Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Chris Wood go....

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
to Japan with the NZ squad ( if selected ) or stay here ? If only friendlies reckon as we pay him, he should politely decline.......what say you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does the decision lie with West Brom, or us? Would Japan still go ahead with a friendly under the present circumstances?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think he should go. He is only young and I wouldn't want him to ruin his future chances of being selected for New Zealand. I know it would be a blow for us, but at least it would add another name to our 'internationals' board.

Also, it also annoys me when the likes of Stephen Gerrard always pull out of England friendly matches and still expect to be selected for the competitive matches.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think he should go. He is only young and I wouldn't want him to ruin his future chances of being selected for New Zealand. I know it would be a blow for us, but at least it would add another name to our 'internationals' board.

Also, it also annoys me when the likes of Stephen Gerrard always pull out of England friendly matches and still expect to be selected for the competitive matches.

Tend to agree, playing for your country should be a privilege that you shouldn't turn down.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
in their circumstances there is a lot to be said for retaining as many elements of normality as possible just to help people keep it together - I don't think he could possibly say no

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
With so little of the season left he should stay.

Football is a job, international friendlies are like weekend hobbies that don't pay the bills.

Maybe if it was at the start or middle of a seaosn fair enough, but not when so much is on the line for the club he's playing for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He should go. I would not deny anyone the chance to represent their nation. If you sign a player then there should be an acceptance they might get called up.....and if you sign a foreign player then you have to accept it might be at an inconvenient time.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He should go. I would not deny anyone the chance to represent their nation. If you sign a player then there should be an acceptance they might get called up.....and if you sign a foreign player then you have to accept it might be at an inconvenient time.

Spot on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Game is on 29th so would possibly miss Swindon at home on Saturday 26th March and definitely Dagenham away on the Tuesday

maybe miss Rochdale away (Sat 2nd April) depending how tiring his flight back is

still feel he should go if invited - sport can play an important role in helping the Japanese to return to normality and cope with the aftermath of what is happening there

Didn't Gus encourage Andrew Crofts to play for Wales when selected even though it wasn't specially convenient for the club?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Think the game was arranged before last weeks' events. I'm with the honour thing and all that, but feel our need is greater, I know it's a selfish attitude, but good to be in such a position for a change. The player must have some input, the manager must have some idea of our situation, think a compromise will be reached to satisfy both sides. If Gus had a dual role with the Uruguay setup, for arguments' sake, would we like him to go off for two games ?
Who'll take penalties?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes, I guess.

Although, in Wood's interview after the game on Saturday, he said that one was between him and 'Dixie' (Gary Dicker). Barnes was not playing, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here