Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should have waited

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I actually suspect that the final call would have been Gus's and not any weather forecaster. Whenever somebody makes the changes of the magnitude and speed that Gus has, there is always a significant element of control freak. I can't imagine any decision which effects any member of the playing squad doesn't go past him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I actually suspect that the final call would have been Gus's and not any weather forecaster. Whenever somebody makes the changes of the magnitude and speed that Gus has, there is always a significant element of control freak. I can't imagine any decision which effects any member of the playing squad doesn't go past him.

I'd suggest the manager has zero influence over Health and Safety issues. Hope not anyway.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think we scheduled the inspection for yesterday in the expectation that it would be called off. That way we have a chance of getting El Abd ready for the next league game and Sparrow should be ready and have some training sessions behind him. It will also give Kish a further few days to recover. From the preparations side it made a lot of sense to have the match postponed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've never criticised the club before, which is probably unheard of on NSC, but I really think that this is a massive cock up. People bleating about the amount of training done this week etc, how is that even slightly relevant? And how precious of you to care about people travelling from Colchester! Just like Swindon cared about us last season when we had six inches of snow and they had none. Yes, the pitch probably would cut up, but shit happens. Since when did we start postponing matches 28 hours before kickoff?

It may seem beneficial to the team now but with a cold winter ahead we could be playing four matches a week in march.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I've never criticised the club before, which is probably unheard of on NSC, but I really think that this is a massive cock up. People bleating about the amount of training done this week etc, how is that even slightly relevant? And how precious of you to care about people travelling from Colchester! Just like Swindon cared about us last season when we had six inches of snow and they had none. Yes, the pitch probably would cut up, but shit happens. Since when did we start postponing matches 28 hours before kickoff?

It may seem beneficial to the team now but with a cold winter ahead we could be playing four matches a week in march.

I expected sense from you. You surely can't expect any club to base a decision purely on a weather forecast, especially if there is 6 inches of snow & ice on the ground at the time of the decision. As someone has said, if they decided to wait & then found it unplayable, there would have been even more complaining.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I expected sense from you. You surely can't expect any club to base a decision purely on a weather forecast, especially if there is 6 inches of snow & ice on the ground at the time of the decision. As someone has said, if they decided to wait & then found it unplayable, there would have been even more complaining.

Naturally no-one has taken into account that away fans need to leave earlier but hey ho

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Once arrived at Halifax for a midweek game that was called off as I drove into their car park. I would sooner that they had acted like we have and saved me the journey. We stopped had a pint and some northern fish and chips and turned around and drove home.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which ever way the club played this they were going to get it wrong in some people's eyes. 'They should have listened to me, me, me. I told them, I bloody told them, but did they ask me? Oh no. I may know f*** all amount pitch maintenance, ground safety, transport issues or public liability, but just why oh why didn't they listen to ME?' etc.

If they'd have waited until today, (and the weather forecast had been wrong) it would have been the same people grizzling like babies that they should have called it off earlier to avoid confusion. Some people just like moaning, whining and behaving like petulant remedials for the sake of projecting their own misery. Not that anyone else really cares.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I wonder how many League One fans are saying the same things this morning. All but two games are off.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Naturally no-one has taken into account that away fans need to leave earlier but hey ho

Haven't one of our fans come all the way from Austria for this game....? If he can make it....I,m sure those from Colchester could......LOL..!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
still lumps of snow and icy 5 minutes from the ground to be honest

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If the game was still on, and Withdean was still a foot deep in snow and got called off the last minute, people would STILL be moaning.

Northampton at home a couple of years ago anyone?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Well I wouldn't envy all the supporters coming from outside Brighton & Hove getting into the city via public transport.

Nor the Colchester team getting down this morning.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If the weather forecast had got it right, this game would have been called. And was.

Last night's temperature from the forecast so many people are hanging their hats on was forecast to be 2ºC - not enough to bring about a quick enough thaw. There's people blathering on about 8ºC; that's the maximum that was forecast for around midday to 1pm today - 2 hours before kick-off. The warmer weather effectively turned up 12 hours earlier than predicted. How could the club have accommodated that mis-calculation by the Met Office?

Oh yeah, 'should have listened to me, me, me...' etc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Once arrived at Halifax for a midweek game that was called off as I drove into their car park. I would sooner that they had acted like we have and saved me the journey. We stopped had a pint and some northern fish and chips and turned around and drove home.

I was there too but the real problem was that they had a torrential downpour which started after most of us had already left Brighton. What really buggered it was the fact that the pitch had been used for a junior rugby league game two days earlier and the pitch at the Shay was already a mess thanks to season's worth of football and rugby. The most annoying thing that if we had been told a bit earlier (it was called off half and hour before kick off) we could have stopped off an Mansfield and watched them beat Cardiff which I know some did.

Colchester is obviously nowhere near as far away as Halifax but all the same I don't blame the club for being cautious.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Ever thought that was possibly so the pitches arent put out of action for weeks, which they could well be if played on tomorrow! By definition a thaw will mean its very wet/soft underfoot so the grass would cut up like hell.

Remember the Southend game the other Xmas?!

Are you putting Withdean and park football in the same category................shame on you !!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Looks around my way that there are virtually no remains of snow, and no ice either! Got very warm about 11pm last night. Not saying whether its right or wrong to call it early, but I reckon its probably pretty safe around Withdean as well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The roads and pavements are still slippery around Withdean. I'm not sure about the stands - I can't imagine that it has totally cleared down there, considering Withdean Stadium is in a natural bowl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here