Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Celtic and Rangers join an ENGLISH league?

Should Rangers and Celtic be allowed to join an ENGLISH league?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 93 85.3%
  • Ohhh, stick those splinters up my passage

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The more they win the more Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal seem to whinge. It's time for a shake-up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I thought Scotland wanted independance? They cant have it both ways.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Are clubs allowing to field teams in more than one league?

For example, what's to stop them fielding a Celtic/Rangers team B in the lowest English league whilst Celtic and Rangers carried on in Scotland?

When their team Bs start getting in to the lower proper leagues they would simply need to pull out of the scottish league, put their weight behind their B teams and then rename them to Celtic and Rangers?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy said:
Are clubs allowing to field teams in more than one league?

For example, what's to stop them fielding a Celtic/Rangers team B in the lowest English league whilst Celtic and Rangers carried on in Scotland?

When their team Bs start getting in to the lower proper leagues they would simply need to pull out of the scottish league, put their weight behind their B teams and then rename them to Celtic and Rangers?

I doubt they are allowed to as it comes down to national associations and that they should be playing in the league of the national association. I know we have some Welsh teams in our league and the odd team that is part of a principality (Monaco) play in another countries league, but there are very few exceptions. Also I think a lot of these oddities happened before UEFA set the rules out properly.

IMO its only a matter of time before we end up with a Euro Premier league. You only have to look at the Premiership to see its now a two horse race. Although having said that, its only a two horse race whilst no other clubs have billionaire sugar daddies.
So I guess its more of a money thing. I think the only way to make a level playing field would be to introduce wage caps and foriegn players caps. In the same way formula one has to cap the modifications allowed on a car, FiFA, EUFA need to do the same with football.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Franks Wild Years said:
IMO its only a matter of time before we end up with a Euro Premier league. You only have to look at the Premiership to see its now a two horse race. Although having said that, its only a two horse race whilst no other clubs have billionaire sugar daddies.
So I guess its more of a money thing. I think the only way to make a level playing field would be to introduce wage caps and foriegn players caps. In the same way formula one has to cap the modifications allowed on a car, FiFA, EUFA need to do the same with football.

Don't be STUPID! That would mean a far more enjoyable league and less money in the FAs coffers..

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
They shouldnt join our leagues, but i think that there could be some sort of UK Cup or summit like that with the top 3 teams from England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland all playing knockout games.

(It would replace the League cup which most of the 'Big' clubs dont take seriously anyway)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
NO, they are scottish teams in the scotish league, if they joined the English league surley we could then join the scottish leagues.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
ali jenkins said:
They shouldnt join our leagues, but i think that there could be some sort of UK Cup or summit like that with the top 3 teams from England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland all playing knockout games.

(It would replace the League cup which most of the 'Big' clubs dont take seriously anyway)

Yeah or just bring all the Scottish teams into the league cup and regionalise it in the early rounds. Would def make it more interesting.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No.

I just don't see how it would work. Would they be exempt from relegation? If so, that's madness, but if not we would have the possibility that they could go down and face trips to Colchester and Barnsley in The Championship? That would be equally crazy.

How would the European qualification places work? Presumably each "League" gets a certain amount of places, so if Celtic and Rangers finished in qualifying spots, they qualify at the expense of English clubs in The Premiership, but how would the co-efficients work? Did Celtic and Rangers previous success count towards our co-efficient or The SPL's?

Nah, there is FAR too much that no-one would agree on. And if the Home Internationals is a non-starter for being reformed because of the violence in England vs Scotland games, why on Earth would the authorities agree to two such clashes every single week.

It isn't going to happen, and quite right to.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Franks Wild Years said:
I'd be all in favor of a European super leage. Celtic, Rangers, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea can all piss off and join some circus where there's no relegation, they wear different kits for every game and each match is available only on pay-per-view on their own TV channels.

We (and the Scots) could have a nice competitive league knowing that all the money and prima-donnas would graduate to the Super League. Oh, and they can ban their players from international competition as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Voroshilov said:
Celtic would be good, but we don't need Rangers and their bigoted neanderthal following.

so all those loveable Celtic rogues with their pro-IRA banter are welcome then are they?

Celtic are the pikeyest team in the whole world. Primordial slime of the lowest order.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Wwhy not combine the whole english/scottish premier leagues- mnay shake up the game a bit... if you took celtic and rangers away from the SPL, the title would be worthless.

though with all this isdepdendance thing going on, i can't really see it happening.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
The correct answer is no, we do not need either of these clubs competing in this country...But if they were allowed to join then they must start at the bottom and work there way up.

Also if they were to join then they would have to come together because they both form part of the "Auld Firm" which in itself is a brand. The Premier League is one big gravy train and for Rangers & Celtic to join it would require 2 clubs giving up Premiership status. So whilst Chelski, Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool would probably vote in favour as it does not affect them the other clubs would oppose it.

As for the bigotory issue, it is just another reason for them not to join. Rangers on the whole would be welcomed Celtic on the other hand would not. They are both as bad as each other on what they sing, etc but at least Rangers are trying to stamp it out whilst Cetlic let it carry on.

Anyway, keep them both out.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Buzzer said:
so all those loveable Celtic rogues with their pro-IRA banter are welcome then are they?

Celtic are the pikeyest team in the whole world. Primordial slime of the lowest order.

Just admit it - you don't like Catholics or the Irish.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
i say yes because sunderland,newcastle,middlesborough are closer to scotland and they play in the english league

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
With Scottish Independence just months away,the Bravehearts should accept that this means no free access to English pounds via playing abroad.

Celtiv v East Stirling

Stenhousemuir v Rangers

The exotic ring of foreign climes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here