Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should i go to the Goldstone Retail Park with my girlfreind?

Should i got to the Goldstone Retail Park with my girlfreind?

• Yes

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Yes ( Only to set fire to the place)

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Wait outside while she goes in.

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm with Screaming J on this; not only would I never go there, I won't even go to that part of Old Shoreham Road, the memories are too painful.

My sister went to Toys R Us two Christmasses ago and was immediately apologetic about it and swore she wouldn't go again. Quite right too.

Mar 24, 2005
I loved the Goldstone as much as anybody. I went to Toys R Us (and Burger King for that matter) about 2 years after it was built and I can honestly say that I didn't feel angry at all. It's just a soulless, austere and lifeless retail park. All it did was increase my fondness for the Goldstone and made me feel lucky I had the chance to experience it when I was a kid.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Southover Street Seagull said:
MY girlfreind is coming down this weekend and wants to go to Toys R Us. Have had a big discussion with her on the phone and refuse to go on this sacred ground.
She fails to understand my reasons.
What do you lot think?

Isn't there one in Worthing? If not, why not go to Portsmouth or Bluewater. Don't go to the Archer Retail Park. I've not driven past there since it went up, and I won't until we get Falmer.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I go there now without any fuss.
It was weird at first, ithink i wouldn't go there for about three years.
I still take down my Brighton kit on the car (i guess i feel a traitor) but i always think about all the good times i had.

The terrible bogs in the north, the sense of anticipation before walking up the steps and looking out over the pitch.
The surges and the chucking beach balls around.

It was great, but i think thats gone now.
In a funny way its made the fans and the club stronger

3 promotions, 2 years away.
The away following has increased and we have a good board who will never sell us down that river again.
I myself, like to look forward and not back.

Even if we were still there now, everyone would be moaning about how crap it is and how we need a new ground.
The north would have about 2 thousand seats in it, the east would be the same as withdean because we still wouldn't be allowed a roof on it, so i guess we'd only get about 7 or 8 thousand in there anyway.

Look frward people and not back, we will get Falmer and things are already on the up

As Micky would say
Keep the Faith

Cheers

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Definately not! I've got fantastic memories of the place and haven't been back since about a week after the Doncaster game when they startede ripping it down. I literally cried standing there behind a wire fence and that was when the stands were nearly all in tact.

One of my best buddies moved into a road very close by and I said I won't visit him until Falmer's granted. Only then will the Goldstone ghost be exocised properly. Actually I did go and see him a while ago but as we started to come down the old shoreham rd from Brighton, I pulled over and asked my wife to drive the remainder so I could close my eyes and not by chance see the retail park. But when we went for a drink later we walked past the church round the back of the old south stand and the memories came flooding back though again I had to close my eyes to save my memories from the sight of Toys r Us etc -the cry of "Programmes!" and the crackly tannoid playing hits from the 80's. Bloody marvellous. Shame on you Archer and Bellotti, why? You ripped the heart out of a community and put nothing back and all for greed and to line your own already rich pocket. I hope you rot in hell. I really do.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Having had kids since the Goldstone was demolished and living very near, It's quite hard to avoid. The only bit I find personally depressing is seeing loads of kids walking around in Chelsea, man U and Arsenal shirts on the site probably with no awareness of what was there once. That is the three arseholes real legacy and until we get Falmer, this will continue.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Though I understand that it is not Toys r Us's thought, the feeling of that shop or any other on the site still upsets me. I avoid it more through that then wanting to affect sales etc.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've still NEVER set foot on that place, waited outside once but thats as close as I've got. The only day I will feel bold enough to venture onto the Grave will be when/if we get a new stadium! I have nothing against the retail park, to me its like walking on someones grave...you just dont do it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they were giving things away free I wouldn't go, that's how sad and angry I still am about the ugly monstrosity that has appeared where I had some of my best ever Saturday afternoons and midweeks evenings :(

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Silent Bob said:
I don't see how going to Portsmouth could be happy solution to anything. ???

Not unless you had a loaded shotgun and a licence to shoot Chav.....then it's great!

Bring her to Portsmouth, take her to Toys R Us, then take her to Gunwharf Quays. Shopping heaven for ladies, I understand. Feed her in the "cool-ish" restaurants...

Then get up to the bowling alley, where they show football on a massive screen and they have a bar. Everyone is happy!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have never been on that land since we played Doncaster Rovers and never will until we have played a game in our new stadium.
I think any true fan that does go there have helped Archer and Bellotti. I would realy love to see that park become a buriel ground for the traders that operate there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here