Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
80% voting against getting an additional one or two days off?

...why?

Muslims.

There, I said it.

Make it 'Vera Lynn day' and we'd be all over it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They do here ( France).

And as it fell on a Thursday this year, most of them take a "pont" ( bridge, or extra day) as well for today, making it a four day break.

Mind you, they are lazy ******** here.

The "puente" used to be a thing here in Spain too, but since the economic crisis it's not an option for many. So it means some years you get a bunch of random Tuesdays off. Also, annoyingly, if a holiday falls on a Saturday you get nothing (unless of course you usually work Saturdays).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Like "Late Summer Bank Holiday"?
That's neutral enough for everyone. I don't think it necessarily boils down to 'Muslims' as HWT postulated. I would imagine that if the Christian bank holidays were introduced, many people would now not feel particular affinity as the expression of Christianity is rather muted in comparison to generations prior to ours.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They do here ( France).

And as it fell on a Thursday this year, most of them take a "pont" ( bridge, or extra day) as well for today, making it a four day break.

Mind you, they are lazy ******** here.

Ascension Day falls on a Thursday every year. ???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

...why?
Like it would be an additional day off. They would just move on of the others.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Or since February is a bit cold, perhaps a summer day might be a better choice. Maybe the Mayday holiday could be shifted a week later to the second Monday, often celebrated as Empire Day, and then (since the Empire is so widely associated with the ending of slavery) that day could also serve as a day to reflect on the evils of slavery and its successful abolition.
Given the Empire was one of the first proponents of and made the biggest gains from slavery it is a dreadful idea, it's almost like the Tory government making rape legal in the most recent Queens speech and then abolishing it in Autumn, but making a point of celebrating the abolishment.
:facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

...why?

The dates vary every year, if you dont work weekends and they fall on a weekend that particular year then its not an additional day off. The dates might even coincide with an existing bank holiday in this country, so again, not an additional bank holiday.
Cant imagine much excitement among non believers of that particular religion being told one of your bank holidays will be on a wednesday this year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The dates vary every year, if you dont work weekends and they fall on a weekend that particular year then its not an additional day off. The dates might even coincide with an existing bank holiday in this country, so again, not an additional bank holiday.
Cant imagine much excitement among non believers of that particular religion being told one of your bank holidays will be on a wednesday this year.

:scheletto:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Given the Empire was one of the first proponents of and made the biggest gains from slavery it is a dreadful idea, it's almost like the Tory government making rape legal in the most recent Queens speech and then abolishing it in Autumn, but making a point of celebrating the abolishment.
:facepalm:

I didn’t realize the British Empire was so short lived. Makes you wonder what the fuss was about.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Ascension Day falls on a Thursday every year. ???

My most humble apologies.

Thankfully I don't take that much interest in the ficticious belief that Christy popped up to heaven on a Thursday.

Does anybody still believe this shit...?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My most humble apologies.

Thankfully I don't take that much interest in the ficticious belief that Christy popped up to heaven on a Thursday.

Does anybody still believe this shit...?

I always thought he rose on the Monday (which is why it's called Easter Monday). If it was actually the Thursday shouldn't we all get Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off too?

I seem to recall The Lord went on a farewell tour during those days so we could create a national 'hunt the ghost' competition. I'm sure The Sun would sponsor it and offer mouthwatering prizes, like a foreign holiday. Winner!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am always up for any reason to have a day off work... however prob not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here