Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should have waited

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hindsight is so easy the facts were a decision had to be reached at that time and it was correct (oh I have every confidence someone will not doubt have a go at the club in the "ask the club" section)

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bimey, there are some pompous planks on here. It's clear that someone made a mistake and didn't get accurate weather advice. Any one of a number of meteorologically knowledgable people on here would have been able (if asked) to advise them to wait until this morning to finalise thier decision. On the coastal strip, including Withdean the temp rose 10c as early as last evening, and then we had heavy rain. With continued mild air and rain today i'd say that the pavements, pitch and stands will be clear of snow and ice by 11am today. I'd like to know if the club will or do have meteorological advice, as i'd happily volunteer to provide it for them going forward.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bimey, there are some pompous planks on here. It's clear that someone made a mistake and didn't get accurate weather advice. Any one of a number of meteorologically knowledgable people on here would have been able (if asked) to advise them to wait until this morning to finalise thier decision. On the coastal strip, including Withdean the temp rose 10c as early as last evening, and then we had heavy rain. With continued mild air and rain today i'd say that the pavements, pitch and stands will be clear of snow and ice by 11am today. I'd like to know if the club will or do have meteorological advice, as i'd happily volunteer to provide it for them going forward.

Please do volunteer, if US did every game would be called off :lolol::lolol:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I live 1 mile from the ground (on higher ground), only a few very small patches of snow /ice remaining will certainly clear by midday.
Wrong decision - although the pitch may have cut up and that would not be good for our passing game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Personally I think it is pointless debating or criticising the decision as it has been made and more importantly will not be reversed, everyone can now go and enjoy a football free day for a change.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010

Spot on. The thread starter was just asking did the club get it wrong. Answer YES. Why the need for so many pompous pricks with rose tinted glasses to start having a go at him.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Looks like lots of people made mistakes then PL. I would write to the Premier League/FA if you are that fazed!!

Blackpool OFF Man Utd, 17:30

Npower Championship
Doncaster OFF Barnsley, 15:00
Hull OFF QPR, 15:00
Nott'm Forest OFF Bristol City, 15:00
Portsmouth OFF Burnley, 15:00
Sheff Utd OFF Reading, 15:00

Npower League One
Brentford OFF Notts County, 15:00
Brighton OFF Colchester, 15:00
Dag & Red OFF Huddersfield, 15:00
Hartlepool OFF Southampton, 15:00
Leyton Orient OFF Carlisle, 15:00
MK Dons OFF Plymouth, 15:00
Rochdale OFF Charlton, 15:00
Walsall OFF Oldham, 15:00
Yeovil OFF Peterborough, 15:00

Npower League Two
Accrington Stanley OFF Shrewsbury, 15:00
Aldershot OFF Bradford, 15:00
Bury OFF Chesterfield, 15:00
Cheltenham OFF Lincoln City, 15:00
Crewe OFF Wycombe, 15:00
Gillingham OFF Rotherham, 15:00
Hereford OFF Morecambe, 15:00
Southend OFF Macclesfield, 15:00
Torquay OFF Burton Albion, 15:00

Blue Square Premier
Darlington OFF Kidderminster, 15:00
Forest Green OFF Luton, 15:00
Hayes & Yeading OFF Rushden & D'mnds, 15:00
Histon OFF Fleetwood Town, 15:00
Kettering OFF Bath City, 15:00
Mansfield OFF Barrow, 15:00
Southport OFF Grimsby, 15:00
Wrexham OFF Crawley Town, 15:00
York OFF AFC Wimbledon, 15:00

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Personally I think it is pointless debating or criticising the decision as it has been made and more importantly will not be reversed, everyone can now go and enjoy a football free day for a change.

Enjoy a football free day?!? As a football fan most of us surely look forward to Saturday afternoon.

The biggest cook up here was clearly having the pitch inspection so early. I was a bit surprised by the quotes on the official site saying it was due to freeze last night. Mayby the game has really been called off for football reasons on Gus's say so?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Don't forget to blame Harry Lennard too

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Read the statement from the club. The pitch would be playable if there was a thaw. The decision was made because of the potential of ice in the stands but that seeems premature given that it's 8 degrees outside (as predicted by the Met Office all week). So, in our case, bad decision. Brighton is currently one of the "hotspots" on the BBC website. It's still very cold in some other places, hence all the other postponements.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
adur and chi league sunday football called of all games yesterday

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Read the statement from the club. The pitch would be playable if there was a thaw. The decision was made because of the potential of ice in the stands but that seeems premature given that it's 8 degrees outside (as predicted by the Met Office all week). So, in our case, bad decision. Brighton is currently one of the "hotspots" on the BBC website. It's still very cold in some other places, hence all the other postponements.

So people who have to get from these "other places" to Withdean dont matter, including the away fans?

Its sheet ice still around my way in Kent just now, possibly similar in Essex.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy to be wise after the event. The club were going to get flak whatever they did. I think they called it right. Looking at the state of the place yesterday you wouldn't have given it a, er, snowball's chance in hell of going ahead. Might still be like that between here and Colchester for all we know.

greengu11

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex/Surrey Border
Its a shame the game is off, but the bonus is the pub is a whole lot warmer, plus gives me and mates opportunity to discuss where to sit at the AMEX and plan stratergy to get desired allocation and location.

Oh and Good morning to all

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
adur and chi league sunday football called of all games yesterday

All county league games off as a blanket postponment too, aswell as all sunday league games off. Seems to me thats lots of leagues, officials, committees and councils have got this horribly wrong. Why call off Sunday parks games yesterday when they could have waited till today? Bloody stupid IMO.

(Oh and tell Mandy my sandwich was lovely!)

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Easy to be wise after the event. The club were going to get flak whatever they did. I think they called it right. Looking at the state of the place yesterday you wouldn't have given it a, er, snowball's chance in hell of going ahead. Might still be like that between here and Colchester for all we know.

Its not being wise after the event Tom,we wouldn't have fu*king played yet. What most people are saying is why wasnt the inspection this morning?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
All county league games off as a blanket postponment too, aswell as all sunday league games off. Seems to me thats lots of leagues, officials, committees and councils have got this horribly wrong. Why call off Sunday parks games yesterday when they could have waited till today? Bloody stupid IMO.

Ever thought that was possibly so the pitches arent put out of action for weeks, which they could well be if played on tomorrow! By definition a thaw will mean its very wet/soft underfoot so the grass would cut up like hell.

Remember the Southend game the other Xmas?!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ask yourselves this. Would you be happy in normal times if the team only had 2 light training sessions in the 5 days before a match? If not, why are you so desperate for them to play under that scenario this afternoon?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Disgraceful decision....I only commented yesterday that the forcast was due to rapidly change and they knew of that aswell.

If the temp wasnt due to rise and therefore nothing would change then thats fine, but calling a game off nearly 30 hours ahead of kickoff isnt giving it every chance is it.

They could and should have looked at the forecast and said, lets come back here at 7-8am and see what can be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here