’s an amazing F1 driver, and probably should be close to being universally regarded as the best ever, but as a role model to Britain, nah, not all the while he turns his back on this country.

He earns his income in 20 different countries. He pays UK tax on his UK earnings. HMRC themselves list him as one of the top 5,000 tax payers.

Most people in the UK work in this country, and have no idea about how earnings across a global career would work. Just because these people don't understand how it works, it doesn't make Lewis Hamilton morally questionable. Anyone non-racist who follows F1, will know he is one of the more honourable people to have graced the sport.

Some people might think he's been a bit of a knob, but I just see him as being very human, and flawed like all of us. Christ, he is practically the only black person in the industry. Can you imagine what it would be like to walk into an environment where you are the only white face? Do you not think that over a decade and a half that would not play on your mind? I think people in this situation need to be given a bit of leeway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The US tax system is exactly this, with limited exemptions for foreign-earned income and credits for double taxation. To avoid it requires relinquishing citizenship / Green Card.

Except ..... many states such as Florida have very low tax rates. So not the 40% and 45% top rates here.

The wealthy have far less reason to move to a lower tax regime.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
not yet ....wait till he comes back to England and pays some tax.

comes back ? Have you relocated to England during the lockdown. And pays tax ?

Just a little tip to make your posts appear a little better informed. Try reading a few posts that are already on a thread before posting yourself. Hope this helps :wink:

All that said, I do find your rants amusing though, even when I can't make out what you're on about. Keep it up :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It may have passed you by but unless you are a millionaire he pays more tax in a year than you are likely to earn in your life. This “he doesn’t pay tax” is ill researched bollocks. Hang your head

Why the **** should he have to live in England if he doesn’t want to?

I have spent a lot of my life living abroad...because I had the opportunity and because I prefer quite a few countries to England. Take the football and my family out of the equation and I probably wouldn’t live here at all. I have also contributed far more the the system than I’m ever likely to get out of it but I’m not complaining.

but your not getting touted for a knighthood are you .....i know , how about all the rich people who benefited from English schooling and facilities piss off over seas where they don't pay any tax back to perpetuate the system and then the whoppers in the media can start touting them all for knighthoods , peerages , OBE MBE ....go on fill yer boots .......still a no from me .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
comes back ? Have you relocated to England during the lockdown. And pays tax ?

Just a little tip to make your posts appear a little better informed. Try reading a few posts that are already on a thread before posting yourself. Hope this helps :wink:

or all that, do find your rants amusing though, keep them up :thumbsup:

oh do piss off for **** sake .

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The US tax system is exactly this, with limited exemptions for foreign-earned income and credits for double taxation. To avoid it requires relinquishing citizenship / Green Card.

And on top of Westander's comments, Lewis isn't American, so it's not really relevant what their system is. Our system (not invented by Lewis Hamilton) has all of these loopholes and methods in place (I wonder why that is).

Lewis pays UK tax on his UK earnings. He doesn't pay UK tax on his Australian earnings... but then WHO THE HELL DOES?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here