Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I wasn’t ‘hoping’ for any reactions.

Yesterday, a 10-year-old Muslim boy asked me why Eid was not a holiday for everyone like Christmas and Easter are. I honestly couldn’t think of a plausible reason why it shouldn’t be.

Four colleagues I discussed this issue with yesterday also thought there was no reason why it couldn’t or shouldn’t be a bank holiday.

I was interested in getting a wider opinion.

Sorry if the poll upset you. There are plenty of others for you to read. :thumbsup:

Which of the two Eid celebrations in the year would be a potential bank holiday? Both of them?
Probably best for you and your colleagues to clarify that first.

Perhaps those that voted yes can also clarify which one they meant.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I wasn’t ‘hoping’ for any reactions.

Yesterday, a 10-year-old Muslim boy asked me why Eid was not a holiday for everyone like Christmas and Easter are. I honestly couldn’t think of a plausible reason why it shouldn’t be.

Four colleagues I discussed this issue with yesterday also thought there was no reason why it couldn’t or shouldn’t be a bank holiday.

I was interested in getting a wider opinion.

Sorry if the poll upset you. There are plenty of others for you to read. :thumbsup:

Not sure why the question was difficult, the reason Eid is not a bank holiday in the U.K. (or Europe) is simply down to the fact that up until 50 years ago there were no Muslims in any numbers here.

On the go forward there is no reason it can’t be a bank holiday, advocates of it like this 10 year old and maybe your colleagues could lobby politicians to change existing bank holidays.

I can imagine it will be a vote winner.........I’m not being ironic either, go and check out Nelson’s column by way of an illustration of political support.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Which of the two Eid celebrations in the year would be a potential bank holiday? Both of them?

Classic Pasta whataboutery.

Eid just means festival or feast, but as the one that follows Ramadan is happening now, it's pretty obvious to anyone who understands context which one a ten year old would be talking about two days ago.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe people who voted yes we’re not aware there were two Eids.

I didn’t realise that, but then I didn’t vote yes.

I realise my appalling ignorance and will now indulge in some self-flagellation.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Eid just means festival or feast, but as the one that follows Ramadan is happening now, it's pretty obvious to anyone who understands context which one a ten year old would be talking about two days ago.

I’m guessing Pasta’s “whataboutery” was generated by a belief that the large majority of people who voted probably didn’t have much of a clue about Eid before this thread started, but are all experts now having Googled the subject... :)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

We had both when I worked in Singapore; Hari Raya Puasa and Hari Raya Haji. We also had Chinese New Year, Deepavali, National Day and the Buddhist celebration of Vesak Day. Local employees paid for a few extra bank holidays with a lower annual leave entitlement although expats tended to get both ! However, I usually ended up working on the various celebration days as my colleagues were too busy celebrating. The only downside for me was the usual lunch venues being closed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m guessing Pasta’s “whataboutery” was generated by a belief that the large majority of people who voted probably didn’t have much of a clue about Eid before this thread started, but are all experts now having Googled the subject... :)

Well, I must be in the minority who do know there are two and didn't vote. My kids know there are two, it's covered at school. And talking of Google you can find out what each is on the webpages of.........................................................................CBeebies.

All of which is a bit pointless, since, as I said, a basic understanding of context would give you the right festival. Ramadan has just finished and there was a big piece on the effect on the Eid celebrations in Palestine as part of the lead item on yesterday's BBC News.

But voting you say? Perhaps some won't believe me but I agree mostly with this. :wozza:

Not sure why the question was difficult, the reason Eid is not a bank holiday in the U.K. (or Europe) is simply down to the fact that up until 50 years ago there were no Muslims in any numbers here.

On the go forward there is no reason it can’t be a bank holiday, advocates of it like this 10 year old and maybe your colleagues could lobby politicians to change existing bank holidays.

I can imagine it will be a vote winner.........I’m not being ironic either, go and check out Nelson’s column by way of an illustration of political support.

Except I can't imagine it will be a vote winner. As pointed out multiple times different parts of the UK already have different public holidays so you'd need to frame any vote as to whether it was just England, all of the UK, Great Britain, everywhere but not including Yorkshire or giving an exemption to those schools who celebrate Ascension Day. And perhaps you could run it off against a popular other holiday that is only granted in certain places. For that I propose the additional day the Scotch get to recover from Hogmany. In a direct run off between that and the post Ramadan Eid my vote would be going straight to New Year and I suspect that really would be a vote winner - ironically proving once again that the country isn't about to be overrun by creeping Sharia.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Of course it just means that, which is why i wrote celebration. Why should the Eid of two days ago be a bank holiday and not the other Eid......or the other way round......or both.
Its very simple, if you are saying Eid should be a bank holiday.....which one do you mean......or do you mean both?
Nothing whataboutery about that in the slightest.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Did anyone get Thursday off for Ascension Day? Plenty of countries' citizens did.

They do here ( France).

And as it fell on a Thursday this year, most of them take a "pont" ( bridge, or extra day) as well for today, making it a four day break.

Mind you, they are lazy ******** here.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bank holidays are a bit of a pain tbh. Everyone going to the same places on the same roads. Far better to get rid of some and replace with more annual leave taken whenever suits.

Fair enough.

Think that in the not too distant future work days per week and work hours should both get shorter to compensate/utilise the cons and pros of robotisation and automatisation.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Relevant in what sense?

If you all have a day or two off, arent they relevent to all of you then?

I mean relevant in terms of much of the population identifying with the reason for the celebration. For 95% or 93% or whatever of the UK people, Eid means absolutely nothing. Culturally Christmas means little to most people in a religious sense nowadays but it is deeply ingrained in UK/European tradition and culture. Moslem festivals are not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I mean relevant in terms of much of the population identifying with the reason for the celebration. For 95% or 93% or whatever of the UK people, Eid means absolutely nothing. Culturally Christmas means little to most people in a religious sense nowadays but it is deeply ingrained in UK/European tradition and culture. Moslem festivals are not.

Like "Late Summer Bank Holiday"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here