Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should IVF be offered for free on the NHS?

Should IVF be offered for free on the NHS?

• Yes, yes it should.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Johners

Jul 6, 2003
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
I think the real answer, as with many such medical procedures, is that there is no hard and fast yes or no answer, and that each case should be looked at on it's own merits.
Without going into the gory, and personal, details, my wife fell pregnant twice and each time suffered complications requiring surgery meaning that natural conception was impossible without assistance to get the sperm to the womb.
We have therefore had to undergo cycles of IVF, one of which was funded by the NHS, one of which we have funded - and I will say that the quoted £2,500 is nowhere near the final figure, as I'm sure Diffbrook would confirm, not by the time you take into account the various drugs, scans etc.
With the NHS cycle, there are very strict criteria laid down by the individual NHS Trusts which HAVE to be met, as they have only a limited amount of resources available to them for IVF treatments and do not want to use them on all and sundry.

I would add as well, that IVF is not only a tool for those who could never conceive naturally, I know personally of some cases where the couples first born child has been with the help of IVF, but subsequent children have then been conceived and born naturally, almost as if the body needed to be shown what was required before it realised what it was to do.

What I would like to finish by saying is that I don't think anyone can totally say what their views are on such subjects UNTIL such time as they themselves have had to be in the position of having to make such a decision.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think there is probably more to this case than you know. With what you've posted here, this woman doesn't qualify for IVF treatment on the NHS.

Or maybe she knows how to work the system better than you do.

She works for the NHS and presumably knows all the wrinkles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no i dont think it should be. its a difficult position, especially if you are on the infertile side of the debate. MrSheen, rasies an issue (though put very badly) that future generations might be less fertile and therefore increase costs in this area. In fact, i wouldnt surprised if theres already examples of this, it of course depends on the exact reason for the infertility.

I dont see the parallel to breaking a leg or such, because with the concept of free at the point of delivery the NHS doesnt know how the break came about. but with infertility it is becuase you have a desire to have a child, a proactive choice. But i have to agree with Simister, better than paying for obese people who cant be arsed to stop eating/do some exercise.

maybe a single course is acceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here