Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Crawley Town Be The New Rivals of Brighton?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you dont just invent rivalries, they are born of history. something Crawly FC has none of and there's no historic rivalry between the towns in general (unlike many northen/midland towns). I'd sooner say we have a rivalry with Orient, since we competed with them for a few season.

Crawley 'Gull

Oct 3, 2005
Crawley
Nooooo. To many people support both Crawley and Brighton. Crawley aren't and never will be a similar sized club to Brighton. They're just a local team that people support along with a premiership/championship/league one club. No amount of money will change that!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well said sir, couldn't have put it any better my self. Crawley gets a lot of stick on here, like i always say, yes it has it's shitty areas but so does Brighton.
Some of the shit on here about Crawley makes me die, have you recently visited Whitehawk, Mouslecomb, Crawley is a f***ing lovelly place compared to those shit holes, yer we have our fair share of Asain familys, and one area which is full of inbread wankers who just want to fight, but so does everywhere, the rest of the place is ok and I personnally know about 30 fellow Seagull Supporters, Crawley will never be a rival to Brighton, for some silly reason there rival is Aldershot?? Cant get my head round that one, but watch out for Crawley as they have plenty of dosh, in fact a massive amount of dosh spare, absoluty no debt and about to pocket £1.5m on Saturday on top of the 600k already got, a cracking chairman who like Mr Bloom has the club at heart and been a supporter all his life and they will win the league this year and based upon the squad he has and potentially will have come next season, will probably walk league 2 next year as well. I agree there are lots of "fans" who have jumped on the band wagon on this cup run, but fair play to them, 9200 going to Old trafford on Saturday thats a great effort, and if that was Brighton on Sat going to Old trafford we would have loads of fans on the band wagon as well, I for one will be at the Stoke game cheering on the number 1 side in Sussex, but number 2 side are closing in fast........and having loads of Asians in Crawley has its benefits, there are some cracking Indian restuarants!! hopefully a Sussex double come Sat night!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Id like to know what their ambition really is?. Yes I know the money is being pumped into the club but having been to the Broadfield Stadium it seems very small at the moment. Just out of curiousity because im wondering what the owners real targets are...

1.How many could they really expect to get week in week out. 3,500 average??
2.Can the Stadium be expanded and to what sort of capacity?
3. Are they the modern day Wimbeldon?..Just how far could they go?

We will always be the biggest club in sussex and shortly the biggest club on the south coast.!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Id like to know what their ambition really is?. Yes I know the money is being pumped into the club but having been to the Broadfield Stadium it seems very small at the moment. Just out of curiousity because im wondering what the owners real targets are...

1.How many could they really expect to get week in week out. 3,500 average??
2.Can the Stadium be expanded and to what sort of capacity?
3. Are they the modern day Wimbeldon?..Just how far could they go?

We will always be the biggest club in sussex and shortly the biggest club on the south coast.!

To answer your questions:

1, If in league 1 next year I reckon 3000 max, in the Blue Square the average away gate is about 30 apart from the ex league clubs, but only Luton and Wimbledon bring a big crowd down, they have them both to come at home in the next month or so and both on the box, but I would expect the crowds for those two games to be a sell out of 4500. In league one you will get more visiting fans so the gates will be bigger.
2, They can expand the "east stand" (opposite the main stand) by another 1500, so the capacity would be just under 7000 which is plenty for Crawley
3, Who knows, the owners are Crawley born and bread, have a silly amount of money to spend and so they say an untapped market in the middle east willing to invest. So based upon that, they could go all the way to League 1 in a few seasons, having no debt is the main advantage to all other sides, they paid york 250k in CASH for Broadie!! How many sides can do that in the lower levels!!

Anyway, Brighton come first, if Brighton are not playing and Crawley are at home I often pop along, they play really good football, i was really surprised when I saw them for the first time this season and have some cracking players, Tubbs is superb and will be playing championship football soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here